I mean literally mouth-watering. I heard there's a thing called kinesthesia where your senses are kinda cross-wired. Maybe that's what I'm getting at. It almost feels like a flavor for me when I hear certain notes. I definitely have a preference for G and F and D. G is like Umami to me -savory, and F is sweet like strawberry shortcake. I haven't placed D yet but I think maybe lemons have something to do with it.

I sound like an insane person don't I?

It's not like a clear "that sounds exactly the way this other thing tastes". Not like that at all. It's more like it just scratches some region in the brain that reminds me of something.

Has anyone had a similar experience or else heard of someone who described notes as flavors?
What you're talking about is called synesthesia. Kinesthesia is a sense that detects your body's position and movements. Synesthesia is actually a legitimate neurological condition.

In response to your question, I don't know anyone with that condition, nor do I know anyone who equates certain notes to other things. Although words like 'juicy' are used by many people to describe certain riffs and the like. And music can be a trigger to memories, so you may just have associated certain things with certain notes due to once forgotten memories.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Modes have flavors. When you are just playing major with no modes it is sweet. Mixolydian is salty or smoky. Lydian is overall sweet but with a hint of sour at the raised fourth.

Playing minor is kind of bitter. Dorian is a bit more bittersweet. Phrygian is a bit spicy.

Locrian doesn't taste good.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by paul.housley.7
I mean literally mouth-watering. I heard there's a thing called kinesthesia where your senses are kinda cross-wired. Maybe that's what I'm getting at. It almost feels like a flavor for me when I hear certain notes. I definitely have a preference for G and F and D. G is like Umami to me -savory, and F is sweet like strawberry shortcake. I haven't placed D yet but I think maybe lemons have something to do with it.

I sound like an insane person don't I?

It's not like a clear "that sounds exactly the way this other thing tastes". Not like that at all. It's more like it just scratches some region in the brain that reminds me of something.

Has anyone had a similar experience or else heard of someone who described notes as flavors?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia#Chromesthesia
I use the term "tasty" to describe some sounds I like.. I also use the term "flavor" to describe larger portions of a piece or an entire song/or CD..alot of musicians use descriptive terms to associate pieces of music..to convey in a direct way the abstract nature of music..

the way all the arts are interpreted becomes a very personal process..the reason someone likes something is often a mystery..."I think I like it.." and "I'm not sure I like it.." are terms heard often when asked of people about an art form...on the flip side are the definite reactioins..."wow..I love it..it talks to me.." "..I hate it.." "Its disturbing.." and all the other adjectives people say when reacting to a work of art/music/film etc..the cause of these reactions has been the study-part and parcel-of psychology/sociology and related studies exploring human nature

I find it true that certain notes/chords/keys have different affects on people..and why some love/hate a particular sound over others may be difficult to describe in concrete terms..

I once described jimi Hendrix and his music as "liquid" .. the reaction to that was.."yeah..I can see that.." the "why" of that would keep a psychology major up at night for weeks--
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Jul 19, 2015,