Hi there. I've been playing guitar for over 2 years now and have been songwriting for over a year too. I've now got enough material with covers to be able to gig. My question is, what gear do I need? I'm a solo performer, so it's literally just me and my guitar. I'd rather not shell out money on a PA system just yet. I just want something that will see me through till I'm in the position to get a PA system. I was thinking one of the acoustic and mic combo amps? Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.
A Solid State acoustic amp with multiple inputs would get you started. Then you will need a vocal microphone and an acoustic guitar with built in pickups. An acoustic guitar amp is not as good for an electric guitar though
Great. Yeah I've got a good electro acoustic and a fender mustang amp, so I need to get an acoustic combo amp plus the mic etc. Thanks for the reply.
the acoustic amp is a good idea. I had a marshall as100d and it worked great. One input for guitar, one for mic, another xlr I never used and a stereo in for an ipod or something.

Alternatively, you could look into one powered speaker and a small mixer. That way if you do decide to one day get a PA, you'll already be half the way there instead of having to start all over.
Check out the backside of a Carvin PM12A:

Specs include fairly light weight (30 lbs), 12" LF driver, titanium tweeter, 400W built-in amp.
While it shows using a guitar direct in, you might want to use a modeler of some kind with an electric. Electric Acoustic will sound great straight in.

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 19, 2015,
The Carvin is nice, also the EV ZLX-12p. Both offer quality sound in a lightweight affordable package. When you want to increase coverage, just add another speaker and off you go.

I own and use the EV and it serves a lot of different roles: Stand-alone sound for acoustic gigs, small club PA speaker, floor wedge monitor for larger shows, and as a powered speaker to run my Digital Multi Effects board. This goes out on every gig I play. $399

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2583
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY