Found one of these online for $199 new. Any of you guys have experience with this guitar? Good deal?
I would personally take a Recording King over an Epi, but that is mostly prejudice. RKs have resettable necks, which is a significant plus for me, because I don't like the idea of guitars that can't be easily repaired - even though the repair cost may be unrealistic.

IMO, Gibson style square-shoulder dreads work best for heavy-handed flatpicking. Is that what you want?
Quote by Tony Done
I would personally take a Recording King over an Epi, but that is mostly prejudice. RKs have resettable necks, which is a significant plus for me, because I don't like the idea of guitars that can't be easily repaired - even though the repair cost may be unrealistic.

IMO, Gibson style square-shoulder dreads work best for heavy-handed flatpicking. Is that what you want?

I'm mostly doing Travis picking lately. Would those bigger guitars be worse for fingerpicking? I was thinking I could maybe get some nice bass out of them.
I'm exclusively a fingerpicker, and while many fingerpickers prefer small bodies, I personally would rather have the stronger bass of a dread. FWIW, I've never played a Hummingbird style guitar I've liked, but there have been plenty of J-45/Southern Jumbo style guitars I could have been happy with. My favourite for fingerpicking (as opposed to slide) is an oldish Maton M300. It is an all-laminate dread, and it has a tight chimey sound I like very much.
Quote by Tony Done
I'm exclusively a fingerpicker, and while many fingerpickers prefer small bodies, I personally would rather have the stronger bass of a dread. FWIW, I've never played a Hummingbird style guitar I've liked, but there have been plenty of J-45/Southern Jumbo style guitars I could have been happy with. My favourite for fingerpicking (as opposed to slide) is an oldish Maton M300. It is an all-laminate dread, and it has a tight chimey sound I like very much.

That's what I'm kind of interested in getting Tony, a bigger guitar with good bass. I can't afford thousands of bucks for a Maton or a Gibson though. I was thinking an Epiphone would be a nice substitute for the Gibson though. Any ideas for $500 or less?
Quote by TobusRex
That's what I'm kind of interested in getting Tony, a bigger guitar with good bass. I can't afford thousands of bucks for a Maton or a Gibson though. I was thinking an Epiphone would be a nice substitute for the Gibson though. Any ideas for $500 or less?
You might have to spring for the "Hummingbird Pro". IDK for sure if the acoustic version is a solid top. There's also the "Dove Pro", (same dread body configuration), if you might like to sample a maple sounding guitar. Both of those are @ $300.00 US, daily selling price. (MAP).

The Epi EJ-200-SCE come in at $400.00, if you think you might like a jumbo body With that guitar, the A/E version is the only one with a solid top. The EJ-200 "Artist", (acoustic only), is all laminate.

There's always the Seagull "S-6 original", in your price range. And I think the Yamaha FG-320 (?) just clears a nickel also. That is rosewood, albeit laminate. Seagull also has a "Mini Jumbo" at near the same price.

If you bump the price range to $600.00, any of the Epiphone, "Masterbilt" series might fit your needs. Those are all solid wood guitars (A/E w/ "Shadow" electronics).
Quote by TobusRex

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines that a slope D/J45, rather than a Hummingbird style would be a better bet. I only mentioned the maton, because it is all-laminate, but still very good. There are a few makes that have a J-45 style guitar, and I don't doubt that Epi is one of them. I also tried a Tanglewood J45 style that I thought sounded like a Gibson.

Here's an example from RK, but I don't know how much it costs:

http://recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/guitars-raj-126-sn
Quote by Tony Done
....[ ]....There are a few makes that have a J-45 style guitar, and I don't doubt that Epi is one of them. I also tried a Tanglewood J45 style that I thought sounded like a Gibson.

Here's an example from RK, but I don't know how much it costs:

http://recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/guitars-raj-126-sn
Epiphone just released what I believe they're calling an "AJ-45" in the "Masterbilt" series. Reviews have been mixed on it though. Better to hold off on that until there's more feedback.
I've found a Taylor 110 E acoustic/electric with a nice case and a guitar stand for $400 total. Good deal?
All way too subjective for me.

I have five acoustics; an ancient Gretsch Synchromatic archtop that's a restoration project, a 1939 Epiphone Emperor that's near pristine (it was restored long ago and mostly lives in its case) and three flat tops. The Emperor is one of those huge old archtops (like a Super 400, pre-pickups) designed to be part of the rhythm section of a swing orchestra. It's a cannon.

Flat top #1 is a Yamaha FG-Something or other dread that cost me about $150 at McCabe's long ago and that's cheap enough to haul to the local beach for those Kumbaya Moments around the campfire. The other is a Taylor 814ce (around $3K) and then there's a '67 Martin D35 dread.

The FG is all laminated and compared to the other two has less volume, less treble punch, less bottom end, etc., but it's just fine for banging around on. The Martin dread is seasoned and aged and all the things that you buy a Martin for, and it's got big booming bottom end. Honestly, I thought it was god's gift to acoustic guitar until I got the Taylor. The Taylor has a Grand Symphony body style (a big round butt and a narrow waist) and that narrow waist makes it very easy to play compared to the dread, particularly for smaller players (I'm not a smaller player).

Quite honestly, while I love the D35 to death, the Taylor is a better sounding and better balanced guitar, both as a straight acoustic and run through a PA (you have to mike the D35, natch). The neck is a bolt neck, so it's MUCH easier and cheaper to reset the neck if required. And, too, Taylor is a couple of hours away and I can drop the guitar off and have them "service" it (they have maintenance packages for owners), whereas Martin requires a cross-country mailing (nail-biting) and an international-level negotiation and money to be placed into escrow (okay, I'm kidding, but it's MUCH more expensive) and a long wait.

If you're going to evaluate a cheap guitar based on sound, grab an expensive Taylor and your selection of cheap guitars and play them side-by-side. The closer the cheap ones come to the Taylor (IMHO, that is), the better you're going to like it long term.
Quote by Captaincranky
You might have to spring for the "Hummingbird Pro". IDK for sure if the acoustic version is a solid top. There's also the "Dove Pro", (same dread body configuration), if you might like to sample a maple sounding guitar. Both of those are @ $300.00 US, daily selling price. (MAP).

The Epi EJ-200-SCE come in at $400.00, if you think you might like a jumbo body With that guitar, the A/E version is the only one with a solid top. The EJ-200 "Artist", (acoustic only), is all laminate.

There's always the Seagull "S-6 original", in your price range. And I think the Yamaha FG-320 (?) just clears a nickel also. That is rosewood, albeit laminate. Seagull also has a "Mini Jumbo" at near the same price.

If you bump the price range to $600.00, any of the Epiphone, "Masterbilt" series might fit your needs. Those are all solid wood guitars (A/E w/ "Shadow" electronics).

I bought the Dove Pro a few weeks ago. I love the thing.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Quote by BottleOfSmoke
I bought the Dove Pro a few weeks ago. I love the thing.
Happy New Guitar Day! And thanks for taking the time to post about your new guitar. It's always reassuring when somebody has bought something I recommend from time to time, and is genuinely happy with it...

We're always Jonesing for new guitar threads with pictures, so feel free to put up your own thread, We'd all welcome it.

There's also a separate sticky thread for pictures. Heck, you can post in both of them!
Quote by Captaincranky
Happy New Guitar Day! And thanks for taking the time to post about your new guitar. It's always reassuring when somebody has bought something I recommend from time to time, and is genuinely happy with it...

We're always Jonesing for new guitar threads with pictures, so feel free to put up your own thread, We'd all welcome it.

There's also a separate sticky thread for pictures. Heck, you can post in both of them!

I'll do that. I haven't taken any decent pics yet, just some quick ones when I first got it. I'll try to remember to do that tonight.

And it's an amazing guitar. I was worried I wouldn't love the looks of it when I actually got it, but it's beautiful. Managed to snag one with a less saturated finish, so it's more orange/yellow than red/orange, which is perfect.

EDIT: I put a few up in the sticky thread

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Last edited by BottleOfSmoke at Jul 27, 2015,
Hey guys... I'm planning to buy a new guitar but I've seen so many guitars I can't make out my mind.

I live in Southamerica and I've been playing for some years with a classical guitar but I want to buy my own acoustic/acoustic-electric.

Any thoughts about these guitars?
-Fender CD60
-Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
-Epiphone Dove Pro
-Fender FA-300CE

If you have other recommendation I would appreciate Yamaha, Takamine ¿?
You'll see some feedback on the Epiphones earlier in this thread ismfiorella
Quote by iamfiorella
Hey guys... I'm planning to buy a new guitar but I've seen so many guitars I can't make out my mind.

I live in Southamerica and I've been playing for some years with a classical guitar but I want to buy my own acoustic/acoustic-electric.

-Fender CD60
-Epiphone Dove Pro
-Fender FA-300CE

My first recommendation is to lose, (sacar?) the Fender CD-60 from your list. It's all laminate and not in the same class as the 2 Epiphones.

The "Dave", and the "Hummingbird", are essentially the same guitar, with respect to size, scale length, neck width, and what have you.

The Dove is maple bodied, with a maple neck. The Hummingbird is mahogany, with a mahogany neck. Generally speaking maple is brighter and crisper than mahogany, while mahogany is touch warmer. You really should listen to these two guitars together. (and hope that the type, brand, and age of the string sets are identical), to get the best idea what suits your ear and style.

The more expensive Fender, I am unfamiliar with in the extreme. I own a Fender, "Sonoran", (same price range?), it's OK, but not as good as my Epiphone EJ-200-SCE.
So more "bang for the buck" from the Epi., better tuners, bound neck, yadda, yadda.l

The Yamaha FGX-700 is an A/E guitar with cutaway, which compares very favorably, (some might argue, "is better than"), the "Dove Pro", and "Hummingbird Pro" models. Here in the US, those three guitar have exactly the same daily selling price. But, I expect you'd be quite happy with any of the three.

BTW, I wish our US English keyboards had those crazy upside down question marks.
Quote by iamfiorella

-Fender CD60
-Epiphone Dove Pro
-Fender FA-300CE

I bought a dove pro a few weeks ago, and I have absolutely no complaints about it. Sounds great, stays in tune, and it's built extremely well for its price range. As someone else mentioned above, the hummingbird is essentially the same thing with different tonewoods, a more colorful, red/yellow finish, and the preamp controls are on the outside of the body. There's a few different videos on YouTube of people comparing them if you're interested.

Quote by Bladez22