Hey guys. I'm expecting a NGD in about 2 weeks of an SM57 and want to know the best way to get the signal from the Mic into my computer.

A quick google search found me an XLR to USB adapter but I also read somewhere that I'll need a preamp because the mic signal wont be loud enough otherwise for recording purposes. Is this true? If so what is the cheapest pre amp I could get away with for basic home recording? (No need for crazy expensive studio equipment or gig equipment. Just need to get my mic signal into my DAW)

Amazon.com: Shure X2U XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter: Musical Instruments Here is the XLR to USB adapter I was talking about.

Would it be possible to just use one of those Line 6 Pod UX2s and not use Pod Farm at all but just use it as a means of getting the signal into the computer since they are XLR capable? Maybe a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? Any response, solutions, or insight are greatly appreciated. This will be my first time recording anything that wasn't DI so I need some help here.
Last edited by cheosamad at Jul 17, 2015,
I have an SM57 as well and use the Scarlett 2i2 and it works great. I just plug the mic into the interface with a standard XLR cable and the Scarlett provides the power. The Scarlett will also give you the opportunity to plug in and record your guitar or another microphone at the same time which will probably be way more useful than a single XLR to USB adapter.
Quote by cheosamad

Would it be possible to just use one of those Line 6 Pod UX2s and not use Pod Farm at all but just use it as a means of getting the signal into the computer since they are XLR capable?

I use a UX1 and a SM57. Works great.
Quote by KeepingTabsIO
I have an SM57 as well and use the Scarlett 2i2 and it works great. I just plug the mic into the interface with a standard XLR cable and the Scarlett provides the power. The Scarlett will also give you the opportunity to plug in and record your guitar or another microphone at the same time which will probably be way more useful than a single XLR to USB adapter.

That was my main draw toward the 2i2. I wanna dual mic my cab in the future or when I get a cab with 2 different kind of speakers be able to blend.
^ all of the interfaces in that price range allow you to do that.

Read the introduction to recording sticky in the recording section.

I recommend a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture ex.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.