Don't want to play it live, but I just know some chick in skimpy gear will step up and plead for it one night...it's happened before. Two gigs in a row the same girl jumps up and asks to sing it...nails it, semi professional singer though. I think she stalks our gigs now.

Anyway, I can struggle through the intro but because I don't have much spare time to learn 10minute solos I start to sweat nervously when I get to the trickier fast triplet pieces as I have no idea how it goes. How best can I get through this part without playing note for note? Can I just do some fancy fret tapping somewhere to bide time until I find my way back to the slow bend parts?

Any ideas would be appreciated,,,,
If people are requesting it they probably expect to hear the real solo. Don't improvise just to avoid learning something difficult, put the effort in and you'll be rewarded.
Last edited by derek8520 at Jul 21, 2015,
You can really do anything you want, that's the beauty of improv.

But you said "don't want to play it live." Then don't. You're the band, you play the songs that you guys play.
Also, stop letting people on stage. It may seem like a dick move to them, but its your stage, and you're the one getting paid to play(presumably being paid). If they want the stage, they can put in hours and hours of rehearsal to do it.

The one thing that drives me nuts when I'm on stage is people who think they can hop up and dance on stage without invitation and try to sing in the mic. 9/10 time they can't sing in key. And that sometimes paints the picture than anyone can hop on stage whenever.
First solo is a pretty signature part of the song, and people would wonder why if you didn't play it right. People might remember the beginning of the second solo, but you can probably hack your way through the latter portion (at some point even Slash just cops out and goes chromatic).
Quote by derek8520
If people are requesting it they probably expect to the real solo. Don't improvise just to avoid learning something difficult, put the effort in and you'll be rewarded.

yeah this is one solo that even a half drunk chick knows and will notice if you don't play it right. plent of tabs out there so just learn the notes and play it. you'll need a wha of course.
The legato run during the shred bit of the second solo is the reason why I haven't picked up a guitar for 4 years. I'd be careful.
Yep, think I might just work through the main solo bit by bit until I get something that resembles it, without getting too anal about it. We're probably too accommodating to the crowd. We used to just tell them to fruck off but we've gone all soft now. I'm not a fast player and prefer a Clapton approach. I can handle Angus Young solos because they're pretty much blues pentatonic and loads of Legato...and my fingers can handle that, but this Slash solo is confusing. Plenty of tabs but they really don't help with the feel of it, so I have an app that slows down the song so I can learn by ear. I'll keep going with it....
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
The legato run during the shred bit of the second solo is the reason why I haven't picked up a guitar for 4 years. I'd be careful.

What? I've been playing this song love for like 4 years with my band almost the same(not exact notes) and I can not think of any legato runs at all...
Quote by esky15
What? I've been playing this song love for like 4 years with my band almost the same(not exact notes) and I can not think of any legato runs at all...

I'm assuming he means that fast ,meandering ascending run that bridges the slow and fast solo parts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'm assuming he means that fast ,meandering ascending run that bridges the slow and fast solo parts.

Makes sense.