I've heard that some interfaces clip when using DI for guitar. If I am using a mic to record guitar, I am assuming that there will be no clipping. Is this correct? I don't expect to be using a quarter inch cable anytime soon.
Quote by alexhager
I've heard that some interfaces clip when using DI for guitar. If I am using a mic to record guitar, I am assuming that there will be no clipping. Is this correct? I don't expect to be using a quarter inch cable anytime soon.

Any medium of recording sound, be it a mic, an instrument straight into the interface, instrument through several preamps and effects, etc can clip, and will clip. If you experience clipping, turn down the volume, get a DI box to lower the impedance, etc. Google for solutions.

There's no issue with recording with a mic, but clipping is still very possible. If you intend to use a mic to record an amplifier, be careful because you can still clip the hell out of it, and with some of the more sensitive condenser mics, you can even damage it if it's loud enough.
You need to read the introduction to recording sticky.

Thoroughly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Wow wonderful sound it is. If the sound is depends on mic, volume. you can use the instruments or input careful.