Hey guys,

So I've been experimenting with the old tried and tested method of using an OD pedal to saturate the input stage of a tube amp. Also watching a lot of videos on this.
The classic method is to use something like a tubescreamer with the gain down, volume up, crunch setting on the amp and you can switch between chunky tube crunch and a tighter more high gain sound just by boosting the input.

Now, my question is: what are the best OD pedals for this. Obviously TS808 and TS9 are tried and tested, but I'd prefer something a bit more unusual.
Maybe boutique, but I don't want to pay over the odds for a quirky name and paint job.

So, no Marshall, no Boss, no DOD or Digitech.
I'm thinking more Blackstar, Way Huge, or any number of weird and wonderful micro small companies I've never heard of.
Sound can be classic British rock to modern American metal, but I'm definitely more interested in the distortion coming from the amp (I have a Hayden Mofo 30W) than the pedal (I already have an MFX that can produce distortion through a clean amp).

Cheers.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Timmy

MI audio blues pro

CMATTMODS signa drive

Voodoo labs sparkle drive

Fulltone Fulldrive

Etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks, CMATTMODS looks like the sort of thing I'm after.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Wampler Plexi Drive any good?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Thanks, CMATTMODS looks like the sort of thing I'm after.

it's a tubescreamer

you can pay a lot more money, but it'll basically do the same thing. an awful lot of the time, all those boutique "mods" are (a) not that complicated and (b) actually designed for people who use the thing as a standalone overdrive rather than as a boost.

a boss sd1 is pretty good for something in the same vein as a tubescreamer, but slightly different. can have a bit of bleed in bypass (cured by putting another buffered pedal in front). the cheaper daphon clone doesn't seem to have that problem.

for a more transparent boost, the timmy is very good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave_Mc.
Other ones I am looking into:
Way Huge Red Llama
Blackstar LT-Drive
Artec Black Battle
These are a little cheaper.
I may use it as a standalone OD at home bedroom levels but mostly it'll be boosting my amp in rehearsals or live.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Wampler Plexi Drive any good?
I've seen a few demos, I liked it. Also you might want to look into Klones, clones of the Klon Centaur. EHX Soul Food for budget, Arc Effects V2, Chellee Ponyboy, etc.
I recently stumbled upon Airis Pedals. Check them out.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If you're looking for just a boost, consider getting a pure booster pedal, like the Fulltone Fat Boost. If you want a boost with tone control, consider getting an EQ pedal with a volume control.

Other than that, a tube screamer or clone thereof.
if you just want to use it for boosting, get yourself a cheap boss sd-1. reliable switching and durable. tubescreamers are tried and tested for a reason. you put the gain down and level up, and you'll have the same result. other OD or boost pedals may not get the same result - i've tried with fuzzes, klon(e)s, EQs...and all had noise issues and didn't tighten up and saturate the amp the same way as the tubescreamer derivatives do.

if you want to use the dirt on the tubescreamer, then by all means go for something else. that said, the sd-1 does pretty well up until around noon. however, all tubescreamers get buzzy at high gain unless you have some intense high-end rolloff happening, and then you lose what you've got going on.
Check out the MXR M77 (Custom Modified Badass OD). It's basically a Boss sd1 on steroids, and generally runs quieter than most Boss pedals and definitely quieter than my TS 9 was.

What I like about it most is that it adds a little more grind than a TS-type pedal, plus has a 100Hz (bass) knob so I can control tightness/bass cut. It also has a "bump" switch that shifts the EQ downward for more of a lows/mids emphasis. I typically leave that off and favor just boosting the 100Hz knob a bit. It's a fantastic pedal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 21, 2015,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
if you just want to use it for boosting, get yourself a cheap boss sd-1. reliable switching and durable. tubescreamers are tried and tested for a reason. you put the gain down and level up, and you'll have the same result. other OD or boost pedals may not get the same result - i've tried with fuzzes, klon(e)s, EQs...and all had noise issues and didn't tighten up and saturate the amp the same way as the tubescreamer derivatives do.

if you want to use the dirt on the tubescreamer, then by all means go for something else. that said, the sd-1 does pretty well up until around noon. however, all tubescreamers get buzzy at high gain unless you have some intense high-end rolloff happening, and then you lose what you've got going on.

yeah pretty much
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want a transparent boost try the seymour duncan pickup booster. I know it's not an OD pedal but just look up a few videos of it.
Last edited by samclayton19 at Jul 21, 2015,
OK, EHX Soul Food is a Centaur clone, EHX East River Drive is a TS clone?
Think I'm gonna try one of these for the price, see how they go.
Listening to youtube clips and reviews and I can't decide.
What's the pros and cons of these? Or is it just preference?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
^ I think so. I'm not sure if the ERD is a straight clone or a slightly tweaked clone (I haven't tried it).

FWIW I don't much like the soul food as a boost for higher gain tones- not tight enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
East river is essentially a tube screamer clone. For pedals that provide more than enough gain in the level knob alone, look at either the Green Rhino or a Hardwire (the higher quality division of digitech) CM-2. I suggest a Green Rhino over a Red llama from Way Huge since you can tweak more. For max tonal versatility/tweaking I'd look at a Duncan 805 but it doesn't seem to have as much boost in the level knob as the other two. Those 2 also have more in the level than the MXR custom badass OD.

Personally I like an overdrive with options so I'm not hampered by anything. Like, the 805 won't have any mid-hump or brightness inherent in a ts-9 since you have control it. With separate bass/treble controls you can cut bass to make things tight without having to change your high end, whereas a single tone changes both.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 21, 2015,
OP do you want a weird name or something that actually will work for you? don't be so quick to discount the better known names. many boutique pedals are just variations of a tubescreamer so keep that in mind. if you are using an OD with the boost method then getting some big $ boutique pedal in many cases is a waste of money. ok i'll recomend this if you can find one T-REX CRUNCHY FROG. it has a clean boost and overdrive in the same pedal (can be used seperately or together). the other thing you might want to look at is the Digitech Hardwire CM-2. yeah i know "evil" brand name but it's a great pedal and is digitechs answer to the boutique stuff.
Quote by monwobobbo
OP do you want a weird name or something that actually will work for you? don't be so quick to discount the better known names. many boutique pedals are just variations of a tubescreamer so keep that in mind. if you are using an OD with the boost method then getting some big $ boutique pedal in many cases is a waste of money. ok i'll recomend this if you can find one T-REX CRUNCHY FROG. it has a clean boost and overdrive in the same pedal (can be used seperately or together). the other thing you might want to look at is the Digitech Hardwire CM-2. yeah i know "evil" brand name but it's a great pedal and is digitechs answer to the boutique stuff.

+1. The CM2 is a sweet od and they go for ~$40 used. With humbuckers, it makes a frickin' awesome saturated bluesy clean boost in the modified setting, set up just like the metal guys do with gain at zero.

+1 for the SD1 as an alternative to start with. It covers the same sorta ground, but with a crispier, brighter gain.

Also, you may be interested in something like the MI Audio Crunch Box. Its a distortion but it cleans up very well. It does pretty much everything I want my od to do but it has gobs and gobs of useable gain. I don't think I've ever owned a dirt pedal with more, useable, range. It does have a distinctly Marshallish tint to it, if thats a good or bad thing.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 21, 2015,
The Soul Food is quite a dark pedal. If that's what you want then it's good. Otherwise - Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
OP do you want a weird name or something that actually will work for you? don't be so quick to discount the better known names. many boutique pedals are just variations of a tubescreamer so keep that in mind.

Not a weird name for the sake of it, I just thought the big brands would be more generic and the hand built, small companies might have more individual and different sounds.
But, thanks to you guys, I am coming to realise the part in bold.
I did look at a Digitech Bad Monkey, I have heard good things about them.
But I have ordered an East River Drive, it's cheap - I'll see how it goes
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
EDIT: ^ Nice

And yeah some boutique builders are doing unique things, but a lot aren't. Especially when it comes to overdrive pedals.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve
East river is essentially a tube screamer clone. For pedals that provide more than enough gain in the level knob alone, look at either the Green Rhino or a Hardwire (the higher quality division of digitech) CM-2. I suggest a Green Rhino over a Red llama from Way Huge since you can tweak more. For max tonal versatility/tweaking I'd look at a Duncan 805 but it doesn't seem to have as much boost in the level knob as the other two. Those 2 also have more in the level than the MXR custom badass OD.

Another one is the visual sound route 808 (I think it's been discontinued recently but with any luck some dealers may still have it, maybe at a decent price if you're lucky). It has a bit more boost on tap than a regular tubescreamer. Probably not just as much as the CM2, though- but the CM2, to my ears, doesn't sound quite as compressed as a tubescreamer, possibly since it runs at a higher internal voltage, so if you want something which sounds identical to a TS, it might not be the thing. Don't get me wrong- it gets very close, maybe 95%, I'm not saying it sounds nothing like one, and if you want something which sounds more or less like a tubescreamer it's absolutely close enough. IIRC you have to keep both tone knobs below 12 o'clock to get it sounding close to a TS.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 22, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo

+1

I don't think he can get the crunchy frog here, but thomann has its own range of exclusive T-Rex pedals much like GC- I'm not sure if it's the same as yours (I haven't tried either), the reverb appears to be different, but the overdrive looks like it might be the same.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_ego_drive.htm

pretty reasonably priced, too. or thomann or amazon have the cm2 for about £45.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fulltone ocd? cant believe im the first person to recomend it..
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle

ocd is the opposite of what you want you want in a pedal to boost your amp. bass boost and mid scoop.
Quote by losing battle

haha. i have an OCD, and i really don't care for it. i have tried it on quite a few amps and never been happy with it. i don't know why so many people have them.

+1 to NakedInTheRain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

I don't think he can get the crunchy frog here, but thomann has its own range of exclusive T-Rex pedals much like GC- I'm not sure if it's the same as yours (I haven't tried either), the reverb appears to be different, but the overdrive looks like it might be the same.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_ego_drive.htm

pretty reasonably priced, too. or thomann or amazon have the cm2 for about £45.

looks to be pretty much the same pedal. if it is then i recommend it highly. has great touch sensitivity. works a little better with my humbucker guitars as it is on the bright side.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?