I've spied this on Gumtree today, when I was looking for MIM Telecasters, and this is what I'd call a good price for an MIM, but from what I've heard MIJ instruments are supposed to be generally a tad better than MIM, so I'm surprised to see this at this kind of price, even if the dude's obviously trying to rid himself of some junk equipment.

Especially given that it's been up about two weeks, I'm assuming either there's a catch or this simply isn't as good a deal as I'm imagining. Is this one of the dodgy export models (I guess this is the most probable reason, all things considered)?

Basically, given that there's MIMs at similar prices, should I bite?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 19, 2015,
Definitely worth having a look. The biting all depends on how it feels in your hands and sounds to your ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Ippon
I'd hit it. Offer 250 first, who knows.

BTW, what's with the username?

Would this be one of the models that's the "wrong" body wood, though? And if it is, does it matter?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Would this be one of the models that's the "wrong" body wood, though? And if it is, does it matter?

Unless you go over and play it you will never know.
Some of the JP Teles were better than USA Teles in the 80s and early 90s. So you have a choice, you can pontificate with all the internet wisdom on what it might play like or go and put your hands on it and judge for yourself. If it turns out you don't like it after all you should be able to resell it at this price pretty easily. What is the risk?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Well, I sent a message and I'll see what happens. The reason I don't entirely trust my judgement on whether it's worth going for (even if I do play it, which of course I will), is because my prior experience is almost entirely in guitars that go for less than £300 new, and frankly I wouldn't know what to look for
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Well, I sent a message and I'll see what happens. The reason I don't entirely trust my judgement on whether it's worth going for (even if I do play it, which of course I will), is because my prior experience is almost entirely in guitars that go for less than £300 new, and frankly I wouldn't know what to look for

Take a friend who does know or do a little homework on buying used guitars first. Plenty of info on what things to look for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmT2CDjV6o

Thanks for the link I'll look around and hopefully be a little more educated on the subject when the time comes.

While we're at it, there's no real chance of fakes or anything in this niche, is there?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Thanks for the link I'll look around and hopefully be a little more educated on the subject when the time comes.

While we're at it, there's no real chance of fakes or anything in this niche, is there?

Sure but not likely at this price. If you are going to counterfeit you want to sell the fake at $30k not $300. Check the serial # and see if it matches a JP built guitar.

well like any fender it's never just a tele or a strat. bunch of diffeent models with little to tell them apart. as a rule the japanese made guitars are pretty nice. the lower end ones do have suspect electronics and pups. there is a good chance that it is made of basswood instead of ash or alder. should have made in japan stamped on back of neck down by baseplate.
You guys are all missing one important thing, this is 300 POUNDS, not dollars. Converted to USD, that's about $475 plus shipping. I have a late 80s Fender Standard Strat MIJ that I got for $399. I like it better than any USA Fender I have ever tried with the exception of one custom shop Fender that was $2800. I don't think any of the MIJ Fenders have basswood bodies, mine is alder.

This is also a newer model (the listing says 4 years old). My experience is mostly with the vintage Japanese stuff (late 80s).
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Well for what it's worth, through my own stupidity, a chunk of my spare cash is now stuck as credit at a guitar shop, which means I've effectively lost this opp. Going to sell some stuff and get myself a new Baja Tele or a Classic Series '50s at said shop instead.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 20, 2015,
Assuming the credit doesn't expire, have you considered waiting around to get something used? You'll just get way more bang for your buck since you're forced to spend that money at that shop anyway.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by CustomAxe
Assuming the credit doesn't expire, have you considered waiting around to get something used? You'll just get way more bang for your buck since you're forced to spend that money at that shop anyway.

I'd consider it, but the shop only deals in used stuff in that kind of price range very minimally. Like most of the nice London guitar shops, the used stuff is either pre-1980, American-built, or both. I've seen a Standard Tele there, and that was it for used MIM Fenders.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 20, 2015,