Hi,
I'm looking for a new amp head to compensate from the lack of gain control on my old Traynor valve amp, which does a cool clean sound but really lacks that crunchy and fuzzy sound for old classic rock songs.

So, do you have any suggestion? Keep in mind that I don't really care if your suggestion don't do clean sounds very well because I could just keep using the old amp if I need to accomplish that sound.

Guitar: Fender Classic Player - Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck and DP100 in the bridge
tube amp or solid state?
budget?
what sound are you going for? or are there any particular bands you're trying to emulate?
location?
combo amp or amp head w/ cab?
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Quote by jon_six
tube amp or solid state?
budget?
what sound are you going for? or are there any particular bands you're trying to emulate?
location?
combo amp or amp head w/ cab?

Tube amp preferably.
Budget around 600-700 bucks. Could go higher if really needed.
Mostly playing Guns N' Roses, Foo Fighters and Muse.
Jamming in a garage with a bassist only. Don't need a lot of power.
Only need an amp head. Already have a cab.
Last edited by bananagab at Jul 22, 2015,
Quote by korinaflyingv
I say this in literally every thread I go in but Laney AOR. Cheap and ****ing amazing.

Seems to be discontinued. But it does sound amazing.
Quote by korinaflyingv
yeah that's why they're cheap. also have you considered just using a pedal with your traynor? joyo ultimate drive is v cheap and good

I will keep an eye out to find one but they might be pretty hard to find used in Canada.
I already tried to use a Ibanez TS9. It was still too much clean for my liking. It really didn't add any ''lead guitar'' effect like the classic Marshall sound would.
An amp in a box type pedal might work. The Wampler or Carl Martin Pleci pedals are pretty good marshall sounds.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
An amp in a box type pedal might work. The Wampler or Carl Martin Pleci pedals are pretty good marshall sounds.

That might do the trick. I didn't even know these pedals existed! Thanks!
Quote by GABarrie

Ya good shout. Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret is awesome too.

Quote by bananagab
I will keep an eye out to find one but they might be pretty hard to find used in Canada.
I already tried to use a Ibanez TS9. It was still too much clean for my liking. It really didn't add any ''lead guitar'' effect like the classic Marshall sound would.

Yeah tubescreamers aren't really meant as a standalone distortion, more for boosting an already overdriven amp. The Joyo I recommended has a nice amount of distortion, pretty Marshallesque sound but more generic. Would definitely take a Catalinbread DLS over it but the price difference is pretty phenomenal.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jul 22, 2015,
For the amount of cash you're looking to spend, you should just take a road trip down my way across the border into NH and buy my Peavey Ultra 112. 60 watts, three channels, and half of what you're looking to spend, can run alone or push a cab. Plenty of gain - gain for days actually.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
marshall dsl would be kool.

best bet would be to just get a high quality OD pedal. that way you can keep your nice cleans on tap while playing in the garage.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
I may be able to grab a used Tiny Terror for $300, which is only about $80 more than one of those amp in a box pedals like the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret.
Check out the Orange Dark Terror. it's wesome
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Check out the Orange Dark Terror. it's awesome

I don't need that much gain. But it does sound awesome.