So I've looked up a diagram, tried several things on what should be a simple pickup install, and I have to be missing something obvious. I'm learning, and using an old Ibby cheapo with an old Ibby stock pup, but I can't figure this and I'm frustrated.

I'm wiring a single humbucker to the bridge, no split or tap, no switch, with a volume and no tone. I have a ground going to the trem claw, and the rest is shown in the attached picture. I know the output jack is wired correctly, but something is wrong with the vol pot.

Thanks in advance for the help.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by Tallwood13
the red wire from the pickup as it looks like a 2 conductor pickup isn't going to the right place

this site helps big time even for non-seymour duncan pickups
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

That was the first site I went to but the problem is that this pickup has only three wires coming from the main wire cable - one white, one red, and one bare. The diagrams on that site all have four. Seems like it should be simple, and I might just be tired but this is irking me...

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
do you know which model pickup it is? I have a multimeter handy so it helps me big time solving these questions but I'm curious to see what google will do.

usually in these situations try the other way around, bare is always going to be ground but the white and red wires switch them around and see what happens. On a set of INF ( i think) pickups I ended up stripping the wire a bit back on this RG350 pickup and found a 4th wire , but i'd love to see what the jem forum or anything to do with ibanez can pull up on the pickup.
It's an old circa 2002 QM2. So it's digging a but haha. I'll strip the main wire back a bit and see if there's anything else as well. Thanks for the help so far

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Switch the red and white wires.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by an.interloper
So I've looked up a diagram, tried several things on what should be a simple pickup install, and I have to be missing something obvious. I'm learning, and using an old Ibby cheapo with an old Ibby stock pup, but I can't figure this and I'm frustrated.

I'm wiring a single humbucker to the bridge, no split or tap, no switch, with a volume and no tone. I have a ground going to the trem claw, and the rest is shown in the attached picture. I know the output jack is wired correctly, but something is wrong with the vol pot.

Thanks in advance for the help.

What exactly is wrong with it?
Quote by xnameisonx
What exactly is wrong with it?

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my explanation there. I meant that something was wrong with how it's wired, not that something is wrong with the pot itself.

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by an.interloper
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my explanation there. I meant that something was wrong with how it's wired, not that something is wrong with the pot itself.

Yeah, but what is the result of it being wired wrong?

Do you not get any sound? Do you get a weaker/thinner sound than you should?

If it's no sound at all you probably been to make the white wire the hot wire. If only one coil is working, then try disconnecting the white wire.
I don't know if all two wire humbuckes are wired the same way, but the one in one of my guitars used one wire as the hot and the other one was for coil tapping, with only the bare wire going to the ground, so you may want to try that. Then try each wire to so which is the right one. You'll want to put some insulating tape or shrink wrap or something on the unused wire
Figured it, and thanks only to your guys' help. The Red and white needed switched, but I'll take the last advice and use the other and leave the last one taped off, because now that the pup is working, it's only firing the inner coil instead of both as a humbucker. Still, got it now, and you guys are awesome. Thanks for the help.

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at Jul 23, 2015,
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .