Page 1 of 8
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/the-media-mens-emotions/

What do you guys think about this? I have always had an interest in masculinity and masculinity studies and I thought some of you might like this.

Post situations in which you feel more or less pressured to express your emotions in a certain way because of your gender.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I allow different emotions to be seen at different times, depending on the audience. There is a certain presence that I have to exude to different groups of people, so my emotional bandwidth adjusts accordingly.

addendum: The best men I know are comfortable with their emotions in the right environment. Most of them understand "there's a time and a place." I tend to hold women to the same emotional standard that I hold men too. The biggest difference I seen, and perhaps is my bias, is that women generally have significantly less self-control, and the audience to which they display emotions is often immaterial to them.
My God, it's full of stars!
Didn't read comic cos was patronising and annoying

I act according to what mood I am in, not based on my gender or masculinity. If I'm sad I'll act sad, if I'm in a good mood I'll be outgoing and chatty.

I don't show vulnerability to people I don't know but that's got nothing to do with gender for me.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jul 18, 2015,
Real men don't cry.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
oh if you also mean like for the good of society, yeah it's pretty fukked up but honestly hollywood is more or less bleach for your brain, its portrayal of masculinity is only one broken bolt in a giant mess of mistakes
What's the point of this thread? We're all supposed to be some sort of victim these days huh? :vomit:
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
idk how to feel about this

i was raised to not cry and be the strong one. i hate crying and showing weakness so whenever im upset about something i either show nothing or i just get angry. at this point i dont even think it has anything to do with my gender its just the way i deal with things. i understand its bad to enforce these roles onto people but for some of us its too little too late. im not just suddenly going to wake up one day and say "hey i think im going to cry about shit and be all flimsy cause feminists say its ok now"
pinga
That website's articles

"These 7 Assumptions About Non-Binary Folks May Be Hindering Your Trans Allyship"
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by vintage x metal
I have always had an interest in masculinity

You've come to the right place then. I don't mean to brag, but I do have the penis and everything

Serious section of this post:
Yes, during high school I noticed myself doing this to fit in with the other guys/kids and whatnot. All the guys were supposed to like action movies and all the movies that had crying in them were for girls. And god forbid if you liked a sad song or something that showed you had any emotion other than >

So happy that I grew out of that though.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Jul 18, 2015,
Frankly, I'm quite insulted that the article in the OP is insinuating I have feelings to begin with
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Is there a discrepancy between how a man reacts emotionally vs a woman? Sure. But I'd rather not see myself as a helpless victim. I feel as though I have a sufficient outlet for my emotions through my friends (who happen to be men) so I've never felt 'oppressed' regarding this issue. I've had to withhold emotions, in fact I do it all the time. But for reasons that have nothing to do with my gender.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 18, 2015,
Men and Women are different. Period. It's the goal of feminism to blur those lines and make men into women and vice versa.

Men should be able to control their emotions, but nowdays we are told to let 'em out...cry...express...baloney. Suck it up. In this day of feminized men, you can see why women are so miserable, even though they don't realize it.

When men aren't men, the women have to attempt to fill that role...with devastating effects.

Women are beautiful and amazing beings in their own right. They have their own strengths. While men have theirs.
why is it always on the men to convert to the female way of doing things, why can't women just bottle up their emotions as well?
I hit the part where it was all "Men in film resolve conflict through physical means". I don't think the implication that action is a masculine kind of conflict is true. It just has to do with a) the medium, which works best through action and b) the industry's (waning) reluctance and ambivalence about good female leads. Other than that, not bad for a comic.

As for situations where I feel uncomfortable expressing emotions, probably most of them. That has very little to do with the gender binary and has a lot more to do with my parents.
Quote by So-Cal
why is it always on the men to convert to the female way of doing things, why can't women just bottle up their emotions as well?

I find myself having to bottle emotions often
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Eastwinn
lost cause

you don't find the people who are offended by this pretty amusing? it is self-fulfilling given the subject matter
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I find myself having to bottle emotions often

i was just kidding
Quote by So-Cal
i was just kidding

I knew you were but only because I know you but I feel the urge more and more to help the high schoolers and those comparable
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I've seen plenty of men cry and express their emotions over loss, it's pretty much expected, and hasn't diminished my opinion of their 'manliness' at all. I've also seen plenty of women taking leadership before men.

The article is more about discussing how genders are portrayed in media, which I guess is kind of a problem currently

Just a little rambling about leadership:
As a man I can say that I feel positively when I am in a position of leadership.

Prolly a really silly example is driving. If I'm giving my friend a lift, I'm leading, responsible, and the feeling of responsibility makes me feel positive, in power, superior, whatever. similarly if i was getting a lift, I'd feel dependent on my friend, and then I am a follower.

I guess that'd also extend to competency, if my friend was a shitty driver, getting lost etc. and I had to give him directions, I would feel more in control. and the same would be true, if I was driving, but had to get directions, I might feel shitty about myself.

don't know if this is what u were talking about but
Quote by korinaflyingv at #33507440
I basically agree but the comic's wrong. Women are allowed way more to express their anger than men. In my experience men are only allowed to be happy, neutral or silent.

Please explain to me why you think this is the case.

Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Men's anger is perceived as more threatening. Which it usually is tbf. It's like that Donald Glover joke, every guy's got a crazy ex-girlfriend story but a lot fewer girls have a crazy ex-boyfriend story. Because if you've got a crazy ex-boyfriend you're gonna die.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Didn't read comic cos was patronising and annoying

if you never read the comic, how do you know it's patronising and annoying?

Quote by Carnivean
What's the point of this thread? We're all supposed to be some sort of victim these days huh? :vomit:

Quote by The purpose of this thread, as written by TS

Post situations in which you feel more or less pressured to express your emotions in a certain way because of your gender.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by ErikLensherr at #33507451
Men's anger is perceived as more threatening. Which it usually is tbf. It's like that Donald Glover joke, every guy's got a crazy ex-girlfriend story but a lot fewer girls have a crazy ex-boyfriend story. Because if you've got a crazy ex-boyfriend you're gonna die.

Or they never left the boyfriend.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Makes a solid point, but I'm disturbed that there's only 1 disabled transgender person in it.
Check out my band Disturbed
Some people are uncomfortable with their emotions and resort to name calling to justify it. This is normal human behavior.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Please explain to me why you think this is the case.

Men are expected to control their emotions, women not so much, so they don't learn and/or are taught it's more acceptable. I am from a particularly civilised part of the world though where anger is considered rather uncouth. So my experience may not be universal. Maybe you classless swines have a dif way of doing things. If a woman expresses anger they do still get the 'crazy' label but if a man does they get it even more.
Also girls straight up cry to get attention/get what they want.

If a guy tried this it'd be weird.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by ErikLensherr
Also girls straight up cry to get attention/get what they want.

If a guy tried this it'd be weird.

This is the Pit
My God, it's full of stars!
😭

See, weird.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
tbh I think a lot of it is due to the American style. Obviously could resemble other parts of the world, but I'm just thinking in my family. I never saw my dad cry, or yell, or anything really. So I kind of grew up with the idea that men don't have emotions (or at least don't express them, ever). I've seen parents of other families where the parents express emotion, and the children learn from that and see it's ok.

was gonna say stuff about culture and stuff but yeah.

Also, basically every single male has a harder time than virtually every female. Although I would like everyone to be able to express their emotions in a proper way, but there is a biological difference. Gotta work to get over that.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me