Page 1 of 2
Shamelessly inspired by vintage x metal's sig. Do you agree with this?

I was researching parts of the brain not too long ago, and which ones are 'over-active' or 'under-active' in certain types of people with things, and wondered something similar; along the lines of if everyone had perfectly balanced parts in their brain/'gut'-brains, would we still act the same/ have a 'soul' eg AI or something?

Discuss. Or shitpost (eg. "Have you like, ever seen the reflection of your reflection in your pupils in the mirror, brooo, woah man")
I am inside myself

And your mother
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

There is an urge inside of me to get the urine outside of my bladder.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Heh, shitpost. I'm gonna go against my norm and try to assert a genuine statement on the topic, though brief it will be.

I know next to nothing about neurology and such but I'm of the opinion that a "perfectly balanced" anything is a literal impossibility and that everything, from our own minds to the expanse of the universe shifts unpredictably. Personal, societal, and cosmological behaviors are where they belong now, and will be where they belong tomorrow, and the manner in which we as individuals perceive each other and the world around us and just how this impacts us on an emotional level will be a constant within our species as this is our purpose as living beings - to feel and interpret what the cold essentials of existence cannot.

Or something like that, it's amazing what one tall draft beer can do on an empty stomach.
Quote by wafflesyrup
Heh, shitpost. I'm gonna go against my norm and try to assert a genuine statement on the topic, though brief it will be.

I know next to nothing about neurology and such but I'm of the opinion that a "perfectly balanced" anything is a literal impossibility and that everything, from our own minds to the expanse of the universe shifts unpredictably. Personal, societal, and cosmological behaviors are where they belong now, and will be where they belong tomorrow, and the manner in which we as individuals perceive each other and the world around us and just how this impacts us on an emotional level will be a constant within our species as this is our purpose as living beings - to feel and interpret what the cold essentials of existence cannot.

Or something like that, it's amazing what one tall draft beer can do on an empty stomach.

But if we meant 'perfectly balanced' as present, close-to-similar relational experiences/etc, and did some 'neurological baseline-ing (I also dont study neuroscience outside of hobby rofl) zen-y plasticity training' work to get everyone on the 'same page', would everything be a constant just at that moment, you think? Like everyone following the same language-game, but 'personality'-game or something instead
Quote by Fat Lard

I was researching parts of the brain not too long ago, and which ones are 'over-active' or 'under-active' in certain types of people with things, and wondered something similar; along the lines of if everyone had perfectly balanced parts in their brain/'gut'-brains, would we still act the same/ have a 'soul' eg AI or something?

Discuss. Or shitpost (eg. "Have you like, ever seen the reflection of your reflection in your pupils in the mirror, brooo, woah man")

"browsing wikipedia"
Quote by seanlang01
"browsing wikipedia"

woah there buddy, I also used google image fyi
I have signatures off so I didn't see vxm's
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Law off the chronic, lardy.

What are you even trying to say?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I "am" my brain but I can also recognize my own brain WHOAAAAA
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Fat Lard
But if we meant 'perfectly balanced' as present, close-to-similar relational experiences/etc, and did some 'neurological baseline-ing (I also dont study neuroscience outside of hobby rofl) zen-y plasticity training' work to get everyone on the 'same page', would everything be a constant just at that moment, you think? Like everyone following the same language-game, but 'personality'-game or something instead

Like in that movie Equilibrium? lol

I dunno, couldn't even guess on that. I hadn't considered.
I don't get it
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
This thread makes me wanna take drugs again.

No but what would be a reliable way of testing this, no matter how far-fetched? Like, take two identical twins, raise them separate from each other but in the exact same conditions, being cared for by the exact same individuals, taught the exact same things, and possibly even applied identical, artificially induced, emotional trauma to them at key moments in their development?

Then you gave both of them a knife, put them in a locked room together, and told them that only one person would be leaving the room alive. Now that would be a show for the ages.
🙈 🙉 🙊
you are really all the things that are outside of you
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by entity0009

No but what would be a reliable way of testing this, no matter how far-fetched? Like, take two identical twins, raise them separate from each other but in the exact same conditions, being cared for by the exact same individuals, taught the exact same things, and possibly even applied identical, artificially induced, emotional trauma to them at key moments in their development?

Then you gave both of them a knife, put them in a locked room together, and told them that only one person would be leaving the room alive. Now that would be a show for the ages.

I imagined twins - conjoined at the head - with a cheap paper-cardboard partition physically separating the view of one twin from another.

Edit: Brave Cruel World.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Jul 20, 2015,
i am beside myself
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Zaphikh
I imagined twins - conjoined at the head - with a cheap paper-cardboard partition physically separating the view of one twin from another.

Sounds like the basis for a cheap dark comedy.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Even when he's talking about my interests and topics related to my subject of career choice, I still can't understand what Fat Lard says.
Free Ali
Quote by entity0009

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/magazine/the-mixed-up-brothers-of-bogota.html?_r=0
Quote by entity0009
Sounds like the basis for a cheap dark comedy.

Oh sure.

I can see it now. 'Twin A' would be taught his entire life that he's mentally ill and the voice he hears his entire life (his twin sibling's attempts at desperate communication beyond the cardboard partition) is nothing more than a symptom of his mental psychosis. He will continuously believe the external pressures of a life-long depraved joke of being raised as the Village Idiot. 'Twin B' is nothing more than a severely depressed sociopath, fully aware of the pettiness of the entire partition schematic, yet continuously feeding off of the absurdity it creates in his life.
Quote by entity0009 at #33510206
No but what would be a reliable way of testing this, no matter how far-fetched? Like, take two identical twins, raise them separate from each other but in the exact same conditions, being cared for by the exact same individuals, taught the exact same things, and possibly even applied identical, artificially induced, emotional trauma to them at key moments in their development.

Here's a well known thing that is somewhat relevant.
Free Ali
Quote by Baby Joel
i am beside myself

Are you the point?
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I've read it a few more times and I think what you're trying to say is that you're wondering whether we'd still have the same personality if every part of the brain was as active as another. Is this your question?
Free Ali
Quote by Zaphikh
Oh sure.

I can see it now. 'Twin A' would be taught his entire life that he's mentally ill and the voice he hears his entire life (his twin sibling's attempts at desperate communication beyond the cardboard partition) is nothing more than a symptom of his mental psychosis. He will continuously believe the external pressures of a life-long depraved joke of being raised as the Village Idiot. 'Twin B' is nothing more than a severely depressed sociopath, fully aware of the pettiness of the entire partition schematic, yet continuously feeding off of the absurdity it creates in his life.

We need a script for this.

Quote by chrismendiola

I see no mention of knife fights
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Will Lane
I often feel like I'm watching a movie of me. Or as if I'm a person playing sims.

You are. And so am I
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by chrismendiola
I've read it a few more times and I think what you're trying to say is that you're wondering whether we'd still have the same personality if every part of the brain was as active as another. Is this your question?

yeah

My belief is they would still be different, even if genetic code was the same a la identical twins. There'd still be slight differences in personality even if nature:nurture was =, thus, I have concluded past Descartes that there is indeed a soul, and a God. QED atheists
Quote by nico_9550
I am me

nah mang you the eggman
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Fat Lard at #33510302
yeah

My belief is they would still be different, even if genetic code was the same a la identical twins. There'd still be slight differences in personality even if nature:nurture was =, thus, I have concluded past Descartes that there is indeed a soul, and a God. QED atheists

From what I can gather from what I've learnt as an aspiring practitioner of neurology/neuroscience, how active parts of your brain are is dictated by your experience.

Neurons are the base part of your nervous systems- nerve cells. They send chemical and electrical messages to one another (and to other cells) via synapses- gaps between those cells. The strength of these connections depends on how often you repeat a behaviour- whether you're trying to commit something to memory, receiving a stimulus, practice actions, etc.

The activity excites these neurons through electrical messages. The less you excite the neurons, the weaker the connection becomes- which is why you find it difficult to remember things that haven't crossed your mind in a while or to play guitar after some time away from using it.

The more you use it, the more active that part of the brain is. The temporal lobe, for example, has been found to facilitate the sense of hearing- such as some tasks involved in hearing music or language. Musicians would have more activity in their temporal lobe. So would people who speak multiple languages.

TL;DR - Your experiences have a direct effect on what parts of your brain are more active. It would be completely reasonable to believe that if one's brain was changed such that all parts are equally active, his or her personality would change since this would mean that your experiences would be different than what they were before this rearrangement.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 20, 2015,
Quote by entity0009

man i thought i was fucked up
Quote by chrismendiola
From what I can gather from what I've learnt as an aspiring practitioner of neurology/neuroscience, how active parts of your brain are is dictated by your experience.

Neurons are the base part of your nervous systems- nerve cells. They send chemical and electrical messages to one another (and to other cells) via synapses- gaps between those cells. The strength of these connections depends on how often you repeat a behaviour- whether you're trying to commit something to memory, receiving a stimulus, practice actions, etc.

The activity excites these neurons through electrical messages. The less you excite the neurons, the weaker the connection becomes- which is why you find it difficult to remember things that haven't crossed your mind in a while or to play guitar after some time away from using it.

The more you use it, the more active that part of the brain is. The temporal lobe, for example, has been found to facilitate the sense of hearing- such as some tasks involved in hearing music or language. Musicians would have more activity in their temporal lobe. So would people who speak multiple languages.

TL;DR - Your experiences have a direct effect on what parts of your brain are more active. It would be completely reasonable to believe that if one's brain was changed such that all parts are equally active, his or her personality would change since this would mean that your experiences would be different than what they were before this rearrangement.

aka: neuroplasticity
Quote by Fat Lard

I like to be inside Women, and I hope they like being outside me.
Page 1 of 2