Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. So my life has gotten pretty crazy these last few weeks with all sorts of ups and downs. I very quickly learned the shape our job market here in northeast PA is for young adults with no college education like me can be.

About 3 days ago I found out I have an opportunity to move with some family to Covington Georgia (about a half our outside of Atlanta). I have a job lined up for me if I move there and everything. This would mean leaving all of my friends and most of my family behind here in Pennsylvania to move to a town where I'll know no one. It also means however I will continue to be able to leave relatively inexpensively and can get out of a town where I'm enemies with a lot of people due to recent events.

I was hoping to find another positive in moving down there in hoping to find people to finally play music with. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE in my area plays any sort of music other then Pop Punk (which I hate playing) I was hoping maybe some UG users living in that area might be willing to introduce themselves to me and maybe I can start finding people to jam with or maybe even play in a band with. The music scene here in Henryville is dead and I'm hoping Atlanta's will be much more lively.

Anyone ever have a similar experience? Thoughts?
Last edited by cheosamad at Jul 18, 2015,
Go to college.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Moving to Georgia..... Thoughts?

Dont.

EDIT: Oh. You don't mean the country Well that's no fun
Atlanta has a pretty large and diverse music scene. There are big festivals and smaller (yet still popular) venues such as Masquerade.

FYI, living outside of Atlanta is a lot different than being *in* Atlanta. The locals usually distinguish themselves as ITP or OTP-- inside the perimeter or outside the perimeter. Perimeter is in reference to interstate 285 which is a circle around the city. The majority of the people inside the city are generally more progressive/liberal. Outside of the city, the majority is very conservative/Bible-belt-christian.

Having said all of that, your experience is going to depend mostly on you. How you socialize, where you choose to go, etc. etc.. I don't know about your situation and said 'enemies', but Atlanta is a good place to have a clean slate. The majority of people are young professional who have moved here for their career, so they are in the same boat as you. If you start making enemies here too... you may want to start examining yourself for the problem.
Last edited by perfec_circl at Jul 18, 2015,
Quote by ErikLensherr
Go to college.

I have nothing I'm interested in going for and no way to realistically fund it if I did so it would just create useless debt. College has never been my families route anyway. No point in spending thousands of dollars to become an employee when you can spend none to become an employer with proper patience and tenacity.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
If a few months or weeks down the line you end up hating the experience, will you be unable to move back?

I will be able to move back but I will be living in a much less comfortable situation. I'll also probably have to get rid of most of my stuff/guitar gear if I move back.

Quote by sam b
Dont.

EDIT: Oh. You don't mean the country Well that's no fun

I'd rather not die lol.
Quote by perfec_circl
Atlanta has a pretty large and diverse music scene. There are big festivals and smaller (yet still popular) venues such as Masquerade.

FYI, living outside of Atlanta is a lot different than being *in* Atlanta. The locals usually distinguish themselves as ITP or OTP-- inside the perimeter or outside the perimeter. Perimeter is in reference to interstate 285 which is a circle around the city. The majority of the people inside the city are generally more progressive/liberal. Outside of the city, the majority is very conservative/Bible-belt-christian.

Having said all of that, your experience is going to depend mostly on you. How you socialize, where you choose to go, etc. etc.. I don't know about your situation and said 'enemies', but Atlanta is a good place to have a clean slate. The majority of people are young professional who have moved here for their career, so they are in the same boat as you. If you start making enemies here too... you may want to start examining yourself for the problem.

The 'enemies' I've formed here are basically just 3 people but they've made life here sort of hell. My ex girlfriend left me to f*ck my best friend and he totally blindsided me as well as his roomate who I was also friends with at the time. Now they harass me whenever I see them in public. Not a circumstance of forming enemies I plan to continue lol.

Edit-Sorry for double post.
Quote by cheosamad at #33507608
I have nothing I'm interested in going for and no way to realistically fund it if I did so it would just create useless debt. College has never been my families route anyway. No point in spending thousands of dollars to become an employee when you can spend none to become an employer with proper patience and tenacity.

I'm just tryna offer you ways to avoid living in the hellholes of either Pennsylvania or Georgia.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by cheosamad
The 'enemies' I've formed here are basically just 3 people but they've made life here sort of hell. My ex girlfriend left me to f*ck my best friend and he totally blindsided me as well as his roomate who I was also friends with at the time. Now they harass me whenever I see them in public. Not a circumstance of forming enemies I plan to continue lol.

Edit-Sorry for double post.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? How old is she?

Guessing you're both younger than 25 which makes that a normal part of life. People are w-hore-s and assholes. They sleep around. They talk shit. Such is the human condition.
Quote by perfec_circl
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? How old is she?

Guessing you're both younger than 25 which makes that a normal part of life. People are *****s and assholes. They sleep around. They talk shit. Such is the human condition.

Me and her are both 19. The other people are 22 and 23. But yeah, people I now knowthat people have the potential to be garbage no matter how many years you know them. The more distance between me and their toxic existence the better for my personal well being I say.
Last edited by cheosamad at Jul 18, 2015,
Quote by cheosamad

Community college + work, Associate's degree + savings, then explore your options. Take it from a dropout who's never been to college.

I will be able to move back but I will be living in a much less comfortable situation. I'll also probably have to get rid of most of my stuff/guitar gear if I move back.

Alright. Well, if you think the status quo will eventually leave you more fulfilled, don't go for it.

EDIT: Wait, you're 19? Go to f*cking Georgia dude.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 18, 2015,
My folks in Covington, it's an alright town, and close enough to Atlanta to commute for work and stuff, but far enough away for daily things and not dealing with Atlanta traffic.

Though which part of Atlanta are you planning on working in is the real question?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Community college + work, Associate's degree + savings, then explore your options. Take it from a dropout who's never been to college.

Alright. Well, if you think the status quo will eventually leave you more fulfilled, don't go for it.

Hahahah I should clarify that if I don't go I'll have to deal with that living situation most likely anyway so I'm leaning toward going.

As for where I'll be working I'm fairly sure my job is in the city. It's a repo sort of gig.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

ding ding ding.... we have a winner..

Get out of your hometown. See somewhere bigger and more diverse. Atlanta is a good place for that.
If I were in your shoes and liked the relatives I'd be moving in with, I'd go to Georgia. Being close to Atlanta would be pretty sweet, the music scene is great according to everything I've heard about it. Even if it doesn't work out long term that'd be a great experience to have. Also your ex best friend and ex girlfriend are complete twats, seems you're much better off without them.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
If I were in your shoes and liked the relatives I'd be moving in with, I'd go to Georgia. Being close to Atlanta would be pretty sweet, the music scene is great according to everything I've heard about it. Even if it doesn't work out long term that'd be a great experience to have. Also your ex best friend and ex girlfriend are complete twats, seems you're much better off without them.

I'd like to imagine I have a very good relationship with my family so I'm happy to live around the family that I hardly every get to see anymore. As for the music scene I'm really hoping I manage to meet the right people and finally not always have to play music by myself. Bedroom jamming is only but so fulfilling.

If after a few years it's not working out I'm already aware of the sort of situation I'll be in monetarily so my options should be pretty open at that point. And yeah they weren't the people I thought they were lol.
Quote by perfec_circl
It is decided!

Oh man that traffic looks beautiful hahaha.
If you do decide to go through with the move, take advantage of that initial momentum after you've moved to put yourself out there and meet as many people as you can. The more connections you make the more likely you'll be to find some very like minded musicians you really enjoy spending time jamming with/hanging out with. Waiting too long to do so can make it that much harder to settle in to a new environment so that it really feels like your new home.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jul 18, 2015,
Not gonna read this thread but Georgia is literally the worst state and should be erased from history.
ayy lmao
Quote by cheosamad
I'd rather not die lol.

The actual Georgia is probably better than the USA to be fair.
Quote by chookiecookie at #33507717
Not gonna read this thread but Georgia is literally the worst state and should be erased from history.

How many states have you been to lol
Quote by chookiecookie

Someone hasn't been to South Dakota
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by CL/\SH

Enough to know Georgia does not deserve to be one
ayy lmao
Quote by CL/\SH

Oh, I'm sure that would be an interesting list. Based on his statement, the following won't be on it:

• Idaho
  • Utah
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Iowa
  • West Virginia
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama
  • anything-north-of-Orlando-Florida

These are referred to as 'fly-over regions'.

A more accurate assessment would be based on city as opposed to region, so in terms of southeastern states, Atlanta is a decent city. It's a good place to be right now if your career is related to technology or engineering.
Quote by perfec_circl
Oh, I'm sure that would be an interesting list. Based on his statement, the following won't be on it:

• Idaho
  • Utah
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Iowa
  • West Virginia
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama

A more accurate assessment would be based on city as opposed to region, so in terms of southeastern states, Atlanta is a decent city. It's a good place to be right now if your career is related to technology or engineering.

m8 there is literally nothing to do in georgia besides drive through it to get to somewhere else

also, i live in ky, lol.

Still better than georgia.
ayy lmao
Quote by perfec_circl at #33507793

• Idaho
  • Utah
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Iowa
  • West Virginia
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama

did you forget to include georgia? #banterfromtoronto #worldclass
Quote by chookiecookie

You've never been to texas lol.

Or New Jersey....
Quote by Thrashtastic15
did you forget to include georgia? #banterfromtoronto #worldclass

My list was an addendum to the original entry of Georgia.

terrible_states=["Georgia","Idaho","Utah","Nebraska","Kansas","Iowa","West Virginia","Tennessee","Kentucky","Mississippi","Alabama","anything-north-of-Orlando-Florida"]

terrible_states[0] already exists, so there was no sense in repeating it.
Atlanta's beautiful and traffic is shit. but that's your best bet for having fun near covington, atlanta is a wonderful place to party. Athens can be hard to learn but it's ok, better place to be in the daytime than atlanta imo but atl's twice as fun as athens at night. mcdonough's not that bad either but there's not all that much to do.

other than that, covington itself sucks. sorry

EDIT: btw the music scene in athens is big. atlanta too, I'm sure you can find someone to jam with
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Jul 18, 2015,
Just found out my house will be 45 minutes from Six Flags Over Georgia. That's all I need haha.
Quote by perfec_circl at #33507793

• Idaho
  • Utah
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Iowa
  • West Virginia
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama

Yeah Nebraska was the one I was thinking of specifically here. And I agree, you could do much worse than Atlanta if you're looking for a good metro area to start fresh in.
Quote by cheosamad
Just found out my house will be 45 minutes from Six Flags Over Georgia. That's all I need haha.

Well, you say that, but it's hot as ****, and the lines are long. I never go there now.
Quote by CL/\SH
Yeah Nebraska was the one I was thinking of specifically here. And I agree, you could do much worse than Atlanta if you're looking for a good metro area to start fresh in.

I couldn't imagine living in Nebraska. Or any Midwest state for that matter. :|
Most big metros are crowded and hot as fuck though

That being said I'm glad I'm nowhere near one lol
Page 1 of 2