Proposal:

8-7 11-7 8-11: All legato instead of picking the last 8 11 there just seriously is not time...What's more this run is covered in wah too, surely it can be hidden?

12 slide 14 with the pinky

11h12h14h15: once again substituting picked notes for legato in the interest of being somewhat closer speed wise?

I can't find a way to destroy down the rest of the solo to my hack abilities but as soon as I pick a note the solo is literally over

I really want to find a way to play it. Atm it's destroying my enjoyment of guitar the feelings of failure and inadequacy I need to just enjoy some stuff too.
You can do whatever you want with music (within reason) as long as you're not in an orchestra or a really strict cover band. When learning songs though, cutting corners is never a good idea since you are missing out on the technical development that comes with it. In the long run it's better for you to just play the song the way it is.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yeah, there really isn't anything stopping you from doing it at all, but being aware of the affects that's going to have is important.

Most importantly: it won't sound the same as the original. Missing the pick attack will be noticeable to someone who knows the solo.

And as Theogonia said, you're missing out on developing your abilities beyond where they are now if you don't practice it until you can do it.

That said... if you have a gig or some other reason you need to play it soon and that's going to get you there, then I say go for it; you can always work on getting it down the original way at another time when you're not under pressure to learn it quickly. That's been my way of doing things for a good while now if there's some time pressure going on, because the most important thing is getting the notes in the right place; you can work on making it sound 100% perfect when there's more time to do so.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 22, 2015,
Thanks for the advice guys but what am I missing out? Basically losing the ability to pick one note in a really fast legato run...hmm it will probably be years before I get this down anyway, maybe I should just pick it.
Honestly in the long run it's probably better if you just practice it the way it is.

If you want to learn the song in a short amount of time for a performance or something, and you can play the whole thing bar one or two small bits then go ahead and change them but if you aren't rushed for time you should play everything correctly.
Well, if you wana take the easy way out, there's a "radio edit" version with only the ending part of the solo.

I asume most people heard this version... I personnaly feel incomplete, unsatisfied when I hear this version, but if you don't wana learn it... that's one way to chicken your way out of the real solo!
Lol it's something I am going to have to practice for years...It just doesn't improve much for me and it sucks alot of time too. Trying to not let it ruin my advancement in other areas and my mindset.
you should be able to play anything you say you can play with any technique that you can imagine would be plausible in that setting

then you should be able to decide which is the most fitting in context and execute it properly

anything less is failure

ARE YOU A FAILURE, BOY

DO YOU LIKE TO LOOOOOOOSE?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
Lol it's something I am going to have to practice for years...It just doesn't improve much for me and it sucks alot of time too. Trying to not let it ruin my advancement in other areas and my mindset.

Well, yeah. What a lot of new players ignore is that they are often trying to learn stuff that was written and recorded by guys with years and years of experience. A lots of the most popular rock guitar songs to learn were crafted by players with years of playing under their belt. Slash starting playing at 14 and was 21 at the time that album came out, which is 7 years of playing.

And that's someone that is considered to be an "exceptional" player.

One of the realities of playing music is that it will often take years for you to be able to become skilled enough to do many of the things that you want to be able to do.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by MyOceanToSwim

Honestly if you are practicing properly (relaxed, small motions etc... just read the stickies and search around for some good threads) then it won't take you anywhere near years to get any Slash solo down. Just keep practicing and don't try to force anything and you'll improve faster than you think.
Quote by Anon17
Honestly if you are practicing properly (relaxed, small motions etc... just read the stickies and search around for some good threads) then it won't take you anywhere near years to get any Slash solo down. Just keep practicing and don't try to force anything and you'll improve faster than you think.

Is practicing properly basically practicing really slow and with minimal movement. or is it just memorising and learning things. I usually learn things a touch under speed and repetition brings it up to speed.

There's problems everywhere the picked 8-11 is nowhere near fast fast as the 8p11 I don't know how to practice this as my hand doesn't move near fast enough everytime
I would say that 'practicing properly' is locking yourself away from ALL distractions and analysing everything you do in detail and doing it at the speed in which you can do it perfectly or get up to perfect soon (pushing yourself). You will also need to know what you should be analysing to get the benefit (sorry for being Mr Obvious there).
Basically, you have to slow the speed so that's it's "perfect", the speed will come by itself.

You have to get the "muscle memory" also. You can't be playing a solo while trying to remember what's next... It has to come naturally.

And all the small details will count when you are up to speed, like the place to pick the note or to let it "legato", when to switch strings, down vs. upstroke, etc.
It's your interpretation of the song so make the solo your own and ignore the Slash version completely. Who knows, yours might be better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Unless you do everything different (like playing on an accoustic), people will be tempted to think you just screwed it...

Learn it for real or play something else...
Quote by Cajundaddy
It's your interpretation of the song so make the solo your own and ignore the Slash version completely. Who knows, yours might be better.

Really depends why TS is learning it. If it's for a cover in a band (or for youtube) then people will be expecting to hear the original solo; you can get away with doing things like not picking everything the same way but the notes will need to be the same. I'd also say that if they're learning it to improve their technique then one should be even more restrictive; learning it any way other than the complete original pretty much invalidates the point of doing it, not to say that it wouldn't be worth it to learn otherwise, but to get the most out of it they should learn it 100% authentically.

If they're just learning it to play in their bedroom though, then whatever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
just to expand upon the idea of cutting corners at a gig: if you don't have it down to a T, you're gonna mess it up in some way. even if you have it down, you'll probably mess it up. if you don't have much experience, playing live is a shock to the system and you'll probably biff. being able to do things "properly" is a double measure between self-improvement and mitigation of embarrassment when you go to perform

not that i imagine that's what TS is after, but it's something to mention
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I am still continuing to practice this and have got it down to a degree..I don't know what stage it's at...still to slow and with some inaccuracy.

The only thing I've changed is:

-14s15-12-14-15p14-12----14p11-12h14p12----17-------||
|----------------------15----------------15----15b17-|
|----------------------------------------------------|
|

15p1412

is

15p14p12

Just not time, with the wah on and the realistic fact I may never get it I am prepared to grant myself this concession.

I am also hoping if I can comfortable with this little modification I might able to do it properly in more time...but for now this little change.