I'm really into learning how specific guitarist do things for learning new genres. I'm trying to get into some hard rock rhythm playing g after doing the blues thing for a while. What songs/guitarist are good for learning some really tight hard rock rhythm. And preferably I'd like to start a bit simpler. I'm not that great of a player yet. Thanks.
For rhythm I'll immediately suggest Malcolm Young of AC/DC, some of the songs are really easy, some are harder but he's really tight.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Eddie Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt - Extreme, Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple, Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath, James Hetfield - Metallica, also anything by Lynyrd Skynyd and anything by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It`s always a good idea to start with the classic 70`s hard rock stuff as it`s a little easier. Players such as:

Jimmy Page
Angus/Malcolm Young
KK Downing/Glenn Tipton
Ritchie Blackmore
Tony Iommi

And for more modern stuff which can be a little trickier there are:

Tom Morello
James Hetfield
Slash
Zacky Vengeance/Synyster Gates (AX7)
Brad Delson (Linkin Park)
Adam Jones (Tool)

There are plenty. All of those play some real tight killer riff based music which aren`t overly difficult to learn.
Get a free copy of my eBook at Guitar Domination

If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can happen through music.
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by steven seagull
Eddie Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt - Extreme

+1

(the other ones too that everyone has been saying, but I came in specifically to say those two )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hard Rock guitarists will commonly apply a number of phrasing concepts, (hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, bends), alongside of busy single-note scale phrases and interesting harmony. To demonstrate some of this, I've composed a short example below of a fairly typical sounding Hard Rock rhythm guitar part, (i.e., verse, bridge or chorus riff), that applies a number of these concepts.
I agree with going back to basics. If you want to learn how to play rhythm guitar I suggest Creedence. They're songs are not difficult chord wise and you can hear a really strong rhythm guitar on every song that follows the bass and drums perfectly. It also forces you to play clean so you can hear everything clearly.

For more hard rock I'd recommend The Who. Pete Townsends power chords are legendary and they usually are full six string chords not adapted three note power chords. Try "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "baba O'Riely" (Teenage Wasteland). Judas Priest (my personal all time favorite metal band) and A/C D/C were also good choices. Very strong, very defined rhythm.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 30, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

(the other ones too that everyone has been saying, but I came in specifically to say those two )

That's because you're up Eddie Van Halen's bum
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Check out Pete Townshend from The Who. He knows the shit out of chord theory and you can learn a lot from the Tommy album
Quote by steven seagull
That's because you're up Eddie Van Halen's bum

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
many good ones mentioned (although i never thought of ritchie blackmore as a shining example of a rhythm player)

i'll add Rudolph Schenker from the Scorpions and his brother Michael is certainly no slouch (check his stuff with UFO) . for one of the greatest look no further than Keith Richards as he (along with pete townsend) is the king)
I know you said you needed someone a bit easier to copy but I really recommend you learn James Hetfield. It's amazing to me how no one talks about how great of a rhythm player he is. Not only is he clean, he sings on top of it. Dave Mustaine is also a fantastic rhythm player. I'd recommend looking at Malcolm Young of ACDC, KK Downing of Judas Priest, and especially Izzy Stradlin of Guns N Roses.
Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge, Slash and others) is very well-rounded and would be excellent to study, IMO.
Is Mayones an instrument?

Gear
Ibanez RG8
Gibson LPJ
LTD MH-401
Epiphone G-400 Goth
Yamaha F310 (Who doesn't own one of these?)

Fender Super Champ XD
Orange Micro Terror
Was going to mention Nuno Bettencourt, but i see that work is already done.

You should check out Paul Gilbert (His work with Mr. Big that is, incredible riffs) and Richie Kotzen (Solo, Winery Dogs, Mr. Big). Incredible rock guitar playing, those three are probably my favorite rock players.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
you did say your that not of a "great" player yet, and that your looking for a hard rock guy... i was the same and i turned to my lord and savoir... jimmy page. he has it all, hard rock, blues, classic rock, blues rock, some really nice ballad song (no quarter live is just incredible) it seems simple to understand his style. but after looking into it you realize its a complex web of knowledge to learn. i would highly recommend him
Quote by Johnsonr520
. And preferably I'd like to start a bit simpler. I'm not that great of a player yet. Thanks.

And people suggest Nuno Bettencourt and Paul Gilbert! LOL

I'd personally suggest Paul Kossoff (Free), Tony Iomi (Black Sabbath) and as people have already said Malcom Young (AC DC) All these players produced monster riffs that aren't too difficult to play.

I''d also suggest checking out some Thin Lizzy tunes (The boys are back in town and Jailbreak to name a few). They're known more for the twin lead guitar but they have some really solid rythms behind them that will help you get a feel for the genre.
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
Quote by Matriani
And people suggest Nuno Bettencourt and Paul Gilbert! LOL

Good point
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?