I like having my EADG strings intonated perfectly and my B and high E a bit sharp for more expressive sound when playing a solo. What about you guys? Do you always go for a perfect tone or you do it my way?
How a guitar set with bad intonation makes it more 'expressive' bewilders me. The more in tune a guitar is with itself, the better it sounds.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How a guitar set with bad intonation makes it more 'expressive' bewilders me. The more in tune a guitar is with itself, the better it sounds.

I see where you're coming from but I find that having sharper high notes works wonders for me for playing rock-n-roll that is.
I don't understand .. especially being sharp ..
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I have my intonation set exactly, because I have a good ear and bad intonation irritates me immensely.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Tony Done
There is a bit of wikiwisdom that says that having the pitch slightly sharp will make a solo instrument stand out from the accompaniment., so I can see where you are coming from with the intonation thing. I've never tried it myself.

seems better to just tune a hair higher if that was the case. intonation should be correct in my book
Quote by monwobobbo
seems better to just tune a hair higher if that was the case. intonation should be correct in my book

Agreed. My go-to intonation is as close as possible to perfect. If I ever had a guitar just for cowboy chords I might flatten the G and B to get the low frets in tune, but I don't so I don't.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Tony Done
There is a bit of wikiwisdom that says that having the pitch slightly sharp will make a solo instrument stand out from the accompaniment., so I can see where you are coming from with the intonation thing. I've never tried it myself.

as long as you never plan on doing harmonies with another guitarist.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Yeah, maybe you stand out, but only because you'll be out of tune with the rest of the band. Intonation should be perfect. If you think you need to be out of tune to stand out, you're obviously doing something wrong with your playing.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Intriguing. You're taught that everything's gotta be perfect. So I actually like this idea. Not sure I would be able to tell the difference but still. After all, it's imperfections that often give things their character.

Elsewhere folks trying to tab COB's new song Morrigan were having a hard time getting notes right, they couldn't figure what was going on. Perhaps COB is now also intonating "improperly" on purpose.
Quote by nitrousable
I like having my EADG strings intonated perfectly and my B and high E a bit sharp for more expressive sound when playing a solo. What about you guys? Do you always go for a perfect tone or you do it my way?

I set my intonation correctly.

I set my standard tuning on the money as well. This is especially true with the Variax guitars, since the actual tuning influences any of the alternate tunings the Variax produces from those.

The business about setting your top two strings a bit sharp is fairy dust, unicorn farts and internet hoohah.
Whats Intonation? Is that a new game? You guys sure you're in the right sub?
I use a Digitech Vocalist Harmonizer that is triggered by the chords I play on my guitar. If I am not in tune perfectly the vocal harmonies won't be either. If you are playing with other instruments like another guitar or keyboard I think that playing out of tune on purpose would be a problem. I spent so many years working in bands without a tuner (yes, there was a time)that I know very well what that mess sounds like. It's a sound I am not looking to go back to.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 22, 2015,
I use a Strobe tuner to set mine and it results in better sounding notes above the 12th fret.
Moving on.....
Seems like an odd way to make a solo stand out. Seems like a slight volume or gain boost would be sufficient, and be in tune.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

As long as the notes are within five cents at the twelfth fret I’m happy. Intonation is like fret buzz—life is a lot easier if you just learn to live with imperfection.
I've also heard of being ever so slightly sharp to make a solo instrument stand out over the group. I've tried it, it definitely has the effect, but it's certainly not the best way to achieve it. Just use a volume boost.

Also, if you ARE going to try doing the slightly sharp thing, don't do it through your intonation. Intonation should always be as close to perfect as you can get it. Making your guitar out of tune with itself is never a good idea, even if you're trying to be slightly out of tune from the other players in the room. If you want to go that route, just use a tuner with a pitch calibration option and set your A to 441hz, rather than 440.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Lol
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like my guitars to be as perfectly tuned as possible. Bad intonation just sounds bad.
I have nothing important to say