I write my own music but want to spice up the guitar side of my sound as I feel that I write strong melodies, I want something in my music to make my guitar stand out more!

My question really is what style of guitar is this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3aBLhViR8M

This is what I want to learn to play like, as well as singing my melodies. where do I start with this style of playing? What is the guy actually doing.. Playing chords but using single strings to make more sounds from the guitar?

Its really frustrating because I am self taught but wouldn't know where to start when wanting to learn to play like this.

Thanks to anyone with advice for me.
heaven..its a blues flavored in E..much like early Hendrix (voodoo child)..a blues riff derived from the E chord followed by an E chord but infering E7 most likely..then using blues progression devices like.. bVI bVII..(C to D) he varies it with C D A back to E and a G F C D(A) E toward the end

Listen to 60's blues bands and you will hear a lot of this type progression.. early Fleetwood mac does a riff very similar in one of their tunes "Oh Well"
play well

wolf
When making this type of music then, is it best to have a riff down first, before you add a melody over and does the melody follow the riff with this style?

I usually write my melody first, so doing it that way how best is it to work a riff around a melody, do I finger pick certain strings that work with the melody or what?

Sorry if this seems noobish but its one of the things about guitar that confuses me the most really.

Any help is really appreciated!

Thank you
Quote by heaven086
When making this type of music then, is it best to have a riff down first, before you add a melody over and does the melody follow the riff with this style?

I usually write my melody first, so doing it that way how best is it to work a riff around a melody, do I finger pick certain strings that work with the melody or what?

Sorry if this seems noobish but its one of the things about guitar that confuses me the most really.

Any help is really appreciated!

Thank you

ok..I suggest you study some basic blues styles-there are many variations..UTube has lots of basic blues lessons..get that down first..you will find "your melody" may fit several different chord changes..get to know the basic scales and arpeggios of the chords..this will be where a majority of your melody notes come from..when you have a fairly good grasp of this..adding "riffs..scale fragments" etc will come much easier and you see how they can compliment the melody..study some early Clapton -BB & Albert King..and some of the very early blues masters..Howlin Wolf..Muddy Waters..there is a wealth of material from just these two greats..
play well

wolf