Poll: What do you think
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think
Stupid idea. Just release an album.
4 100%
Great idea!
0 0%
I've suggested something else in the comments.
0 0%
Voters: 4.
I'm thinking about self-producing and releasing a collection of the music I've made over the years, but I don't think a single album would work.
This is mainly because I write a lot of different genres.
Not in a metal, then heavy metal sense either - I'm talking punk, then folk, then some pop, to some prog metal, then back to ambient/alternative stuff.

I think that putting that much variety on an album would just put people off. I know it would for me.

Because of that, I thought it might be better to release 4 individual EPs, each with 3-5 tracks and each with a different style. The reason is that if someone decides "Hmm, I don't like punk much", they can have a look at the Alt rock EP and they might find something more their taste.

What do you think? Too ambitious? Too stupid? Good idea? Let me know.
There's a poll at the top for purposes.
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Jul 21, 2015,
The idea of making music that the public will like without having any data of what they will actually like is a bad idea - you'll most likely not produce anything successful.

Make what YOU like and if the quality's good enough somebody will like it, but if the main idea is being liked by other people you'll not have fun, you'll make less than average stuff and nobody will like you.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
The idea of making music that the public will like without having any data of what they will actually like is a bad idea - you'll most likely not produce anything successful.

Make what YOU like and if the quality's good enough somebody will like it, but if the main idea is being liked by other people you'll not have fun, you'll make less than average stuff and nobody will like you.

I completely agree.
The main reason I'd quite like to try this is that I already have 11 songs recorded, but I just don't think they'd go together well on an album.
Thing is, there's such a large amount of genre diversity that I just don't like the way it flows track to track.
I get the impression an album wouldn't work because of that.
I could group them by their feel, but at that point, I may as well split it up like my original idea.

Maybe if I JUST released a few separate EPs each confined to a single style?
how many physical copies are you thinking of printing? Because one print job of 300 copies of the same album will be much less expensive than 6 EPs printed 50 times each, even if the total amount of cds is the same.

When you do shows, is there a huge variety in crowd reaction depending on the songs you play?

I don't mind variety in an album so if your fans like your shows, you could probably pull off SOME variety on an album
Tons of bands have done that. A great example is Bishop Allen who did an EP per month, titled after each month.

More similar to your situation would be The Dear Hunter and their colors (colours?) series.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by flexiblemile
how many physical copies are you thinking of printing? Because one print job of 300 copies of the same album will be much less expensive than 6 EPs printed 50 times each, even if the total amount of cds is the same.

To be honest, probably none. I was more likely just going to go fully digital through Tunecore and Bandcamp. This is mainly just so I have a few tracks out there that people can download and hopefully enjoy. If there's enough interest, I might do a CD run, but It's probably highly unlikely.

When you do shows, is there a huge variety in crowd reaction depending on the songs you play?

I actually don't do shows at all at the moment. I mush prefer the production/recording/mixing side of things.

I don't mind variety in an album so if your fans like your shows, you could probably pull off SOME variety on an album

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. Don't get me wrong, I love variety - I just think that having a jazzy swing song in between two hardcore punk tracks is a bit unusual :P

Quote by Sid McCall
Tons of bands have done that. A great example is Bishop Allen who did an EP per month, titled after each month.

More similar to your situation would be The Dear Hunter and their colors (colours?) series.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, though more inspired by Devin Townsend's 4 album quadrilogy, just considerably shorter and less good
in that case, whichever you feel like doing is the best answer. If you're doing a bunch of EPs, you can build up hype over the whole release period on your facebook band page and even work up a concept binding them together. If you do just one big album you can build it up into a bigger deal.