Hi I have a few gigs lined up pretty soon and was wondering on what the best pedals for Dinosaur Jr/My Bloody Valentine and maybe even Cocteau Twins type sound? I already own a Big Muff PI tone wicker and A Blackstar HT 40 amp but I'm unsure on which effects pedals to go for. I currently own an ME50 which is on its way out but is definitely not good enough for the task anyway. I guess I will need reverb and delay and maybe some chorus. Will I need a noise gate for this type of sound? Or a compressor? I was recommended to get a digitech digiverb but after reading some reviews I'm not so sure. I tried searching for various different pedals but there are so damn many and I'm not sure where to start.
Sorry if this post is a bit pants I am absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff.
well the mfx you have certainly can give you an idea of what you need sound wise. reverb and delay seem to be an intragal part of shoegaze so that seems like a good place to start. i'd think a better multi-fx unit may do you the most good
Quote by monwobobbo
well the mfx you have certainly can give you an idea of what you need sound wise. reverb and delay seem to be an intragal part of shoegaze so that seems like a good place to start. i'd think a better multi-fx unit may do you the most good

Thanks for the reply. The trouble is the multi effects is very limited, the reverb sounds awful and the knobs on my ME50 don't actually work properly, it only changes sound every couple of times i turn it so it loses a lot of sounds. I just watched this video and it sounds pretty damn good, I just don't know how it would sound with more gain and more wall of sound type style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRvHwsjQYY
what i meant was perhaps you need a new multifx unit that of course works and that is better than what you have. pedals are great but in your case a good mfx unit might be a better bet for the delays, reverbs and chorus (plus phaser and flanger is you want). dirt should be pedals though as most mfx dirt sounds like ass.

what is your budget? oh and it's not likely you'll really need a compressor and kinda iffy on a noise gate
The Flashback/x4/Triple Delay are great delay units. The Hall of Fame reverb is also top quality. I'm a big TC fanboi though

The tone print option also makes them totally customisable and the algorithms are some of the best around.

EDIT: if you get the flashback triple delay you can also have patches set up as modulation only, chorus, flange, vibrato, so you can technically have three separate effects in one box.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Jul 21, 2015,
A good reverb & delay are essential to the genre- don't skimp there. Some players will even stack multiples in their chain.

For the bands with an edgier sound, you'll need a decent distortion, OD and/or fuzz.

Beyond that, things like chorus, rotary, arpeggiators, ringers, etc. have been used by guitarists to flavor their tones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd suggest a Quadraverb (or something like it, I don't know anything bout rack fx beyond the Quadraverb). The fx sound much better, more musical, more oomph, than any mfx I've used (though I do love the ME50, sucks about the knobs cause imo that is the best sounding mfx for live playing in that range). It has a lush, beautiful sounding reverb, delays, flanger, etc. Plus you can use it for anything, guitar, bass, keys, even vocals.

Oh, and the Quadraverb is dirt cheap, despite its awesomeness.

Also, check out the Line 6 M series. I really dig those and may pick an M5 up just for those every once in awhile fx I crave, like phaser, flange, harmonizer, etc.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20