Hey guys!

So recently I've decided to invest in a guitar $900-$1000. I'm looking at both the Gibson SG Special in Heritage Cherry and The Ibanez RG652FX in Galaxy Black. I'm really into The Fall of Troy, which has inspired me to look at an SG (Thomas Erak's axe of choice). I'm also inspired by CHON, a math/progressive rock band from San Diego. Up till about 9 months ago, both of the guitarists for CHON used Ibanez RG652FXs and I really liked the sound they got on the DiMarzio pickups. Now, which one of these two guitars would really be worthwhile? I've heard of people having a lot of trouble with the RG652, like fret buzzing and a thin nut width. However, people also say that the SG Special isn't worth it and that if I'm gonna get a Gibson, I should get an SG Standard. I like playing a lot of progressive metal as well, would the SG be a good fit for my music taste?
i haven't tried the 652 but the MIJ ibanezes are normally pretty good (though admittedly I haven't tried any new ones for a good while). I haven't heard of the problems with the 652, but then again I haven't been looking and haven't heard anything about the 652

i'd find an ibanez more useful than a stock SG for heavier/more technical metal, but that's just me. personal preference comes into it a lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the 652 but the MIJ ibanezes are normally pretty good (though admittedly I haven't tried any new ones for a good while). I haven't heard of the problems with the 652, but then again I haven't been looking and haven't heard anything about the 652

i'd find an ibanez more useful than a stock SG for heavier/more technical metal, but that's just me. personal preference comes into it a lot.

Hey man thanks for your time and the reply, I had a chance to get hands-on opinions of both of the guitars, and I have to say, I fell in love with the feel of the 2015 SG (not so much the pickups though). I think later down the road I'll switch the stock SG '61 pups with some DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans. However, your post really compelled me to go out and try them myself, so kudos to you!
My 652 couldn't be any more perfect. For a guitar I bought blindly, it really nailed what I wanted out of a six string. Perfect action and relief straight out of the case, too. I'm afraid to change the strings.

http://imgur.com/32ontsh,PHtmbBu,0DC8OcD,HOkRPcW,EIO3x4J,QJ6iJGO,vvYneUP#0

The "Koa Brown" version. Has the same exact hardware as the Galaxy Black and Cobalt Blue. I might want all three...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
i have two Gibson SG's and three ibanez prestige models. they are so different i can't even give you a comparison. you really have to see what matters to you more. if you are looking into progressive metal, i would say for utility that the ibanez would be better, but for some of the brootz, its hard to beat an SG.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by epicowl
Hey man thanks for your time and the reply, I had a chance to get hands-on opinions of both of the guitars, and I have to say, I fell in love with the feel of the 2015 SG (not so much the pickups though). I think later down the road I'll switch the stock SG '61 pups with some DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans. However, your post really compelled me to go out and try them myself, so kudos to you!

Yeah the pickups in the SG might not be so good- I have an older (2012 I think) SG and the pickups (or maybe the 300k pots) are the weak link I think, it's a bit muffled-sounding (though the 2015 has different pickups I think, and maybe 500k pots). It still probably feels more of a classic rock-style guitar than a shred guitar like the ibanez, but pickups would help.

As always, personal preference will probably trump anything objective, so if you prefer the SG, get the SG. It's no help to you if I prefer the Ibanez for those type of tones if you don't!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
As always, personal preference will probably trump anything objective, so if you prefer the SG, get the SG. It's no help to you if I prefer the Ibanez for those type of tones if you don't!

+1
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Don't like the shape of the SG and not a fan of the Gibson pickups. Ibanez and Dimarzio pickups would be my choice over an SG all day.
I have an SG Special(2011/12 IIRC). The neck on it is pretty hefty, which is, I admit, a YMMV point. The 2015 may be different, so...
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Thwy would both work perfectly orr tghe genre, it's just up to your preference. they are very diferent guitars
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X