Hey.

I just want you guys to name me a good mic for recording 70's/80's rock guitar.

Just name some popular products that are quite mainstream I heard much good of the Shure Sm57.

I run my guitar into my bugera V22 and I hope the mic will help me achieve sounds like: Ratt, Quiet Riot, Kiss, AC/DC, David Lee Roth/Steve Vai, Cinderella, Van Halen (I know I will never get that sound without a cranked to 11 amp with all the special plugs etc.),Extreme, Steelheart.

I know I listed quite some different sounding bands in one list. But my preference goes to David Lee Roth, Ratt and Steelheart. I know it's all mostly amps, cabs and guitars that make the sound (and yes, the player.) But maybe there are types of mics that will help me bring that sound to my cheaper amp.
The mic, regardless of which you choose, isnt going to be performing any magic tricks for you. The Shure Sm57 is versatile, durable, and extremely affordable for what you're getting. It's also especially suited for electric guitars. Personally, I don't think there's any reason to get anything else unless you have a specific reason why the Sm57 wouldnt do just fine and I dont think thats the case here.

If I could have one mic it would be the Sm57 for the way its quality and versatility suits my needs. In fact, I do just have one mic and its an Sm57. I'm not a mic expert so other people can probably give you a more technical answer. In the end for me though, its not even really the equipment that matters, its what you're putting into it so I'm all for getting something you can basically set and forget and focus on the rest. If you cant get a good sound with this mic, then youll just be wasting money on a more expensive option you cant fully utilize anyway.

Cheers
Another one for the SM57. It works in the studio, on stage, and for vocals. Doesn't break the bank either. There is a reason it's an industry staple.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by jmako
The mic, regardless of which you choose, isnt going to be performing any magic tricks for you. The Shure Sm57 is versatile, durable, and extremely affordable for what you're getting.
This.

If you want to record vocals as well put a pop filter in front of it and you're set.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.