so i'm working with earmaster 6 software and the instructed "aural tape" of my workbook, but what i'm missing is a good headstart of songs into ear training in rock and metal (and maybe some blues)
i always learned songs by tabs which always resulted in me not being able to memorize most of them by heart also neglecting my aural skills

i'm into stuff like slash, led zeppelin, lynyrd skynyrd, zz top, SRV and alikes in the rock department and into machine head, trivium, avenged sevenfold, amon amarth, ensiferium, lamb of god, buckethead, steve vai pref thrash metal, folk metal, melodic death metal, to some extend shred/speed metal stuff (just examples)

so i'd love to have a list of songs that are managable in those genres, followed by some pref. gradually increasing in difficulty
Probably not what you want to hear, but simple tunes, like nursery rhymes, anthems, folk tunes, are a really good source for ear training ... for trying to hear the intervals in the melody against the tonal centre of the melody.

This is actually surprisingly tricky initially ... once that sort of stuff is nailed, then it's easier to deal with melodies over harmonies, and recognising chords by ear.

Don't make the mistake I did of trying to learn to hear the intervals from melody note to melody note ... that slows down your progress (rather, my progress) a great deal ... since in most musical contexts, you're dealing with a tonal centre for some while (depending on genre), and being able to hear what's going on against that is more productive.

cheers, Jerry
you listen to a lot of really simple music so listen to those and try and figure them out

if you can't, you're not good enough. slow them down or find something simpler. rinse and repeat

practices makes perfect, and ear training isn't something you're gonna nail instantly. even when you've been very well trained, to do a proper full transcription, it can be quite daunting with a dense production and you'll have to find software to slow it down or keep punching at straws until you can break through that plateau

it's better for you to learn how to push through difficult things early on so you have those skills when you listen to good music and want to learn that
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
i can see the importance of practicing against a tonal centre in your post, does that mean i should neglect intervals practiced by themselves?
I think pure interval practice is helpful (I haven't done it very much and I'm not particularly good at just hearing two random notes and naming the intervals), but what jerry's saying, and I agree, is that listening to the sound of intervals in relation to the tonic (or just the root of the chord) is a very helpful way of thinking of things.

Basically, if you're in Am and the melody goes A C F D E it's good to think 1 b3 b6 4 5 instead of thinking up b3, up 4, down b3, up 2.

Either way knowing the intervals is important, but the first way is a more practical way of thinking about things. It's good to know where you are in relation.

I'm sure pure interval training will help develop your ear, but I think figuring out tunes by ear is more helpful. I'm probably biased on this since I haven't done very much strictly interval based ear training. I learned all the intervals and what they look like, and have just internalized what things sound like by playing a lot and figuring things out by ear. I don't feel like I'm as good at it as I should be, I'm just decent, but I feel like figuring out songs is more helpful than just hearing the intervals cold and guessing.

But yea, start with figuring out nursery rhymes and stuff like that. mary had a little lamb, twinkle twinkle, jingle bells, silent night. Once you've worked through a few simple things and feel more confident try some simpler rock stuff like black sabbath (paranoid, electric funeral, hand of doom, fairies wear boots) some simpler zeppelin songs, (good times bad times, heartbreaker, immigrant song, misty mountain hop, the ocean) or just anything that doesn't sound too difficult to you, and then just keep trying harder things.

I've found it helpful to figure something out by ear, and then look up a tab to see how well you did. Just don't assume that the tab is right and you are wrong, compare the two and decide which one actually sounds right, and be aware that the same notes can be played in multiple places. A lot of times tabs will have really awkward ways of playing things, but sometimes whoever tabbed it will have the notes in a better position than what you figured out. Just use your own judgement.