Never tried them. Thinking of picking some up for my ES-335.

Anyone have anything positive or negative to say about them? thanks
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Never used them myself, but I've thought about them. What holds me back is the wound 3rd string, which I have tried. The feel of it is very different for bending, which even after getting used to it I found annoying, and the stuff I was playing scraped the winding off that string in about a month or two at the frets I was using a lot, though that might just've been the low gauge or even just that I got a dud string, I guess.

So basically I think flatwounds sound great, but I wouldn't use them myself because I love my bends. If you don't bend so much you should be golden.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Flat wounds are great for jazz and slide playing. I had them on my Ibanez semi hollow when i was playing in a jazz band. Nice and warm.

Didn't like them for rock and roll though, and for power chords they feel funny.
Sorry tried them once years ago and didn't like the feel.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
There's no harm in trying a set and seeing if you like them. I know they are a bit more expensive than roundwounds usually, but... How else are you going to know whether they will work for you or not?

I like them for a particular type of clean tone, but not much else. They have a very strong fundamental tone, at the expense of upper harmonics. For most things, I find they sound quite dull and muddy, especially when any kind of distortion is introduced into the signal path.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
They're worth it just for the feel.

I tried them for the first time on my friends' fretless, it felt like I was sliding along the hairs of Jesus. There's so little friction, and it 'growls' less when plucked with fingers. The sound is a preference thing, depends what genre you're into. I think they work well with jazz.

If it's not too expensive it's worth trying
I like them on my dobro for slide.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've tried them too. Extremely smooth feeling but extremely muddy.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
There was a set on my Jackson DKMG when I bought it used from my buddy, he l
Said he loved them, I hated them, they were great as far as no finger noise when sliding power chords but sucked for bending. Overall they just felt weird and I couldn't get used to them, actually that guitar spent a lot of time in the case until I finally switched them out, but you might like them its worth a shot, not like it's an expensive permanent mod!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I haven't used them for aboput 50 years, and they were tape-wound. IIRC, they wore out very fast and sounded dull. I play slide, but have never felt the need for the additional quietness. I'm guessing that ground-wounds would be a bit higher tension for a given gauge due to more mass per unit length. Does anyone know?
Quote by Tony Done
I haven't used them for aboput 50 years, and they were tape-wound. IIRC, they wore out very fast and sounded dull. I play slide, but have never felt the need for the additional quietness. I'm guessing that ground-wounds would be a bit higher tension for a given gauge due to more mass per unit length. Does anyone know?

According to d'Addario you'd be right. Half rounds (this is the same as ground wound, right?) have a couple more lb tension at the same gauge.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I don't find that I need less scraping noise playing slide on my teles (plus I want pick scrapes) but on the dobro they do seem to help.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification