Hi im mostly a blues/ blues rock player. I play BB king Buddy Guy Hendrix and SRV but i also like grunge and hard rock. i think both the LP and the strat can do blues grunge and hard rock but is the strat a good guitar for like "heavy blues"? i give you an example can the strat do this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_lOZI9KWI or this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNH6PX-2euM ? or is the LP better for the job?
depending on how picky you are about tone vs playing, yes or no.

any guitar can sound great, it just depends on who's doing the picking.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There are "heavy blues" players who favor each, some who play both, and some who play neither.

It's more about your particular tastes in ergonomics and visuals, and how your amp & pedals are dialed in.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yes. Virtually any electric can be used for virtually any genre of amplified music if your amp & pedals are properly dialed in.

Your amp is the bedrock of your sound. It defines your tone. Your pedals warp your tone this way & that. The guitar's tonal influence is mainly about fine tuning.

Put differently, if your overall tone is an ice cream sundae, the amp is your ice cream, pedals are the chocolate, caramel, butterscotch, nuts & sprinkles, and the cherry on the top is the guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 17, 2015,
With those players you listed there you're about straight down the middle when it comes to strats versus les pauls. about half of them used humbuckers, half strats.

It's really your call. You could also consider something like a fat strat or HSH strat/superstrat.

EDIT: Regarding those videos, I'd say (I only listened to the first few seconds) that an appropriate fuzz pedal would be the most important thing there.

While I know what the regulars above are saying about most guitars being able to do most genres, I don't agree that having the right guitar isn't important, especially when you're looking at two polar opposites, and classics at that (i.e. which have a very celebrated tone of their own). You can get a good blues rock sound out of a strat or a les paul... but if you want the specific sound of a strat, it's very difficult (if not impossible) to get that out of a les paul, and vice-versa.

But yeah a fuzz pedal is what you want for those tones, that's the tone of a fuzz pedal rather than a specific guitar I think. I'm not that well up on fuzz so I'm not too sure of exactly which one you want (again, like the strat and les paul thing, you want the right one (or at least a clone of the right one) or it won't sound right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 17, 2015,
deja vu didn't we just have this ?.

ok most has been answered to a degree already. a strat won't nail BB King or say Peter Green tones. a LP won't sound like SRV, buddy guy or most hendrix (please note that Red House was done on a gibson ans was often played live on one as well). if that is a big deal to you then you'll have to choose a side so to speak. of course both styles of guitar can play blues just fine. you may also consider a semi-hollow as another option (es-335 style).

when you say funk are we talking 70s type stuff like Funkadelic or are we talking RHCP. again both styles of guitar have been used. for 70s funk a strat or semi-hollow were most often used (but the Theme From Shaft was a LP). RHCP was strats for the most part.

really it comes down to what you are more comfortable playing. a compromise would be an HSS guitar which gives you the bridge humbucker and the neck single coil tones to work with.
Heavy Blues on a Strat? No problem if you got the chops and a bit of gain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRtL-OcPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gU17ogStBc
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 17, 2015,
just noticed that this is the 2nd thread along the same lines form the OP. dude what's up with this you need to be more focused. that or you're jerking our chains
I think funk is probably where the Les Paul would fall down most - and possibly your biggest problem with that and especially with SRV and Hendrix would be thumb-over-neck stuff, which is particularly uncomfortable on Gibby style necks - but I tend to be of the view that it's a lot easier to thin out a humbucker sound to sound like a single coil than beef up a single coil to sound like a humbucker; I suspect others might disagree.

Regardless, both Les Pauls and Strats are capable of any style you care to throw at them if you know what you're doing, though I would probably tend towards the Strat myself, and as was already suggested an HSS Strat might just hit the spot.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
A guitar is a guitar. If you want a truly versatile guitar go for an ES-335. Les Pauls can do everything, Strats can do everything. I actually like Telecasters with a humbucker pickup in the neck position. Although from your two choices, I'd lean on the Strat...but seriously, it's more of the amp rather than the guitar that'll help shape most of your sound.
Quote by Hence My Name
A guitar is a guitar. If you want a truly versatile guitar go for an ES-335. Les Pauls can do everything, Strats can do everything. I actually like Telecasters with a humbucker pickup in the neck position. Although from your two choices, I'd lean on the Strat...but seriously, it's more of the amp rather than the guitar that'll help shape most of your sound.

show me a LP that does the position 2 and 4 quack tones... i dare you. never going to get a trebly chime out of a LP either. really they are two different guitars tonally. already mentioned using an ES-335 style guitar as an option
Re: Funk on an LP

Captain Kirk Douglas of The Roots tends to favor al kinds of HB equipped guitars, including LPs of various kinds.

If you look at Parliament/Funkadelic, you will find the assorted guitarists using all kinds of guitars, including ones metalheads favor, like BC Rich.

So I'll reiterate and clarify: while you may not be able to generate every kind of tone associated within any given genre, a knowledgable guitarist can play any guitar in any genre if he has the right amps and pedals for the job.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 17, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
show me a LP that does the position 2 and 4 quack tones... i dare you. never going to get a trebly chime out of a LP either. really they are two different guitars tonally. already mentioned using an ES-335 style guitar as an option

I'll dm you when I get the chance to go to my music store. BTW does it count if I use a LP type guitar with coil splitting.

And opps, my bad. But yeah, ES-335 is a really good option still.
Last edited by Hence My Name at Jul 17, 2015,
Quote by Hence My Name
I'll dm you when I get the chance to go to my music store. BTW does it count if I use a LP type guitar with coil splitting.

And opps, my bad. But yeah, ES-335 is a really good option still.

well you said LP but sure. since the quack is a result of using either the bridge and midle or the neck and middle pickup on a strat i don't care what you do you ain't getting that with a LP style guitar.

your average coil split won't give you a true singe coil sound either. and yes the ES-335 is a good option for what the OP wants
I'm with monwobobbo. Coil splits on a regular 2 humbucker guitar sound more like a tele to me than a strat. Maybe if you had a 3 humbucker guitar with coil splits and a 5-way switch wired up like a strat, that might get into the ballpark of a strat. But there aren't any guitars I can think of with that setup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Re: Funk on an LP, pt 2
Quote by dannyalcatraz

If you look at Parliament/Funkadelic, you will find the assorted guitarists using all kinds of guitars, including ones metalheads favor, like BC Rich.

...like Michael Hampton, who has been in the lineup since @1975:

He has also played JEMs, and even Strats in his P-Funk tenure. Probably other stuff as well.

Quote by monwobobbo
well you said LP but sure. since the quack is a result of using either the bridge and midle or the neck and middle pickup on a strat i don't care what you do you ain't getting that with a LP style guitar.

your average coil split won't give you a true singe coil sound either. and yes the ES-335 is a good option for what the OP wants

P90 doesn't count?
Quote by dazza027
P90 doesn't count?

while single coil they have a different design and sound. they don't really sound like a strat at all.
Quote by monwobobbo
while single coil they have a different design and sound. they don't really sound like a strat at all.

P90s are a very hot single coil and really are their own beast.
Moving on.....
Quote by monwobobbo

+1

a split humbucker sounds way closer to a strat than most p90s. and they're not even super-close.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do what lots of other people do and get a strat and a les paul. These two are major pillars in many lifetime guitarist's inventory.
Quote by Seriden
Do what lots of other people do and get a strat and a les paul. These two are major pillars in many lifetime guitarist's inventory.

while not a advice it's very limiting. better to say get a guitar that has single coils and another with humbuckers to cover as many bases as possible. i have an SG and a BC Rich Eagle to cover mine as i just don't get along with Les Pauls playing wise. the Eagle gives me a very similar sound which is close enough for me. yes you get odd looks from blues purist types but so what. let the playing do the talking.