I just got my first electric guitar(it's a Fender Squier Stratocaster) and I'm looking for an amp. I can't spend more an $150.
Any suggestions?
What do you want to sound like?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
A modeling amp, they have a ton of different sounds
peavey vypyr may be the best as far as bells and whistles
If you lean on the clean, jazzy side, Fender Mustang. For rock&roll, Vox Valvetronix. For high gain, Peavey Vyper. Not to leave out the Roland Cube, they're all far better than my first amp back in the early '90s.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Fair warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I play a lot of pop punk and some early to mid 2000s stuff, if that helps. I've been looking at a used rolland cube 15 from a pawn shop or a new fender mustang from the local music store.
Last edited by ajane at Jul 19, 2015,
I would always recomment a modeller, such as the Vypyr, for a starter amp. They are going to be able to give you a lot of options regarding tone and effects, which for a beginner is going to allow you to try a bit of everything.

Comparatively if you get a non-modeller that can pull off a great distorted tone but has terrible cleans for example, as soon as you want to play something on the clean channel you will be wishing you had gone with the modeller.

Then if you come to upgrade you will have a better idea of what you actually want.