Hey guys, i'm new here. i'm not sure if it's propriate to ask for advice with nothing in return.

i want to try some new techniques with tremolo, i mean like the diving or screaming stuff. right now i have only a home made guitar with a fixed bridge, so i gonna need a new 'mass produced' regular guitar with FR or bridge like that.

and i think these are what's important to me (decending sorted) :

A, good sustain when creating a very long note, diving or screaming(sorry i don't know what that should be called technically). i noticed that some cheap guitars with double locking tremolo bridge don't have a good sustain in such situation, some just went silent in a sudden.

B, versitality of tone. not too muddy drive sound for Rock. proper clean sound to do Funk, that will be versitile enough for me, weather coil splitted or not.

C, since it's just a hobby i don't want to spend too much money, budget will be under $1000. of course more economical the better ;p

oh, and i have a Line6 HD500, and some free VST plugins as my amp, that's all i have.

after doing some search i focused on these guitars :
1, ESP LTD m-1000 . good price and sound, but i doubt if it can do decent clean Funk sound.
2, Washburn PXM10FR. i thought it was made in USA and OFR, later found out it's Indonesia and FR-1000. but the salesman told me it's a fine crafted guitar.
3, Schecter Banshee Elite-6 FR. it has a sustainiac so i assume the sustain will be good. but it doesn't have coil split so i don't know if i can get a right clean Funk sound out of it.

sorry for my poor English, i hope you can understand what i mean.
any suggestion will be appreciated.
With that budget, I'd go for a Jackson Soloist Pro (SL2) or any other Jackson Pro if you don't mind different shapes. They, like most guitars are made in Indonesia with a FR-1000. Or if you can find one, a LTD Jeff Hanneman with a Kahler.
Quote by dthmtl3
With that budget, I'd go for a Jackson Soloist Pro (SL2) or any other Jackson Pro if you don't mind different shapes. They, like most guitars are made in Indonesia with a FR-1000. Or if you can find one, a LTD Jeff Hanneman with a Kahler.

I have one of those(trans red with a quilted maple veneer). The trem on it is pretty solid. I can actually lift the guitar off my knee(or up from playing position if I'm standing) by the bar(there's a screw collar that holds it in place, while still letting the bar rotate), bounce it a bit, and go back to playing.

Neck-through, too, so it's really comfortable playing all the way up the neck.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Jackson SL2 would be a really good choice, but I am biased towards Jacksons. For good reason, however.

Pickups that are in the standard SL2 are very versatile compared to what comes in comparable guitars (EMG's).

If you're willing to go used, depending on where you live, your options are vast with a $1000 budget.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 21, 2015,
jackson, or used jackson, charvel, up-market ibanez, etc..

otoh, playing funk on a jackson with a floyd, a pointy headstock, and shark tooth inlays looks strange unless you're blackbird of course.
Quote by ad_works
jackson, or used jackson, charvel, up-market ibanez, etc..

otoh, playing funk on a jackson with a floyd, a pointy headstock, and shark tooth inlays looks strange unless you're blackbird of course.

FWIW, the inlays on the Pro series are like this:

Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by ad_works

Or Michael Hampton.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 21, 2015,
Love those piranha inlays! But those come only on the Soloist. The Pro King V for instance has the shark fin inlays but also in the darker alumiloid color.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jul 21, 2015,
Quote by dthmtl3
Love those piranha inlays! But those come only on the Soloist. The Pro King V for instance has the shark fin inlays but also in the darker alumiloid color.

Fair point. Been a while since I went shopping for that one, and went with the soloist because it is(for me, anyway) the more comfortable body shape, compared to the V's.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by pumpkinhead666

2, Washburn PXM10FR. i thought it was made in USA and OFR, later found out it's Indonesia and FR-1000. but the salesman told me it's a fine crafted guitar.

I just bought this exact model Washburn Parallaxe it is indeed a well crafted guitar. The FR-1000 works as good as my German made FR Originals its not a cheapo like the Floyd Special plus it has the 36mm brass big block and spring silencers! The Stevens Extended Cutaway is awesome too. Look at the full spec sheet it has plenty of premium features, and the build quality is very high. Some folks get too hung up on where a guitar is made, if the parent company mandates high quality standards then country of origin becomes less relevant.

I got my Parallaxe used for $500 out the door and it is in mint condition. It's badass I would pay full price for one!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 22, 2015,
Quote by pumpkinhead666

I just bought this exact model Washburn Parallaxe it is indeed a well crafted guitar. The FR-1000 works as good as my German made FR Originals its not a cheapo like the Floyd Special plus it has the 36mm brass big block and spring silencers! The Stevens Extended Cutaway is awesome too. Look at the full spec sheet it has plenty of premium features, and the build quality is very high. Some folks get too hung up on where a guitar is made, if the parent company mandates high quality standards then country of origin becomes less relevant.

I got my Parallaxe used for $500 out the door and it is in mint condition. It's badass I would have no problem paying full price for one!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by dthmtl3

I like the piranha inlays too, both my DKMG and DKMGT have them. Of course they are out of production but you can still find nice used ones.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

ibanez prestige, i own three. wonderful craftsmanship and you can really abuse the trem without going out of tune.

jacksons would be second for me, i owned two MIJ and i don't remember the other. they are pretty nice too, good construction and quality overall. mine were all hardtail though.

what kind of neck shape are you looking for?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
thank you for all your suggestions.

since people say it's not that different between OFR and FR1000,
now i'm thinking about another question: what makes the sustain of a diving bomb out of a guitar longer or shorter?
neckthrough? (which i'm not sure how much better than a bolt on)
amount of gain? (for sure)
if the bridge is setup well? (i don't know how much or in what way affects it)
proper string tension? (not sure, while doing a diving bomb the tension changes constantly )

i'm grateful enough you guys gave me some specific models to look into. thank you.
Quote by pumpkinhead666
thank you for all your suggestions.

now i'm thinking about another question: what makes the sustain of a diving bomb out of a guitar longer or shorter?
neckthrough? (which i'm not sure how much better than a bolt on)
amount of gain? (for sure)
if the bridge is setup well? (i don't know how much or in what way affects it)
proper string tension? (not sure, while doing a diving bomb the tension changes constantly )

i'm grateful enough you guys gave me some specific models to look into. thank you.

your lack of real sustain is due to you're not having an actual amp. free plug ins only get you so far. a good bolt on neck will sustain as well as a neck thru so that isn't the issue.

yes tension changes when you use a trem that is the way it is.
you should be abel to find a lower end charvel for that. i highly recommend carvin. thier 800 dollar models are often the same build as thier 2000+ models, but you wont be able to get fancy woods and features. more probably a single color hard coat base model.

however, theri build quality is incredible, and for 800 bucks you can get something that plays as good as almost anything on the market.

thier floyd rose models will bump up price quite a bit, im ball parking about 1000-1100 ish for a BASELINE floyd model. no add ons. but really, thats still a better guitar than almost anything you will find out of a local guitar center.

like this, with the new kiesel lithium pickups

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/scb6

1079 witha floyd. no otehr add ons (or the free add ons).

also check their bolt on and DC series. bolt ons start lower, like 600ish so you may have budget for goodies. you probably cant do the carved top CT series which start baseline at 1000 for a hardtail.

i like the kiesel versions because aparnetly those pickups are much better for gainy type music but versatile for blues/jazz etc. 90 bucks a pop, so about a 180 value that come stock on the kiesel models. most people who buy the kiesels say tehy will keep those pups opposed to upgrading to X (bareknuckles,etc).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 26, 2015,
Quote by pumpkinhead666

a decent sustain block (probably solid brass if you're looking at floyd rose-type bridges; good quality strat-style bridges tend to use solid steel though some use brass as well).

that's probably the main thing.

good hardened steel knife edges might help too, though those normally go hand-in-hand with the quality sustain block if the trem is one of the decent ones. only ones i can think of with the hardened steel and not the brass block are the ibanez edge, edge pro and lo-pro edge.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thank you guys.
i went to grab an ibanez at last. sadly i was persuaded at that moment and didn't stick to my plan, and got a good looking model with not so good bridge (edge III, no ZPS). the metal looks not so endurable, and tuning my strings was really a nightmare..... i don't know, maybe the bridge is ok but i need some time to know what is necessary to solve all these.

i'm a little regret now.
i think i'll find one with sustain block in it next time. Parallaxe maybe, or one with at least FR1000 equipped on it. i'm really heart broken with this edge 3 now.

anyway, thank you for your kindness and suggestions, all of you
this edge3 bridge.... well, what can i say.... everytime i raise the whammy bar and release it, the pitch goes higher, all the strings together. or i push it and release, the pitch goes lower together....
it just can't return to the point where the pitch was tuned correct after whammy bar was used.
it seems like this to me.
now i can see how valueable of some of your suggestion....
and i think i can understand the reason why some people said : if you decide you want an ibanez, go for premium or higher, never lower than that.
^ that sucks

probably even no lower than prestige if you want a trem. A few of the premiums have the high end trems, but not all.

(I haven't tried any premiums, just to clarify, I'm just going by the quality of the trem.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pumpkinhead666
Hey guys, i'm new here. i'm not sure if it's propriate to ask for advice with nothing in return.

It's not. We're all expecting beer for participating in this...
Quote by dspellman
It's not. We're all expecting beer for participating in this...

well, sure, if we meet i'll buy you a round