Preferably metal or hard rock

I went on a 10 year break from guitar and just played banjo.
Now I'm back on guitar full time.

When last I played guitar, doing 80s Kirk Hammett solos was still impressive to the average guitar player, seems these days thats just standard stuff.

I'm out of the loop on what passes for good show off material now!! Help me impress my friends and other guitarists!!!
Completely depends on the crowd you're playing to. I mean, I know some people (mainly non-guitarists) for whom EVH style tapping is still mindblowing because it's not in the popular consciousness as a thing that happens on guitar. Then there's the guitarists who are really impressed by chops, so looking in to the old Shrapnel artists is still going to work. Then there's the kind of people who've spent more than enough time listening to that and have moved to listening to fusion guitarists who are still playing fast but the ideas are more complicated, so for them you'd need to look in to Greg Howe, Frank Gambale, Guthrie Govan, Brett Garsed, and others like them. THEN there's the kind of people who are in to modern acoustic styles, so look in to Jon Gomm, Andy McKee, Antoine Dufor, and the father of the style Michael Hedges. THEEEEEEEN you've got people who are in to older styled Gypsy Jazz, so that's people like Bireli Lagrene, Joscho Stephan, Stochelo Rosenberg, Angelo Debarre, and Django Reinhardt. Then there's people who just want to hear some simple chords and a nice vocal melody... so take your pick with that one.

I guess what I'm trying to say is two fold:

1 - Know your audience.
2 - Playing to impress other people is almost impossible. Try to play something that you want to hear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Honestly? If you've been on a ten year break, it's unlikely you'll be able to impress people (especially guitarists) without serious practice. If a guitarist was trying to impress me, it'd have to be something along the lines of;

Born of Osiris - XIV (The sweeping section)
Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy solo
Symphony X - Sea Of Lies tapping section

But, of course there are still people who'd insist on that being noise. I'm gonna be controversial, there is nothing wrong with wanting to impress. I love impressing people, because before I played guitar, I loved to be impressed. Guitarists like Hendrix, Slash, etc do nothing for me, give me Dream Theater, Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica any day. If you want to be that kind of guitarist, I'd recommend making sure it's technical and clean as opposed to 'fast'. Of course, for some audiences, you will have to sloppily smash through pentatonic scales as EVH once did to impress, but amongst guitarists, and people who listen to modern music, nothing beats something that sounds good and is hard to play, because a guitar piece can still be melodic while being difficult to play. In that respect, I'd argue that we're in the golden age of guitar playing, as senseless flailing has gone completely out of fashion, and it's now about making your guitar sound good while you're playing well.
I didn't literally stop for 10 years I just stopped focusing on guitar and didn't practice daily.

I've been practicing daily for a month or so, I'm not exactly in old form but I'm not far.
playing banjo all this time has kept my hand strength and timing pretty good.

I'm not trying to impress guitar gods here, just friends and occasional jam sessions.

Just really looking for recent metal or hard rock songs that require a high skill level to do. I'm gonna check out what's been suggested so far
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 22, 2015,
Play some Gary Moore.

Of course, for some audiences, you will have to sloppily smash through pentatonic scales as EVH once did to impress, but amongst guitarists, and people who listen to modern music, nothing beats something that sounds good and is hard to play, because a guitar piece can still be melodic while being difficult to play.

Yup, you definitelly need to play some Gary Moore. And Gilmour.
Last edited by GameSkate at Jul 22, 2015,
Try to impress yourself before you try to impress others. Play songs you like.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
buckethead - soothsayer.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
why do you need to impress anybody? imo just find what you like and play it like you mean it.

fwiw,
-try not to sound like you're reciting some tab book.
-dial in a good sound. so many people blow this one.
-study tony iommi. yes tony iommi. not really a shredder, doesn't jump around much, not a entertainer. but he doesn't have to because he plays with so much power and command that he doesn't need to impress anyone. think about it. there are others like him for sure but he was a quick example.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 22, 2015,
Quote by EyeNon15
I already know most all the songs I like
I'm looking for new stuff

So what do you like? Maybe we can help you find something new to listen to and learn, that might also be impressive as a side-effect.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The usual suspects of classic metal/hard rock of 70s/80s/90s era
Pantera, Metallica, Sabbath, Skynyrd, The Sword, Deftones, Venom etc etc
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 22, 2015,
Quote by Iwalkalone11
JORDAN by Buckethead. Extreme level!

Yikes that guy is superfast
Quote by GameSkate
Play some Gary Moore.

Yup, you definitelly need to play some Gary Moore. And Gilmour.

I'll concede, both are good guitarists, wrote some iconic stuff, just not particularly to my taste :P
First, guitar is not a competition. You don't need to play to impress anyone. Push the limits of your ability because you want to do it for yourself, not to show other what you can do. If you were auditioning for a band, then I'd say yeah go nuts, but that's neither here nor there.

Second, we're going to need a bit of info about what you can currently play in order for us to give you songs within your ability.

Third, if you want something ridiculous, play the arpeggios from Dream Theater's The Glass Prison the way that Petrucci plays them (all alternate picking, no sweeps).

https://youtu.be/B2ImxfctL4M?t=2m20s
Arpeggios start at about 2:20

If you want something a bit more attainable but still impressive, and a lot of fun to play, how about I'm Alright by Niel Zaza?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QadSVWXF_ks

Or something easier like No More Tears or Bark at the Moon by Ozzy. I won't both posting videos of those since you're probably familiar with them based on your interests.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
There are loads of bands that have vast catalogues of technical music you can choose from, whether it be Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Dream Theater or others, but here are some that stand out to me:

Periphery - Racecar (especially the Jeff Loomis Solo)
Periphery - Zyglrox
Animals as Leaders - CAFO
Animals as Leaders - Wave of Babies
Ne Obliviscaris - And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope

I can't play any of those so good luck!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Jerry's Breakdown is impressive and sounds great solo acoustic. A lot of Chet Atkins tunes such as his cut of Tiger Rag are great too. People also love that acoustic percussive fingerstyle tapping Candyrat Records stuff so any of that is great. Technical-brutal death metal with tons of fast sweeps like Brain Drill and Origin is great but obviously is more distorted electric than solo acoustic. The clichéd shred heroes like Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan are great. Scarified is a great Racer X tune that a lot of shred people know. Orange Blossom Special is /the/ bluegrass fiddle tune (but since you play banjo you should obviously know that), but it's lovely on guitar as well. Chetan Atkins again does it real nice, as do the Hellacasters. Doc Watson also does a lot of cool fiddle tunes like Black Mountain Rag and Beaumont Rag. And the modern Nashville guys like Brent Mason and Brad Paisley are also always great.

Those are of course all difficult, but shouldn't be a problem for you since you said that you can play just about anything.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I play bluegrass and old time folk music. Everything post-war is modern.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm folked out at the moment been doing dock boggs shit for a while. I'm looking for more metal hard rock stuff but thnx for the suggestions