Hey UG!

First, a small introduction: I’m a rookie, picking up Electric Guitar. I’ve got lots of experience playing classical Piano and Violin, so a lot of my technical Guitar skill comes from a combination of these two – it’s the coordination that I picked up playing these instruments that made it a lot easier to pick up the Guitar. I love playing, but there’s an area that I’m lacking in (setting technical ability aside): producing different tones. Okay, so with a Piano or Violin, a lot of the ‘tone’ comes from the instrument itself. But with the Electric Guitar, you have the Guitar itself, Pickups, Amp Settings, Pedals… and I have no idea what combinations will give you which sound!

Okay, so I play a Les Paul style Guitar, the Vintage V100 with stock pick-ups, hooked up to a small Marshall amp. I’m really into the sound present in a lot of Japanese rock/metal – maybe the best way to describe it would be not as muddy or fuzzy as conventional rock/metal distorted sounds, but singing and clear. Here are a few samples so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about: Link 1, and Link 2. I love the tone produced in both links, with the second link being a more 'crunchy' and distorted sounding variant of the first link. I can’t achieve anything similar with my current set-up, it seems I can only produce more classic rock tones.

My question is, how can I go about altering my setup to make a similar tone? Could I get your own opinions, and some specific recommendations in pickups or pedals that might help me in making this sound?

Thanks everyone!
I'm not a tone chaser, but what a I heard sounded a lot like some of the shredders of the 1980s-1990s, like Steve Vai, Tony MacAlpine, Chris Impelliteri and Jennifer Batten.

And THOSE players will be more easily found on gear boards than those guys will.

Start here:
http://equipboard.com

I know Batten and Vai both favored Carvin amps & HB equipped guitars.

What kind of rig are you running right now? Your "small Marshal" may not be the right amp for the job, but which is it? You might need higher output HBs. What pedals?

Details!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 19, 2015,
Hey, thanks for your help!

I'll definately go check out the artists you pointed out.
I've actually listening to Vai in the past, but didn't make the connection with how similar the tones sounded.

As for specifics on my current gear, the amp I'm using really is a small amp: the Marshall MG15CFX. I know it probably isn't ideal for the sound I want, but right now it does the job. I play guitar for enjoyment, nothing more. The question was more for, in the future, if I wanted to upgrade my gear, how I would do so to get this sound I love. Do you think the key is the amp?
I'm not an amp guru, but...yeah, it probably is.

Your amp- and how you dial it in- is the single biggest defining factor in your sound, followed by your selection of effects. The guitar & its pickups are the final tweak.

As I said somewhere else, the amp is like the ice cream in your sundae, the pedals are your syrups & toppings, and the guitar is the cherry on top.

(Maybe the whipped cream.)

Perhaps the real experts will chime in later, but I get the feeling that you'd want an amp (probably tube, but not necessarily) that has a decent clean channel as well as a good drive channel- not too over-distorted. Partner that with a good overdrive and probably not much else for the main tone.

From there, you'd add a good distortion pedal- used judiciously, not full-on- to dirty things up a bit more. Maybe a reverb used with similar restraint for more texture.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by harpans

As for specifics on my current gear, the amp I'm using really is a small amp: the Marshall MG15CFX. I know it probably isn't ideal for the sound I want, but right now it does the job. I play guitar for enjoyment, nothing more. The question was more for, in the future, if I wanted to upgrade my gear, how I would do so to get this sound I love. Do you think the key is the amp?

I think perhaps the key to your success is NOT to buy a one-trick amp, but to buy one that's as versatile as possible. Japanese metal/rock is all over the map and, like most rock these days, heavily altered in post. It's like BandMaid -- all its members are over 40 (and one's a guy) but with lots of makeup, high heels and little girl dresses, the presentation is quite changed.
you pretty much want a highish gain tube amp (so something like a hot-rodded marshall-style amp or soldano style, not something crazy like a 6505, though that'll still do it pretty well), a solidbody guitar with a bridge humbucker, and maybe a boss sd1/tubescreamer od pedal used as a boost (helps with saturation and smooth sustain etc.). delay doesn't hurt either.

what kind of budget are you talking, and what country are you in? you can get that for not too much money, but it's going to be more than what your current gear cost (though your guitar should be just fine I would think).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I live in New Zealand! The question was more for future reference or whenever I decide to upgrade. As of right now, I don't have a definitive budget, but as I said: I play guitar for fun. I love it, but I don't see myself spending big cash on gear. What price ranges do these higher gain tube amps come under?
I dunno about in New Zealand, but in Europe you can get the jet city stuff for about £400 for the quarterstack, or (when they're in stock, which isn't often) more like £200-£250 for the combos on thomann.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you tried hanging a small teddy bear from your headstock? Couldn't hurt to try
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I'll second this. Equipboard's gear is all backed up by credible sources unlike UberproAudio.

Since you have a budget amp, you might have a low budget. Try this guitar:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JEMJRWH

Very good budget guitar. It's just a downgraded Jem, but I've tried it before, and I can confess that the tone on that beast is killer. It sing and cries. I had to return it because of the tremolo bar, that and the tone wasn't to my own taste, but It's something you might like.

I'll go look for amps as well.

EDIT: Tiny Terror, anybody? I'm not an expert on high gain amps, but I hear those amps have nice tone for the price.
Last edited by LtnVasquez at Jul 22, 2015,
three words: Ibanez

If you're looking a near-same tone and sound then probably invest in amp and pedal gear first, but the specifics for the sound can be somewhat managed with a guitar's specs.

Ibanez is I would say built for Japanese metal-esque genre judging from its signature shape and very technical construction which I consider a special Japanese trait, as opposed to American 'muscle'. If you've got the gear and the money find an Ibanez guitar to complete the sushi with some wasaaaaaaaabi.
how do you edit signature?
...sorta...

Syu plays a lot of ESP, and other Japanese companies like Fernandes and Killer are well represented in Japanese metal.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
...sorta...

Syu plays a lot of ESP, and other Japanese companies like Fernandes and Killer are well represented in Japanese metal.

Case in point, both of the guitarist's of Dir En Grey use SG's by ESP guitars. However, Arvarna is correct. But yes, amps are important. A good tube amp can make a tired old Squire sound pretty badass.
Anything marshally will get you there
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by LtnVasquez
Case in point, both of the guitarist's of Dir En Grey use SG's by ESP guitars. However, Arvarna is correct. But yes, amps are important. A good tube amp can make a tired old Squire sound pretty badass.

To be clear- I think the amp is the MOST important aspect of finding the proper tone, followed by pedals. And how you use them all together, of course.

The guitar? That's the final piece of the puzzle, and no brand has a given genre on total lockdown.

Quote by LtnVasquez

EDIT: Tiny Terror, anybody? I'm not an expert on high gain amps, but I hear those amps have nice tone for the price.

wouldn't be my first choice for those tones. especially when you can get jet cities (which are much more suitable) for less.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?