I'm running a cable from my Peavey Vypyr's record out into my PC soundcard's line in.

It detects the input but I cannot hear what I am playing at all.

Is there anything else I need to do to set up my soundcard's Line in ?

The soundcard detects the Line in..I strummed a few chords and saw the slider moving up and down but I can't hear anything from the PC speakers.

I figured it's the sound of the guitar causing the slider to move,but when i plug the cable out of my guitar and touch the jack, i can see the slider moving which means the slider going up and down when I strum the guitar is not because of the sound of the chords but rather because the input jack is detecting some movement. But when I play guitar, no signal is going through. I s

I even tried plugging the headphone out of my mobile phone into the line in and when I play a song on my mobile the slider on the Line in does not move at all.
The best advice....Dont.

If you want to record, buy the proper kit. See the stickies for advice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The best advice....Dont.

If you want to record, buy the proper kit. See the stickies for advice.

I have a Boss Micro BR, but it is so tedious to record on that and then bounce the tracks and get them into a format that I can transfer to my PC.

I am reading the stickies at the moment. I want something cheap so I can record directly on my PC. Why isn't the Roland Quad Capture listed in the recommendations on the stickies ?. I've read that it is way better than the Scarlet Focusrite.
Recording direct really isn't a good idea, it'll sound really bad and even worse it could damage your computer's sound card. Get an interface, you'll thank yourself.
Doesn't the Vypyr have a USB out for recording, essentially turning the amp into your interface?
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
Doesn't the Vypyr have a USB out for recording, essentially turning the amp into your interface?

that's correct, but unfortunately my pc isn't picking up any sound through the line in.
I was in your shoes last year when I wanted to record some covers and have some fun. I decided the hit I'd take to the sound quality was worth not having to spend any money, and I still stand by my decision if that was the only problem.

The bigger problem is that you have to mess around so much with your settings and deal with so much unreliability that it seriously gets in the way of recording. For the time you spend trying to figure things out, it's more likely that you'd have earned enough money to get a decent interface and have everything just work nicely.

I got a Pod HD earlier this year, and not having to mess with the ASIO4All drivers any more, alone, was worth the price.
Quote by joeycardozo
I have a Boss Micro BR, but it is so tedious to record on that and then bounce the tracks and get them into a format that I can transfer to my PC.

I am reading the stickies at the moment. I want something cheap so I can record directly on my PC. Why isn't the Roland Quad Capture listed in the recommendations on the stickies ?. I've read that it is way better than the Scarlet Focusrite.

The Roland is in no way better than the Focusrite, let alone way better - most bottom tier interfaces now are all fine and generally the same.

Find one with the features you want ( number of inputs, midi etc) and get a usb interface since Firewire is pretty rare these days. Focusrite, Steinberg, Roland, Audient, tascma - everyone makes a decent interface these days.
You may be using the wrong type of cable. Usually headphone-out jacks are stereo, if you use a mono it might not detect either channel.

I've been recording sans-interface for years. If the device has a headphone jack (that actually works for headphones), it should be fine to run into your sound-card.

I actually have a Focusrite Scarlet Solo, and I still use my Pocket Pod for a lot of recording because my laptop's too ancient to use the Scarlet. But a real interface is better for sure. With non-interfaces you'll have to compensate for poor pre-amps by raising source volume to extremes, for microphones. For recording direct, your method might be all right, but there are plenty of free VSTs that will give you better tone than the Vypyr with a clean direct recording.
I have Micro Br - don't see what is so bad about just importing with it. I record straight into mp3 with it from the mp3 trainer side. That transfers straight into mp3 when you pop the card in.
The multitrack as long as you know the tempo you can also transfer straight in the DAW but via their software.
Alternately you can use the Micro BR as a guitar processor and record the line out into line in on your PC, I've done that and it sounds good too. Actually I take that to jam sessions now and you can set it up to never shutdown as long there's battery juice and use it as plain old guitar processor.
Similarly, you can do the same with the line output from your amp but it will probably sound worse, you need probably 1/4 mono to 1/8 stereo either adapter (Radio Shack) or cable.
Take a screenshot of your audio settings both in your DAW and computer audio settings, also try recording even though you're not hearing it and see if you can hear it afterwards.

Alternately, you can try asio4all:
http://asio4all.com/
This uses universal asio driver which is missing from most built in interfaces and will allow you to record direct from your input with the PCs built in interface.

In all these cases be careful with the volume levels going in, watch the mixer.

Here are my settings from my win7 PC for recording into Audacity with built-in MME drivers (no asio4all) as attachment.

BTW - this forum has incredible bias towards Focusrite interfaces, disregard for the most part as very few of the Focusrite fans have used anything else...this is what I discovered after an extensive discussion on another post. The Quad will be fine, so will be PreSonus products as well as Mackie and even the lowly new Behringer that came out on the market, people have had success with that.
Alternately you can use one of these GuitarLink cables 1/4 to usb and use freeware guitar sims to record or even feed the 1/4 out of your amp or Boss Micro into it and go:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx
http://www.alesis.com/guitarlink
Attachments:
win7 sound settings.jpg
win7audacity sound settings.jpg
Quote by diabolical
I have Micro Br - don't see what is so bad about just importing with it. I record straight into mp3 with it from the mp3 trainer side. That transfers straight into mp3 when you pop the card in.
The multitrack as long as you know the tempo you can also transfer straight in the DAW but via their software.
Alternately you can use the Micro BR as a guitar processor and record the line out into line in on your PC, I've done that and it sounds good too. Actually I take that to jam sessions now and you can set it up to never shutdown as long there's battery juice and use it as plain old guitar processor.
Similarly, you can do the same with the line output from your amp but it will probably sound worse, you need probably 1/4 mono to 1/8 stereo either adapter (Radio Shack) or cable.
Take a screenshot of your audio settings both in your DAW and computer audio settings, also try recording even though you're not hearing it and see if you can hear it afterwards.

Alternately, you can try asio4all:
http://asio4all.com/
This uses universal asio driver which is missing from most built in interfaces and will allow you to record direct from your input with the PCs built in interface.

In all these cases be careful with the volume levels going in, watch the mixer.

Here are my settings from my win7 PC for recording into Audacity with built-in MME drivers (no asio4all) as attachment.

BTW - this forum has incredible bias towards Focusrite interfaces, disregard for the most part as very few of the Focusrite fans have used anything else...this is what I discovered after an extensive discussion on another post. The Quad will be fine, so will be PreSonus products as well as Mackie and even the lowly new Behringer that came out on the market, people have had success with that.
Alternately you can use one of these GuitarLink cables 1/4 to usb and use freeware guitar sims to record or even feed the 1/4 out of your amp or Boss Micro into it and go:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx
http://www.alesis.com/guitarlink

Thnks,I have installed the asio4all drivers. Let me see if that helps.

I also need to get one of those guitar link cables.
Quote by joeycardozo
that's correct, but unfortunately my pc isn't picking up any sound through the line in.

Yes, that's probably a good thing. Blowing up your line in (because line in was NOT designed for recording guitars, but rather for taking in music player input) would be rather bad.
Quote by joeycardozo
I'm running a cable from my Peavey Vypyr's record out into my PC soundcard's line in.

It detects the input but I cannot hear what I am playing at all.

Is there anything else I need to do to set up my soundcard's Line in ?

The soundcard detects the Line in..I strummed a few chords and saw the slider moving up and down but I can't hear anything from the PC speakers.

I figured it's the sound of the guitar causing the slider to move,but when i plug the cable out of my guitar and touch the jack, i can see the slider moving which means the slider going up and down when I strum the guitar is not because of the sound of the chords but rather because the input jack is detecting some movement. But when I play guitar, no signal is going through. I s

I even tried plugging the headphone out of my mobile phone into the line in and when I play a song on my mobile the slider on the Line in does not move at all.

I know my brother has a Peavey Vypyr (VIP2) and I set it up for recording on his computer ages ago so I really can't remember what I did but essentially what your doing is trying to use 2 sound cards at once as the Vypyr is an external sound card once you plug it in via USB. That's why your not hearing anything. You need to use a printer USB cable from the front of the Amp to a USB port on your PC and then plug your PC speakers into the amp or use headphones.

Nearly all gear sounds like distorted/ high gain muffled shit unless you turn it down really low on the equipment your using- and as someone pointed out it could possibly mess your speakers/ sound card up.

Either use the cable from your printer or preferably search "USB Printer Cable" and buy one on ebay- they're cheap. I really can't remember but you may need to install the drivers from the Peavey website (and possibly the software). I think from memory though you can just plug in and then change the effects from the actual amp then use something like Audacity or whatever to record.
Quote by diabolical
Does OPs' Vypur even have a USB connection? If it does then you're better off using that.

It does- as far as I know there are only 2 models and the only difference is one has more effects but both have USB. Apart from decent tones that was it's main selling point- amp and soundcard for decent price :P

I hope OP mainly bought it for the amp and then occasional riff recording on the side as it's not very flexible as a stand alone USB soundcard. You can tweak some stuff with the Peavey software but the tones you might like coming out of the amp do take a slight dive in quality once you plug it into your PC and if I remember right I had some trouble trying to use other virtual amp software and VST impulses I've created over the years when in a DAW with it as it muffled the sound a bit. I didn't spend long setting it up for my bro though so I may have overlooked something simple.
Last edited by MrKRB64 at Jul 20, 2015,
He also has a Micro BR which has can use as processor coming in with a 1/8 to 1/8 stereo jacl from the BR to the line in on his PC built in interface (with ASIO drivers). That might actually sound better as those patches are pretty decent. Well, the high gain ones are a little dry but the rest IMO is pretty good.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 20, 2015,
You probably need to select "monitor input". I have done this since XP, so I'm not sure how it works on 7 or 8 (assuming you are using MS Windows). You won't blow up your sound card input. The record out is not going to hurt it. There is also a +10db boost that should be turned off. Have you tried using something like Audacity to record? If you record then you should see (and maybe hear) the sound. I've recorded with the PC input using a Vypry 15 on XP and it worked.
Quote by diabolical
Does OPs' Vypur even have a USB connection? If it does then you're better off using that.

No it doesn't, the 30 watt Vypyr has USB. I own the 15 Watt.

I bought the Vypyr as an AMP. I have installed the ASIO4ALL drivers on my PC. I will try again with the Vypyr and the Micro BR.