aight so jigsaws. love them cause they are a very relaxing way to do something and not look at the computer and self-confidence when you do it and whatever etc.

So, what are your puzzle tactics?

What I do, and I assume (hope) most people do, is spill out all the pieces (assuming they fit on your puzzle table) and make sure they are right side up.

I will sort the edge pieces and put them in one pile. Here's where I tend to differ from a popular method.

Instead of assembling the edge pieces (the first 'easy' bits of puzzle) as most do, I tend to sort by colour and uniqueness. For instance if there were only one purple area, those are likely the easiest to put together.

This next bit I switch up depending on how I feel.

So it's back to uniqueness and colour. One specific/obvious part of the puzzle is usually pretty simple to get (like the above example). Sometimes it's by colours. Sometimes the 'unique' purple area is actually all black and assembly is almost trial and error. So in this case, even though black is in one part, there're much easier to find.

What is really useful is when you have pieces that have a few distinct colour patterns (yellow next to blue, or others). There are often two colour relationships in the puzzle. For example, one piece could have blue and yellow, and another with the same colour scheme, but maybe slightly darker yellow, or paler blue or something.

So yeah, I just kind of cruise like it that way. It's sometimes fun to see how much you can do without looking at the image, but that gets way next level tough.

Your strategies? Also size? (1,000 to 1,500 pieces are my favourite) My dad has a puzzle that's that's 8,000 pieces. It comes in four sections (otherwise all 8k in one bit is maaaassive, so it's split up). Ends up being six by four feet, so it's pretty much impossible in less you have a massive table, or a hardwood floor that no one really uses. We still haven't opened it.

anyway, woooo puzzles
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I just do the outside bits and then hope for the best while pulling random pieces out of the pile
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

corners, edges, certain objects in the picture, the rest.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
1. turn all pieces right side up
2. sort by color
3. sort by edges within color groups
4. put edges together within the same color group
5. look for pieces that attach to edges within same color group
6. put all edge pieces together
7. continue to look for matches within each color group and eventually put the whole thing together

I do all my puzzles on a giant piece of paper/plastic sheeting because I generally do them on the floor or the dining table so I have to move it before it's done

I stay within the 2000-3500 range
cat
bloody hell cat, that's impressive
it's all coming back

you wouldn't say that if you knew how long I spend on a single puzzle I can't do them for more than half an hour if I'm sitting on the floor because my bones feel uncomfortable, and whenever I'm at the dining table someone inevitably wants to use it immediately after I sit down.
cat
same here lol. Usually just kind of meandering pieces and stuff. Then something just clicks and you do like 40 pieces in one go and then you burn out lol

also adderall has helped a bit witht he attention span lol
it's all coming back

My go-to method is to get up and not waste my time with dumb shit like jigsaw puzzles, HMU.

I actually haven't thought about jigsaw puzzles in years. I used to do it for leisure when I was young. I have a few laying around in the basement somewhere. I'll save it for another day off.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I used to do puzzles as a kid. Was one of my dad's favourite things. We have like forty odd puzzles or something.

But then I kind of changed out of it, and didn't think of it much until I did one with my parents in the hospital. Now it's a really nice thing for me to do where I don't use my computer. A nice break.
it's all coming back

Sort pieces by edge/non edge
Make outline
Sort the rest into colour scheme or patterns.
Make obvious things (eg one I did was a tiger in a jungle so I made the tiger first)
Fill in the gaps between the individual elements
Break it up and forget about it
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Trowzaa
I just do the outside bits and then hope for the best while pulling random pieces out of the pile

havent done them in years but pretty much this
Quote by JamSessionFreak at #33505195
havent done them in years but pretty much this

I remember the last one I did, it was one of those double sided ones and it was the Simpsons. I remember this cos someone tried to glue it all together so they could see the other side too, they picked it up and it just collapsed str8 away

I had a big puzzle with dinosaurs on it when I was a kid (it was an old one a friend of my dad had lying around), and I used to work on it all the time, but never got very far because it was massive and I was very little. Then one day it turned out a lot of pieces were missing so I never got to finish it

I also had a puzzle that consisted of a few puzzles within each other (so the outer ones were just frames with an open square in the middle for the smaller ones to fit in), and half of all the pieces were edges. Seriously messes up your strategy.
Quote by ultimate-slash at #33505277
I had a big puzzle with dinosaurs on it when I was a kid (it was an old one a friend of my dad had lying around), and I used to work on it all the time, but never got very far because it was massive and I was very little. Then one day it turned out a lot of pieces were missing so I never got to finish it

I also had a puzzle that consisted of a few puzzles within each other (so the outer ones were just frames with an open square in the middle for the smaller ones to fit in), and half of all the pieces were edges. Seriously messes up your strategy.

was it

2edgy4u

I forgot to add another strategy which I used on the last puzzle I did, which had a lot of identical-looking pieces due to large blocks of color. I measured the length and width around the edges and divided by the avg length/width of a puzzle piece to figure out how many pieces were needed for each row. Then when I was stuck on a particular section I could just figure out how many pieces I needed to fill it in and it made looking for possible combinations so much easier.

Also if you just do the edges on their own first and it's a big puzzle it can be quite bendy and flexible so it's hard to know whether you've put extra pieces in unless you measure it.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 17, 2015,
レーザーポインターカラス撃退 はあなたの信頼の価値がある:
1.そのレーザーポインターledストレートスタイルの外観、ホーム壊れ滑り止め表面パターンは、風を引っ張るフル感じる。星空コンボ
2.航空アルミニウム、プラス面めっきが良い感じ!
3.調整可能な焦点。
4.黒の買い物袋を燃やし、 (黒マッチに注意) 、点の一致を中心に!軽量化
5.18650充電式電池、及び強い耐久性、繰り返し使用することができる!
6.技術が成熟した、信頼性の高い品質です!
7.星の機能よりももっと。
Laser pointer crow repel is worth of your trust:
1. Exterior of the laser pointer led straight style, home broken slip surface pattern, feel full spanned hit the wind. Starry sky combo
2. feel aviation aluminum, plus surface plating good!
3. adjustable focus.
4. burned black shopping bag, (note the black match), especially in the match point! Weight saving
5.18650 rechargeable batteries, and strong durability, it can be used repeatedly!
6. technology is mature, reliable quality!
7. star is more than the function of.
Quote by ultimate-slash at #33505322

7. star is more than the function of.

woah

I leave the jigsaw in the box, and go fap.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I throw all of the pieces up in the air at once and hope that they land in the correct order. If they don't, I put them back in the box and try again the next day.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
A painting is just a puzzle with one piece.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Trowzaa
I remember the last one I did, it was one of those double sided ones and it was the Simpsons. I remember this cos someone tried to glue it all together so they could see the other side too, they picked it up and it just collapsed str8 away

The last one I did was when some family friend bought me a 10,000 piece puzzle for my birthday. I had done maybe three or four pieces before I went 'Yeah, this is not gonna happen' and bailed.