Evening gents and gentesses. A year ago, I was in the market for an amp. On impulse I bought a Krank Rev 1. Basically, I'm sick of its tone. It's trebly and there's no saturation at all. The voicing is pretty terrible. So, what I've limited my options too are a Peavey XXX, JSX, or a Dual Rectifier. The rectifier is about 400-500 more on Ebay. It would be about another month of saving. Which wouldn't be a problem. My question is, is the dual rec worth the wait? I play mainly metal. I have a 2x12 Avatar cab and a pedal board. All I really need is a new amp head. Thanks.
Nearly any Mesa head from the 90s on will bring saturated metal heaven. Cruise CL and see what you find.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The rectifier is worth the wait if that's the tone you need -- but it's quite a different tone from those other two. Not better, not worse, just different -- and really only obtainable with, well, a rectifier.

I haven't tried a XXX, but I've played a JSX. I was VERY impressed with it -- so much that I just may buy one in the future. The cleans were excellent, the crunch was excellent, and the leads were smooth, liquid, and vocal-like. The brootz channel was aggressive enough for death metal, in my opinion. It was actually not far off from my 6505+; just a little smoother and a tad less angry sounding. I liked it way better than any of the Rectifiers I've tried.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Try a Recto before you buy one. They have a tone of their own. Make sure you like them.
Personally, I'd rather play a JSX, myself.

But first, try some JJ's in the Krank. Maybe even an RFT in V1, if you can find one for a reasonable price. These are darker sounding tubes which may sort it out. And if they don't, keep 'em for the next amp; no money wasted. They'll also work well in the amps you mentioned.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
just to add, not all recs are good. i would recommend not getting a 3ch, the two channels are voiced a lot better. keep in mind that the single (while it does sound good) doesn't have tube rectification, (i personally like the tube rectification so i would go dual or triple).

i really like my tremoverb. its got really nice cleans, and comparing to other recs i have played is just as brootal.

i like JSX's. i haven't ever owned one, but they are pretty sweet. i didn't like the XXX as much as the JSX.

look into a splawn nitro (kt88). ****ing thing is beast, sometimes they go where i would assume your budget is.

can you give us an exact budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Wouldn't putting some JJ's in require re biasing? If I has to guess an exact budget. Maybe 1100-1200. I was trying to keep it lower then that. But, it wouldn't kill me to save a little more. I was wanting one by next payday which would put me about $650-$700. I'm just rushing it, though. I was trying to get one before I moved in with my girlfriend.
Preamp tubes, not power tubes. So no biasing required.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
this may be worth a look. its a beast. i have had mine for quite a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Splawn rules for sure if you can afford one.

I'd mess with the Krank a bit more. Robb can shed more light if he see's this.

Tube swaps and maybe an EQ in the loop is what I'd try first.

I have a Rectoverb and love it. Just put EL34s in it tonight again and may leave it that way for awhile. Also did some preamp tube swapping. Kept JJs in but put a NOS 5751 in the phase inverter again. EQ in the loop and you can do just about anything. Very underrated trick.

I love the JSX too and the XXX but they still have a bit of that Peavey compressed fizz. Yeah - it can be dialed out but it reduces the tonal range IMO.

Just for fun - do this and then we'll go from there. K?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
I have an MXR 10 band eq in the loop. Everytime I mess with that thing, my tone seems to get worse. I don't mind so much that it's trebly. I just can't seem to saturate it, any. That's with a Maxon OD808 boosting it. Found a Splawn on Ebay for under $1000. Might have to look into that. I should probably start messing around with tubes. I've never done that.
1.) Are you comfortable learning how to swap tubes? It is easy.

2.) What preamp tubes are in there now? Exactly?

3.) So the 10 band EQ does not help?

4.) That is a great price for a Splawn. Give it serious consideration.

5.) Get some JJ's

v.......ummmm. No.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawn rules for sure if you can afford one.

I'd mess with the Krank a bit more. Robb can shed more light if he see's this.

Tube swaps and maybe an EQ in the loop is what I'd try first.

I have a Rectoverb and love it. Just put EL34s in it tonight again and may leave it that way for awhile. Also did some preamp tube swapping. Kept JJs in but put a NOS 5751 in the phase inverter again. EQ in the loop and you can do just about anything. Very underrated trick.

I love the JSX too and the XXX but they still have a bit of that Peavey compressed fizz. Yeah - it can be dialed out but it reduces the tonal range IMO.

Just for fun - do this and then we'll go from there. K?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

i tend to agree with 311 a lot. he turned me onto splawn several years ago.

the "Peavey compressed fizz" is a great phrasing regarding the XXX and JSX. i don't think i would buy a XXX, because of that. JSX's are a lot better though IMO.

i haven't tried EL34's in my tremoverb, but sometime i will get around to it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i paid $1050 shipped for my nitro probably in 2011 or 2012. i snagged my Promod for ~$950 shipped probably in 2011. the market has changed quite a bit since then. i don't think a splawn would disappoint.

preamp tubes can make a huge difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I didn't know where else to post this since I'm a new member and can't make a new thread. I'd like to build a mini amp with vol, bass, mid, gain, and on/off switch. What components do I need for this? Btw I'd like it to run on 9v battery. My father is very good with wiring and schematics so if you could post a link with the parts needed that would be great, I was thinking of buying an lm386 and hooking up all these extra components needed to put the eq setting on there is that possible?
Quote by PimpSlickBack
I didn't know where else to post this since I'm a new member and can't make a new thread. I'd like to build a mini amp with vol, bass, mid, gain, and on/off switch. What components do I need for this? Btw I'd like it to run on 9v battery. My father is very good with wiring and schematics so if you could post a link with the parts needed that would be great, I was thinking of buying an lm386 and hooking up all these extra components needed to put the eq setting on there is that possible?

welcome! please don't thread jack as it is frowned upon. i would post a thread in the GB&C subforum, good luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by PimpSlickBack

Welcome to the UG forum.

You will need to make your own thread.

I suggest starting in this subforum instead and please add some more specifics.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Maybe break your thoughts out into paragraphs and bullet points to make it easier to digest. There are people here that can help you. There are also some good tutorials out on the web on how start off building a simple Class A amplifier. Good luck.

But yeah, threadjacking, is against the rules.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588141

^ Derek
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2015,
I'm sure the eq would help if I stopped getting so discouraged. I move one slider, it sounds okay. I move another and ruin it. The preamp tubes I have are Ei Yugoslavia 12ax7. I'm a little leery of changing tubes seeing as I've never done it. I don't want to get electrocuted. But, I'm sure I could get used to it.
Last edited by Tylander at Jul 21, 2015,
Quote by Tylander
I'm sure the eq would help if I stopped getting so discouraged. I move one slider, it sounds okay. I move another and ruin it. The preamp tubes I have are Ei Yugoslavia 12ax7.

new tubes can help.

what eq do you have exactly?

wait until rob pops up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Those tubes are a rare find. Telefunken connection. Later Ei's were a pale substitute.
However, they can be a bit sterile and toppy. Just experiment with V1.
DON'T sell the amp with those in it. Keep them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
V1 is the first tube in the chain. Normally the one closest to the input jack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tylander
What's V1? My eq is the 10 Band MXR.

the MXR 10band is pretty much industry standard as far as EQ's go. i have one but it has a problem and i haven't gotten around to fixing it.

you just have to mess around with the sliders. i don't really have any specific advice, other than to tweak and tweak and try again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks for the help guys didn't know about that I'll make that new thread tomorrow. It's 12 am were I'm at rn I'm pretty tired lol
Thanks for telling me guys didn't know about that, I'll make sure not to do it again, I'm a noob here on the forums lol
I use a $30 Danelectro Fish n Chips 6 band EQ. Nyquist setting.

BTW - I really like the Peavey's. I recommend them all of time. You can find JSX's for sick prices. I used to defend the Peavey fizz and tell people to dial it out but it is still there.
Try a new Mullard cv4004 in v1, JJ ecc803 V2/V3, and a Sovtek 12ax7lps or JAN Phillips/ge 5751 in the PI slot.
JJ in the power amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't see any real need to go past V1. Yugo Ei's are great tubes. An RFT in V1 is what I'd try first. Well, if V1 is common, that is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah man I think there's something up here, every Krank I've played had no issue getting saturated. Clips?

I don't have any Kranks currently, but id say they were some of the most saturated amps I've played, if you and I are talking about the same thing with "saturation".
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
So i just made this account and didn't know how to start a thread, I play in two bands whose sounds range anywhere from the beautifully clean to over the top metal. Like most people i am in search of that do it all amp and Ive picked two that seem to work. This is my question: Peavey JSX or Carvin X100B which is the champ. thank you
Last edited by riley.larkin1 at Jul 23, 2015,
Quote by riley.larkin1
So i just made this account and didn't know how to start a thread, I play in two bands whose sounds range anywhere from the beautifully clean to over the top metal. Like most people i am in search of that do it all amp and Ive picked two that seem to work. This is my question: Peavey JSX or Carvin X100B which is the champ. thank you

welcom!

start your own thread for better help, as generally thread-jacking is frowned upon.

i have played both some, but i have spent more time with a JSX. IMO a JSX is pretty good across the board, all three channels are pretty good if you get them dialed in a bit. i think the active EQ throws some people off. you just have to get used to it and it isn't that big of a deal.

the carvin X100B's are a hell of an amp. i like them quite a bit, but they have a different tone about them. not a bad thing though.

it really depends on what tone you are looking for specifically.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!