First off hello, i am new here. I got a very nice GIBSON SG SPECIAL, which plays great, looks great etc, but i want a trem system on it. I thought about Floyd FRX or Stetsbar.
Stetsbar is half the price here, but does it have the same range and stability? it looks kind of ugly too.
The problem with FRX is its availability. They aren`t available in thomann.de, should i just order it directly from floyd rose?

thanks for help.
I haven't played the FRX yet but the Stetsbar to me is, in a word, garbage. I've played quite a few of the drop-in trem replacements for TOM bridge/tailpiece sets, and I can't say any of them were good.

If you're ok with a Bigsby type unit, with a smaller range and some extra hardware, that's an option. But a competent full-range trem just doesn't exist as a drop-in mod for TOM guitars as far as I know. Maybe the FRX is the solution, but I haven't seen one in the wild yet.
Neither is worthwhile, IMHO.

I've watched and tried the FRX at NAMMs for four or five years now (always going to be available "later this year", I believe they're finally a production item and available).

There's one guy on MyLesPaul who actually bought one and bolted it onto his LP. He thought it was the cat's meow for about six months, but I'm not at all sure he still feels that way. It's not at all like having a real Floyd Rose on your guitar.

I'd honestly suggest a different guitar with a standard Floyd Rose already installed. I think you'd be wasting your money with the FRX. IMHO, YMMV, all that.
I remember on facebook the unofficial floyd rose page showed off the floyd rose FRX and I pointed out in many ways it's a rip off of a kahler and the moderator banned me from commenting.

perhaps a kahler hybrid if you really really ....really ... need a tremolo. If not try a whammy pedal.
I do need a whammy bar, i am not gonna abuse it, but i need it to add some dives to my solos. I play music like Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, so i don`t think it will be too much for the frx. Kahler hybrid will need some routing and tuning goes off when bending, so kahler is not an option.
If you're not willing to route, you're not going to get what you want. There's a reason every decent wide range trem requires some routing. You need a different guitar or a new plan.
I don`t say that i absolutely can`t route. I can route it, but kahler is detuning with bends, and a floyd isn`t gonna fit in sg, but even if it did, there would be no sustain as sg doesn`t have alot of wood. As i mentioned before, i am not going to totally abuse the bar like some "metal" guys do, just some evh stuff, adding flavour to tapping and maybe some little dive bombs
Quote by ArturPr
I do need a whammy bar, i am not gonna abuse it, but i need it to add some dives to my solos. I play music like Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, so i don`t think it will be too much for the frx. Kahler hybrid will need some routing and tuning goes off when bending, so kahler is not an option.

Which Kahler are you seeing this happen on?

I really don't have that issue with my Kahlers remotely as much as I do with my Floyds. Folks who have issues with Floyds usually install more/stronger springs, but I don't understand why you'd reject a Kahler when an FRX or a Stetsbar would be FAR more likely to change the tuning when you bend.

Have you actually USED any of these trems?

Worth noting that the new Kahlers can be locked down like a hard tail until/unless you want to use them in whammy mode. Also worth noting is that there are a number of different saddle materials available for the Kahlers, and that will change tonal characteristics. Also worth noting is that you CAN change the cam springing to adjust how the trem responds.

A standard Floyd won't install on most SGs. A Kahler *has* been known to install on the occasional SG, but you're going to want to be careful with the rout, depending on how thick your SG is.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 20, 2015,
I played 2 guitars with kahler, and both go out of tune after bending. I need to do a dive to get them back in tune. My sg is 34mm thick. FRX has a spring that help stabilize te bridge, so you can do double stops in tune.
Quote by ArturPr
I played 2 guitars with kahler, and both go out of tune after bending. I need to do a dive to get them back in tune. My sg is 34mm thick. FRX has a spring that help stabilize te bridge, so you can do double stops in tune.

I misunderstood -- you're talking about the entire guitar going out of tune, not the string next to your bending string going flat during the bend.

Nonetheless, I don't have this issue with my Kahlers at all. Or, for that matter, my Floyds. Everything comes back in tune. Simply bending (or diving) doesn't toss the whole guitar out of tune.

While bending, the Floyds drop the strings next to them flat, but adding a spring or two (or doing some adjusting with the existing ones, on occasion) will reduce that a LOT.

I'm guessing you've never used the FRX.
i never used the frx. But i decided to buy a floyd rose equiped guitar, most likely a more crazy one, like jackson RRXMG or kramer baretta with white bullseye
Ok, well, i don`t have enough money for a new guitar, so is there anyone who actually played frx and knows if it stays in tune and is worth all the money?
Quote by ArturPr
Ok, well, i don`t have enough money for a new guitar, so is there anyone who actually played frx and knows if it stays in tune and is worth all the money?

Probably not. It's been released fairly recently and I imagine most people with the cash and wish to buy it are being cautious like you are because it's new and the reviews and testimonials just aren't really about yet. I imagine it stays in tune about as well as a real Floyd, because I don't think it'd be on the market if it didn't, but does it sound, feel or function like a real Floyd? Anybody's guess, really. All I can say is that if a top-mounting Floyd for SGs and Les Pauls was an easy thing to make work, it would've been on the market at least a decade ago - the demand's always been there. I'd guess the functionality is there at the expense of either sound or reliability or both. Only way to find out is to drop the money on it, which is probably why hardly anyone has so far.

For what it's worth, both the people I know IRL who've owned Kahlers have made that same complaint of tuning stability during bends, and both were professionals to the extent one can be a professional without hitting the "big time", but as with all such complaints it's a given that there's a way around any such problems simply because there are people who swear by Kahler trems and use them all the time - Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest and the Slayer guys are the ones I can think of. It's a fact that they wouldn't be using these things if they didn't stay in tune, and I know nothing about Slayer, but Glenn Tipton likes his string bends as much as the next guy.

Are you on an income that makes saving for a new guitar an option? If so, I say save. If not, I say forget about it. If the trem is vital to you, sell the Gibby, find something with a trem
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Selling my Gibby is not an option cause i love it. I played a fender Malmsteen strat, and my Sg special was way better than it. If i get some money i will get the jackson rrxmg, if not, i will buy a better amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
All I can say is that if a top-mounting Floyd for SGs and Les Pauls was an easy thing to make work, it would've been on the market at least a decade ago - the demand's always been there.

It WAS on the market more than a decade ago. This is the second go for this kind of trem FROM FLOYD!

Not only did the base unit not work very well, but the literature didn't explain that modification to the LP was required to put the locking nut on. And in fact, the FRX was delayed at least three years while they tried to figure out a decent locking nut setup that didn't require obvious modification of the LP. And honestly, for all of that, they still don't have it right. Give it another decade.