I want to run the MSDI XLR into a looper pedal, then into the mixer and PA. It's a 3 pin XLR, and I'll make the adapter to 1/4. Question is, how do I connect it? I've seen scematics that suggest pin#2 is the hot (tip of the 1/4 plug), and I need to short pins 1 and 3 and connect to the sleeve of the 1/4.

Is this correct?
Might be an obvious question, but why don't you run the looper in the effects loop?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
It's not obvious, thanks for asking.

I will be using Radial Tonebone VT to switch between two tube amp heads and using the same cab. If I put the looper in the FX loop of one amp, and accidentally have a loop playing when I switch to the other amp head, the amp will fry because it will be de facto with no speaker connected to it to take the load.
Sure, just checking, that makes perfect sense. And what about cables that have an XLR and a 1/4 jack? Why make an adapter yourself when you could buy a ready-to-go cable for five bucks?

I suck at electrical work, so I'm dodging the actual question here
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Another good question, to which I don't have an answer I guess I just love my soldering iron
That's a great answer let's hope that someone can help.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhri
Why make an adapter yourself when you could buy a ready-to-go cable for five bucks?
It's much cheaper to make your own cables if you want good quality stuff.

If you only want some cable to do stuff you don't care about the quality and reliability of, these cables you're talking about would do.

As for the wiring TS, there's no "suggesting", it's a standard.

Look up "xlr pinout" on google.
Pin 1 is the ground, pin 2 is hot and pin 3 is cold.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
It's much cheaper to make your own cables if you want good quality stuff.

Right, I've heard a lot of people say that DIY cables are much better in terms of price and quality, haven't tried it myself yet though.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail