Want some headphones for recording but don't want to break the bank. Want recommendations from people who are happy with what they found on the cheap. Not looking to go over $100.
I can vouch for my AKG K-240 MKII headphones, they're a bit over 100 bucks but only a bit, and they're pretty cool. I'm wearing them right now as I type, they're comfy and have full and clean sound. You could always check out their little brother, the AKG K-240 (non-MKII). Audio Technica also makes some nice headphones for the cheaps, but I wouldn't recommend going too much under 100$ if you want a functional set of studio headphones.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I'm checking out Amazon right now. The ATH-M30's are about $70. Also looking at the Sony MDR7506, which Amazon Warehouse has "used" for $62. They have both AKG K-240's MKII and non MKII on Amazon as well.
Quote by Random3
Audio Technica ATH-M50s are fantastic and they wouldn't cost much more than that.

They also do ATH-M30s which are cheaper however I have never used them so I couldn't comment on the difference in quality.

I need to chime in because these are recommended left and right - they sound okay, hardly flat, but there is a serious flaw - my click leaks through at any volume. It's made for some really miserable recording sessions. Make sure to test any headphones for click bleed while you can still return them!

edit: for context, that is only with sensitive condenser mics when doing acoustic, vocals, or drums.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If you want open back, AKG K240 mkII
If you want closed back, ATH-M50 or M50x
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Sony makes consistenly good headphones in all price ranges. Also sennhieser is pretty good but you can't cheap out. The cheaper ones suck so don't spend under $65 for those.
Quote by Norgz94
Sony makes consistenly good headphones in all price ranges. Also sennhieser is pretty good but you can't cheap out. The cheaper ones suck so don't spend under $65 for those.

Counterpoint: my personal experience has been the exact opposite. Swap sony and sennheiser and that's how I've found things to be.

I'm just a regular contrarian today, huh?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Counterpoint: my personal experience has been the exact opposite. Swap sony and sennheiser and that's how I've found things to be.

I'm just a regular contrarian today, huh?

I agree with you, I have nothing bad to say about Sennheiser but I'd probably never buy a Sony product. And really, if you spend less than 65$ on any headphones don't expect much. I have my reservations about recommending anything below 200$, even though I own a pair myself. Studio equipment isn't cheap. (this wasn't aimed directly at you, I believe that you know your way around this already)
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I use the Sony Playstation headphones.
they are pretty good and have a built in mic
they were $100 brand new, bought them for gaming but they work for anything
Quote by EyeNon15
I use the Sony Playstation headphones.
they are pretty good and have a built in mic
they were $100 brand new, bought them for gaming but they work for anything

While this might not be a horrendously awful idea if the OP has a Playstation, it most certainly is if he doesn't. No reason to get a Playstation headset for recording if you don't have a playstation, there are cheaper options that will most definitely be better.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
There's no price mark up
it doesn't cost extra just because they have a playstation logo
They are competitive IMO with anything in their price range
Well the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO comes in at pretty much $100. Any thoughts on that? I'd have to scrape up a lot more cash to get to the Beyer D770 at $230.

Just saw on my local CL that someone has like new ATH-M40x phones for $60.