Hey guys!

I want to know more funk-rock bands. As much as I know lots of bands in other genres/subgenres, when it comes to funk-rock, I feel like the only ones I really know are Red Hot Chili Peppers. I want to know what bands are a "must"; underground bands, super technical funk rock bands, keyboard oriented funk rock bands, I don't know, those considered the best/most interesting with lots of groove.

I usually listen to bands like Snarky Puppy and the likes, if that helps.

What would you recommend?
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
There's a really decent old band called 'Yes' that played a fast paced funky-progressive type of genre, different to chili peppers but worth checking out in terms of bass/keyboard technicality.

Check out Yes - Roundabout. The name of the band is 'Yes', Roundabout is the name of the album and the song I'm referring to.

The bassist produces some really fast funky technical licks while the guitar stays rhythmic in the back letting the bassist direct the flow. The dude on the keyboard plays along with the bass, leading at times coming in and out then fking nails the chorus riff with the guitar.

I think this genre is prog-funk or groove-funk. Probably a little too 'hippie' or weird for some since it's prog..but in my opinion they've produced a fundamental masterpiece for the funk genre, I'm a heavy metal fan but when I first heard that groovy bass and keys on Roundabout I started looking more into funk. Check them out man let me know what you think! Bass comes in after 0:40

Here's a link if you're lazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M
how do you edit signature?
Last edited by arvarna at Jul 22, 2015,
Quote by arvarna
There's a really decent old band called 'Yes' that played a fast paced funky-progressive type of genre, different to chili peppers but worth checking out in terms of bass/keyboard technicality.

Check out Yes - Roundabout. The name of the band is 'Yes', Roundabout is the name of the album and the song I'm referring to.

It's really amazing man. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for! Is the whole album Roundabout that good?
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Hey I'm glad you liked it.

It's been a while since I last listened to it so I don't quite remember, the album's name is 'Fragile' actually my bad. It's a concept album so some 'songs' are 30 seconds to 1 minute, it's meant to feel like the entire album is one song or 'trip'.

Roundabout is the fastest and most technical in terms of bass/keys groove/funk, the rest is sort of experimental I would say which sadly in my opinion doesn't hold up to Roundabout. I don't listen to much Yes apart from that piece since they're too prog rock for me. So check it out if you want to, they're a good band but I don't think it's your type of genre since it looses its funk and goes into triiiiiiiiippy sounds, the kind of album you'd listen to when you start smoking weed haha.
how do you edit signature?
Prince has cranked out loads of funk rock. Check out bootlegs of his live shows with 3rdEyeGirl—they’re incredible live.
Dennis Coffey
The Bar-Kays
Orgone
Funkadelic
Parliament
Sly & The Family Stone
Banda Black Rio
Shotgun
The Rance Allen Group
Earth, Wind & Fire
Tower Of Power
El Chicano