So, I've heard a lot of different opinions on how pedal chains should go, and what pedals should go in the effects loop of an amp and which ones shouldn't. I've recently decided to redo my pedalboard and I have a new amp on the way also (EVH 5150 III 100W); and the effects I have are:

Boss TU-3 Tuner
MXR Dyna Comp (On the way also)
Kirk Hammett wah
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
DigiTech Multi Chorus
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

The main thing I'm sure of is not to put dirt pedals in the loop, other than that I've heard/read many different opinions of where everything should go. I just want to be able to get the best tone possible, so any advice would be appreciated.
There are no exact rules, but generally yeah dirt pedals work best in front the amp. So my suggestion would be: Guitar > Tuner > Comp > OD > Amp input. Amp send > Wah > Chorus > Flanger > Noise Gate > Delay > Amp return. Noise gates are tricky. Try it in a few places.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 16, 2015,
^ put wah in front of the amp

generally put dirt, compression, wah in front of the amp

delay and reverb in the loop if you're using amp distortion

modulation can be either in front or in the loop, depending on the type of tone you want (in front: generally subtler; in the loop: generally more exaggerated).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?