Hello fellow vocalists!
As part of practice I sometimes decide to do full covers. More often than not I just practice certain sections, and never finish anything, but this time I did.
It's a cover of Insomnia from Kamelots newest release.
There are definitely places that I could improve, but sometimes I focus more on my expression than the pitch. After all you can get help with pitching in the studio, conveying a message is tad more problematic. (No, I am not trying to justify not singing on pitch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFNg7Hzg8A

Let me know what you think
Last edited by KrisHQ at Jul 20, 2015,
People can't listen if you don't post a link? But from what I've heard of your singing in the past, it's pretty damn good.
Hahaha! Oh god. How embarrassing, I had no idea I didn't leave a link!
I'll edit the OP with a link ^^
Well firstly, it sounds pretty damn good! You obviously have a good grasp of vocal technique, I can hear the use of pharyngeal giving you that great tone, and the parts that you say weren't quite in tune weren't really that bad.
Now for some criticism, I personally felt that you pushed your larynx down (and narrowed your vowels) a little to much. I'm a native English speaker and I had some trouble understanding some of the words, for example when you say "night" I would hear "knot". So it may indicate a slight diction problem, I think it's mainly just because of the amount of weight you put on to those words.
But overall it's a great cover, nice work!
Thank you!
And thank you for the constructive criticism
Some have said before the exact same, so it's a problem I'm really willing to fix.
I am not a native english speaker, I am from Scandinavia (Denmark).
Naturally, wehave a slight accent in the way we say words. And some of that may never go away.
I have trouble hearing it myself, though! If you would, you could PM me some examples from the song. That would make it easier for me to grasp what I need to correct, and where my problem lies. (Like you kinda did with "night", but maybe more in-depth)
"soul" in "...the purpose of my soul" - the "l" sounds kind of strange, in English it's often a "dark L" (Google it). There a few vowels I'd pronounce differently, but that's more the difference between RP and American English (in AmE, "tall", "wall", and "fall" rhyme ). Otherwise, you're fine! Jag pratar ofta med mina svenska vänner så vet jag hur skandinaver uttalar engelska ord...

Other things: I like your tone and you have a pretty nice range, but it would help to know what notes to sing. "A bright white prophecy" - TK sings C# c# B F# E C#; you sang a G# instead. Something like that.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Other things: I like your tone and you have a pretty nice range, but it would help to know what notes to sing. "A bright white prophecy" - TK sings C# c# B F# E C#; you sang a G# instead. Something like that.

Yeah. That's obviously a huge help, but even though "tabbing" out all the notes are easy enough, it takes a lot of time! ^^
Last edited by KrisHQ at Jul 23, 2015,
Haha, that album was on repeat in my car for a month or two, but I get what you're saying ^^
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something