After a while of searching for a new guitar I managed to find a listing for a satin black ESP Horizon on Blocket (Sweden's version of Ebay, pretty much). The seller was selling it for quite a steal and aside from a little buckle rash on the back she was brand new and barely played. After contacting ESP with the serial and consulting a few forums and my local shop, I made the call and it was on my doorstep within 4 days.

SPECS:
25.5 Scale
24 Jumbo Frets
Seymour Duncan JB and '59 pickups
Coil Tap
String thru, with Gotoh bridge and tuners.
Ebony board, from what I can tell by comparing it to my Eclipse.

From what I could tell was that this was no run of the mill NT-II. I'd never seen a 6 string Horizon in satin black before, and never without the 12th fret ESP inlay. After sending ESP pictures and the serial number they were unable to identify the serial number in their database, but they verified that it was indeed a real ESP. According to the serial number it was made in 2011. I'm guessing that it was a limited shop run up here in Scandinavia.

Compared to my Eclipse the Horizon feels much lighter, and has a noticeably brighter tone. I could not find out anything regarding the wood but I'm guessing it's Alder. It plays fantastically and the neck is super smooth and reaching the 24th is no problem at all, it shouldn't be I've been having a few minor tuning gripes with it, but then again I haven't really set it up optimally yet and that should sort itself out no problem. I think the neck is a C shape and it feels quite similar to my Eclipse, but a tad shreddier. Hell, both are pretty shreddy. The finish is real smooth and stealthy looking, and almost reflective. It's a very smooth satin. It ain't nothing I'll be playing smooth jazz on, but with the JB, '59 and coil tap, hell I might!

I'm super happy with it, and after coming back from work, it's in my lap until I go to bed!

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with the tuning stability, the strings I got for standard C were just not girthy enough.

Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Jul 16, 2015,
yep very nice

EDIT: If I had to guess I'd guess the horizon had a mahogany body, since most horizons in the current catalogue seem to be mahogany. Obviously that's far from conclusive proof and I could well be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 16, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep very nice

EDIT: If I had to guess I'd guess the horizon had a mahogany body, since most horizons in the current catalogue seem to be mahogany. Obviously that's far from conclusive proof and I could well be wrong.

I believe you, it is a 2011 though and it feels comparatively light to my Eclipse even without the Floyd. Then again, my guess is as good as yours. I've contacted my ESP distributor and asked them if they could dig up any information on the particular model.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

i like it when a ESP NGD actually has a ESP in it!

congrats that looks great. not really the pup combo i'd have expected but who am i?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sweet, I like that it is a non-trem guitar and a real ESP, I have plenty of guitars with Floyd's even one with a Kahler, lately I've grown to love my no trem guitars.

Congrats and happy NGD Rock On!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by gregs1020
i like it when a ESP NGD actually has a ESP in it!

congrats that looks great. not really the pup combo i'd have expected but who am i?

I can't believe people make NGDS where it's NGD ESP and it's just like an EC-256 or a M-50... You wouldn't advertise your Epi as a Gibson.

Thanks man! Tbh, I'm not the biggest fan of the pickups either, they're cool and all but I'll likely replace them with some Black Winters or the Nazgul/Sentient combo.
Quote by luxeion

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Jul 17, 2015,
Quote by Evilnine
Sweet, I like that it is a non-trem guitar and a real ESP, I have plenty of guitars with Floyd's even one with a Kahler, lately I've grown to love my no trem guitars.

Congrats and happy NGD Rock On!

Haha thanks mate! I've missed the flexibility of being able to retune without changing strings or having it take up like an hour of my day. Then again, most of the bands I listen to have at least one Floyded guitar in them somewhere, but it's not that huge of a deal. I'm really digging the increased tone and sustain I'm getting out of it. Note length forever!
Quote by luxeion

i like it definitely better than the LTD i was expecting...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i like it definitely better than the LTD i was expecting...

I know, right? it's been like 3-4 years since my last NGD and I feel that it's really reinvigorated my playing. I'm going to this big guitar jam sesh in Finland with Alexi Laiho In few weeks, so I thought I'd get something new and show up in style.
Quote by luxeion

Surprise the hell out of him- bring a Hello Kitty Strat!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Surprise the hell out of him- bring a Hello Kitty Strat!

That would be something! Get like a custom pink and white Invader too
Quote by luxeion