so here's the deal. i'm a big radiohead/rhcp fan looking for a do it all guitar.

I know jonny plays a telecaster plus which would be great for both of these bands since it could cover all of the sounds.
It has single coil neck pickup for those nice warm frusciante/hendrix neck sounds. and has a humbucker at the bridge which can be split to a single coil, which would be good for more funky chili peppers and old radiohead while still having great humbucker sounds for texturing sounds used in radiohead.

Now a telecaster plus would be a dream guitar......the problem is a don't have £1000 to spend on a rare vintage guitar.

Any cheaper guitar suggestions which would cover the same range of sounds? (not a modern player tele plus)
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
G&L tribute fallout comes in around $600 p90 neck split able bridge humbucker. I don't have any experience with that specific guitar but the tributes I have played have all been very good guitars.
Fender Classic 72' Telecaster Deluxe would be kool. New $700+ Used $350+
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
some great suggestions so far, but i think i've got my heart set on a tele lol.

would an option be just to get a used tele (best bang for buck) ?

and then replace the bridge pickup with a splittable humbucker?
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Certainly!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Certainly!

i've got no experience of modding guitars, so i'd be hesitant to do all the wiring and drilling myself.
would that work be expensive to get it done by a pro?
I've no experience with anything more than a pickup swap, but I can't see it being TOO pricey.

how much you reckon i can get a GOOD used tele for?
On Reverb.com alone, I found several hundred Fender Teles and G&L Teleclones priced between $300-1100. Now, not all of them would ship to your location, but some will.

(Other good used Teleclones would be offered from companies like Carvin, Fret-King, and Godin.)

But I mainly provided those searches as info- you should be able to find something in that price range, no problem.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/solid-body?price_max=1100&price_min=300&query=fender+telecaster&sort=price%7Casc&product_type=electric-guitars&category=solid-body&make%5B%5D=fender&ships_to=

https://reverb.com/marketplace?ships_to=&query=G%26L+ASAT+max%3A1100+min%3A300+make%3Ag-and-l&sort=price%7Casc

https://reverb.com/marketplace?ships_to=&query=G%26L+Bluesboy+max%3A1100+min%3A300