Hi i was looking at a used Marshall Master Lead from 1978. i know its a solid state and i was wondering if it would be better than the solid states from today...and how does it compare to a fender mustang III because thats the amp i was gonna buy.
Quote by adelino316
Hi i was looking at a used Marshall Master Lead from 1978. i know its a solid state and i was wondering if it would be better than the solid states from today...and how does it compare to a fender mustang III because thats the amp i was gonna buy.

The mustang is a better amp out of those 2, but not my first choice at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nothing special.

I'd rather follow the directions in this post if you want advice about a new amp to get - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by adelino316
what would be your first choice then?

answer these questions

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Marshall MOSFET 100 kicks ass man, check that one out. Here you will fin lots of biased and "general consensus" information. Or better, go an play them.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I had a master lead back in the early 90's. A few weeks after I got it, i yanked the celestian and put it in my crate, that made a nice little amp. The master lead was way too dry for my taste at that time. That said, if it is budget friendly for you, and you have a nice chorus or delay to throw at it, might be good for your needs. Looks like it survived from 1978 right.
Quote by Perverockstar69
The Marshall MOSFET 100 kicks ass man, check that one out. Here you will fin lots of biased and "general consensus" information. Or better, go an play them.

Biased, hell yeah.
I gigged with one of these in the early - mid 80's for several years and for a SS amp, it kicked ass.
I often got compliments on my tone.
Had 2 4x10 cabs with it.
Would definitely buy again in a heartbeat.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 6, 2015,