Hi all,

just wondering if this exists, or if every fx pedal does it lol. Basically, do multi-fx pedals like the zoom g3x, g5, line 6 pod hd500 etc. have the ability to switch between amp models with a tap of the footswitch?

I am looking at getting one of these for home / headphone use, and it would be nice one where I can switch between a super clean tone and a dirty dirty tone without having to use my hands, or use the distortion box sims on the unit.

Budget is up to €500, based in ireland, probably go with new, home use, pretty much all genres, so looking at these so I can get a nice mix between mesa, marshall, vintage, modern, fender tones without getting a million pedals.
They all should. You should be able to create pre sets and then switch from amp to amp with your pre sets that you design. The G5 is great for the price but if your willing to the high end boss multi effects or a pod hd 500 will have the best tone. Just look up some demos and pick your favorite
Last edited by samclayton19 at Jul 21, 2015,
pretty sure that most you'd have to set up a different patch to do what you want. it's not like channel swithcing on a regualr amp which seems to be kinda what you want. so while yes you can do what you want you'd have to set each patch for the fx etc as well.
You could switch between amps with the PODs for sure, don't know about the others.
I though reckon you'll be able to do that with whatever modeler you end up getting.

I'd get the pod for the sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Some smaller mfx allows amp change linearly only, means tap left or right pedal to switch the presets up and down.

To enable skipping from position 1 to 3 or higher, the bigger mfx allows you to assign each pedal for a preset I think. Usually those with multiple pedals allow you to do this.
Quote by irishman
Hi all,

just wondering if this exists, or if every fx pedal does it lol. Basically, do multi-fx pedals like the zoom g3x, g5, line 6 pod hd500 etc. have the ability to switch between amp models with a tap of the footswitch?

The Pod does. Probably the rest as well.

And you have user presets, so that you can set up completely different rigs (rig = amp sim, FX, cabinet sim, etc.). In a live setting, you can put together your user settings to mirror your set list. And you can save user presets to the computer and edit them as you need to.

But wait, there's more. On the Pods, you can set up dual rigs in a single preset, so you can have a wet and dry setup running together.

Oh, wait, there's still more. If you have a Pod "Live" (floor model) or a rack version, you can plug your Variax guitar into it via an ethernet cable. Variax guitars have both magnetic and piezo pickups, and the piezos lead to a suite of electronics within the guitar itself that offer guitar models (about 25 of them), such as strat, tele, LP, acoustic, 12-strings. In addition, you can change to alternate tunings (Baritone, Drop B, etc.) with a switch on the guitar. But if you're plugged into the Pod, you can include the guitar model and any alternate tuning in the preset, so you change *everything* with a single stomp.
The more switches, the more direct access to various features. You can't "just" change an amp model with a switch. You can frequently toggle an amp model on/off. To change amp models you usually need to switch presets/patches. A preset is all of the FX configured. So to switch amp models and nothing else you need to make two presets with all the same settings except the amp model. Gnerally you will find that you want to change more than the amp model. For example if you are using a distortion stomp in front of the amp, then you will likely change the gain and level on the distortion to match up with the desired amp.

Some multifx will have several presets available with the press of a switch. You can then switch which set of presets are on the swithes with a bank selection. If that's what you are looking for then look for a multifx with more switches. The G3 can have 3 presets on the switches at one time. When in the mode to use the preset switches you don't have the ability to switch on/off individual FX. You have to press and hold a switch to change modes.
Last edited by fly135 at Jul 22, 2015,