I rip through picks like a madman and I was wondering if there was a sharp style pick out there that doesnt wear down quickly at all. Right now im using the Dunlop Ultex picks so those are out of the question.
The toughest picks I use are:

1) Carbon fiber (Ish)
2) Carbon nylon (Pickboy)
3) stone- agate or jade (many places on Internet)
4) metal- copper or steel (ditto)

They all wear extremely slowly. However, if you can find someone making them out of tungsten carbide- and I HAVE seen people making them- they should be virtually indestructible. Tungsten carbide is one of the toughest materials in the world.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The toughest picks I use are:

1) Carbon fiber (Ish)
2) Carbon nylon (Pickboy)
3) stone- agate or jade (many places on Internet)
4) metal- copper or steel (ditto)

They all wear extremely slowly. However, if you can find someone making them out of tungsten carbide- and I HAVE seen people making them- they should be virtually indestructible. Tungsten carbide is one of the toughest materials in the world.

I've worn carbon fiber picks pretty quick. Stainless steel will never wear but it will destroy strings. I've been using Winspear picks and they wear extremely slow, but they are by no means indestructible. Never tried stone though, I imagine you may have the same issue as metal.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Stone ones- at least agate & jade- wear very slowly, and have almost a glassy feel on the strings...and to the grip. If you try any, look for those patterned on Stubbys or that have some kind of textured surface so that don't slip.

Most do not tear up strings like steel picks because they tend to have more rounded & polished edges. Because of this, you can't do pick slides as easily with them...but if you rub them on the strings, you can get some unusual results.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 19, 2015,
I've been using Dunlop Gator Grip picks for years and they hold up quite well. My mom buys me a pack every year for my birthday (its become a tradition) and that gets me by for the year. They wear down very gradually, and I'm a pretty aggressive picker, but are still quite useable for a very long time after they start to wear. The perfect pick, imo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The Gators are tough, but TS wants a sharp. I think a good sharp steel pick would be about the toughest think I've tried. Hell on strings as has been mentioned, but just about impossible to swear them smooth with playing. Maybe get a beveled sharp to save your strings.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd say Dunlop Jazz III, especially the black ones. They do wear out, but really, really slowly.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Update:
Wolfram Slides' custom shop is apparently now making them- no word on price.
http://www.wolframslides.com/custom.php

At 1mm thick and weighing 8 grams it is completely rigid, with a luxurious playing feel coming from the precision hand-radiused and polished edges. This also gives it a rich tone with great definition, particularly suited to driven electric guitar. As well as sounding phenomenal, it will retain its profile and finish indefinitely, and will never wear out.

And they do mean "indefinitely"- it's roughly the same hardness as corundum (aka sapphire & ruby).

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 19, 2015,
Quote by AcousticMirror
v-picks wear down very very slowly.

I agree but at $5.00 a piece, they better wear slowly. The stiletto is a nice sharp pick.

Quote by TheLiberation
I'd say Dunlop Jazz III, especially the black ones. They do wear out, but really, really slowly.

I use a lot of these. They do wear slowly, but but they do lose the point after a while. I go through considerably more than Vpicks, but again, there is a price difference.
use thicker picks????
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I use titanium picks from Epic Grip. They aren’t cheap but the two I have now have lasted nearly two years and should last at least another two years. Just don’t use them with a bass—bass strings chew up metal picks faster than plastic.
I've been using the Clayton 1 mil or 1.25 mil picks for years. Never broken one.
i love the dunlop carbon fiber max grip jazz iii picks. they last stupid long for me, and they don't slip in your hand.

the larger pack is here:

TBH though i haven't verntured too far my journey in the lands of the plectrum, and haven't played anything exotic.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Does it really matter? Picks are as cheap as ****.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Good point
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.