Hey guys, if anyone could help me I'm trying to solder EMG HZ passive pickups on my explorer and I can't find a decent wiring diagram that shows each of the 4 wires from both pickups and how to connect to the selector switch (this seems to be connected to the master volume and then separately to each of the tone pots).

Any ideas or advice would be great.
Oh, dang. Yeah, the only diagrams EMG has on their website are for the new solderless system. The switch wires to the little circuit board they have, then out to the pups.
You can buy the wiring kit on Ebay. I did that for my explorer that used to have EMGs in it. You will be done wiring in 10 minutes.
Are the HZs any better these days? Last set I used were a tonal mess. Muddy as all get out and no punch at all.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
EMG wiring support just offering their top 10 harnesses or whatever that is commonly asked is monotonous and is just burning a massive hole in Rob Turners pocket considering the amount of emails the employees have to tackle. Don't bother with solderless gear either, it's super simple to wire in pickups. People could do an absolutely terrible job and still get them to work.

the solderless item of choice though I'd recommend to beginners which you'll still have to strip wires and all is the seymour duncan liberator system. It uses PCB screw in terminals and makes any pickup connect "solderlessly" I just feel sorry for the strat and ibanez guys with pickguards.

here's your color code of your pickup
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.humbucker_wiring_color_codes/

twist and solder the black and white wires together , use a bit of electric tape on the ends to prevent shorting (kills the signal)

red = hot lead (signal in) - so to the switches hot lead
green = ground (signal out) - so with the bare wire both to ground
you can also switch ONE pickups colors (green and red , keep bare to ground) and get out of phase
remember with electricity if signal enters , just like a room it needs to go out.

what kind of explorer do you have? here's my wiring site of choice , even though you're using EMG pickups this sites amazing for wirings , this is why I focused on the color codes first.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jul 21, 2015,
Thanks for the help guys. I've got a 1958 Korina Explorer. It's the toggle switch that I can't get head around. Most diagrams have a different amount of wires coming from the pickups. I'm pretty new to soldering as well. I can do it, it's more of the electronics side of it since that's the bit I don't know too well. The Seymour Duncan diagrams are pretty good however the bits that different a bit form the advice and diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w_1pp are....

The coloured wires are pretty straight forward but I have 5 in total. A red and yellow (I'm assuming theses are the signal in and out and that green is yellow on my pickups) Do all the other colours match up like that diagram?, I've got a black and white wire as well as a bare wire - is this like the diagram?

Really appreciate the help, thanks guys.m
with an EMG pickup you've got to compensate the 5 wires. EMG is great because their color code makes sense and is easy to remember.

with a 3 way toggle switch it's pretty straight forward

so the two center ones are called commons, they are what makes the toggle work. You need signal going in (hot lead) and you need signal going out (ground).

traditionally it's..
ground is the one by itself
the hot lead is the center between the two contacts
the outer two are your pickup selections which is why the toggle points to them
...easy right?

I wouldn't go two tone in a million years myself. Perhaps two volume as it's tedious to go out of our way to get resistors and all that at surplus stores to add a second kind of tone knob or whatever.

perhaps this? , you can add another push pull as well if you'd like to have the ability to split coils on either pickup instead of just both for more control. To do so remember that a push pull is just an on/on switch and think of it floating in space because regardless if you wireds up a push pull to a volume or tone you're wiring it the exact same way.