Hey guys, I bought an almost new ESP Horizon NT-II about a week ago, and I put it in C standard. Now, over the course of the past week I've been noticing that I've been fine tuning it a lot. I'm talking about every 5-10 minutes a string will have gone noticeably sour. I know it's a quality guitar and that it shouldn't really be behaving this way, any ideas as to what might be the culprit? I've put on new strings, but I've bent them this way and that to make sure that they're broken in, and there's no problem with the bridge or tuners that I can see.

Any idea what might be going on?

Cheers!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Jul 16, 2015,
Nut. Not wide/deep enough or badly cut.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Nut. Not wide/deep enough or badly cut.

Would you think it would be that the larger strings that I put in aren't sitting in the nut the right way? The largest is a 56, that isn't too crazy.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

My ESP is having serious tuning issues. It's gotta be the nut on mine. If I bend the string behind the nut, the pitch increases and doesn't drop back into the appropriate tuning.

You can file them to the correct sizes, but I haven't done so myself. The proper tools are crazy expensive for a set of 6 and they are very specific sizes. So you'll be buying a set for one specific set of strings.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Re-check how straight your neck is. In my experience, after you make that sort of change you've got to occasionally go back and re-adjust the truss rod.
Ahah, well mine goes back to tune... I'm not going to keep it in C for a long time, mostly just for a little dicking around with some of my favorite melodeath bands, but it's a little irking. I don't like feeling like I have to take tools to a new ESP to make it stay in tune.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by dthmtl3
Re-check how straight your neck is. In my experience, after you make that sort of change you've got to occasionally go back and re-adjust the truss rod.

I'll give that a go, thanks!
Quote by luxeion

Buy some welding torch tip cleaners and widen the nut slots so that the strings fit in the nut properly. You don't need any of those outrageously expensive files from stewmac. And nor do you need to take the guitar to a tech.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Buy some welding torch tip cleaners and widen the nut slots so that the strings fit in the nut properly. You don't need any of those outrageously expensive files from stewmac. And nor do you need to take the guitar to a tech.

I'll check that out, thanks!
Quote by luxeion

c standard tuning with what .010~.056 strings on a 25.5" scale? if true, they never will stay in tune long because you don't have enough tension on them. if they were sticking in the nut you'd hear them ping and snap every time you tuned them back up. do they stay in tune better if you tune to d standard? go heavier to keep the tension correct. you may have to open up the nut slots a bit if they start sticking. that's a nice guitar with a neck through so you can set the action and neck relief pretty low provided you have enough string tension. rule of thumb is up one gage for every whole step down. you'll also have to tweak the intonation due to the heavier strings as well.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 16, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Thanks!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by ad_works
c standard tuning with what .010~.056 strings on a 25.5" scale? if true, they never will stay in tune long because you don't have enough tension on them. if they were sticking in the nut you'd hear them ping and snap every time you tuned them back up. do they stay in tune better if you tune to d standard? go heavier to keep the tension correct. you may have to open up the nut slots a bit if they start sticking. that's a nice guitar with a neck through so you can set the action and neck relief pretty low provided you have enough string tension. rule of thumb is up one gage for every whole step down.

I'm running Not Even Slinky's in Standard C, and I removed the .24 G string and put in a .22 because that plain 24 was hell. Nothing is pinging or snapping from what I can tell. I can try and go to D standard and get back to you in a sec!
Quote by luxeion

Quote by ad_works
c standard tuning with what .010~.056 strings on a 25.5" scale? if true, they never will stay in tune long because you don't have enough tension on them. if they were sticking in the nut you'd hear them ping and snap every time you tuned them back up. do they stay in tune better if you tune to d standard? go heavier to keep the tension correct. you may have to open up the nut slots a bit if they start sticking. that's a nice guitar with a neck through so you can set the action and neck relief pretty low provided you have enough string tension. rule of thumb is up one gage for every whole step down. you'll also have to tweak the intonation due to the heavier strings as well.

Hey, I daresay that seemed to be the issue! I've been noodling around in Drop C and the strings aren't changing tuning at all.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Hey, I daresay that seemed to be the issue! I've been noodling around in Drop C and the strings aren't changing tuning at all.

excellent!