Page 1 of 2
I've decided to get my GED and I'll be scheduling the appointment within the next two weeks (once I know I can pay the fee).

The part I could use advice on: I haven't been to high school in nearly half a decade, so I've probably lost a lot of whatever it is kids are learning these days. Short of actually paying for study materials, what free resources do I have to prepare?

More importantly, how do I prepare? The test subjects have such a wide-range I'd have to spend an equivalent of 10 years learning them sufficiently to pass a test (second time's the charm). I've been answering sample tests the entire day and they're suspiciously easy*.

Second part I could use advice on: does a GED actually mean anything? Can it hinder me in any way? How will it help? Is it worth $250 and the resulting pains of both the money and test stress? In other words, is this a good decision or is it absolutely meaningless?

*My weakness: Mathematical Reasoning. I've actually aced the others on the sample tests, it's this one I got like 40% on and completed only halfway through out of frustration.
Quote by Dreadnought
Hey bud, you can use Khan Academy as a good start to go over a lot of basic topics that will probably be covered in the exam.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

There's also Coursera

https://www.coursera.org/

I don't know if it's just Chemistry but so far Khan Academy has been utter shit when it comes to covering topics. They cover the same basics that we learn in high school, completely useless for uni.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I don't know if it's just Chemistry but so far Khan Academy has been utter shit when it comes to covering topics. They cover the same basics that we learn in high school, completely useless for uni.

GED is high school equivalency.
My God, it's full of stars!
That's exactly what I'm looking for though, a really good brush-up on HS Science/Math.

Quote by Dreadnought
Hey bud, you can use Khan Academy as a good start to go over a lot of basic topics that will probably be covered in the exam.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

There's also Coursera

https://www.coursera.org/

Khan Academy is great, man. Thank you.

I'm already doing a bunch of stuff on Coursera — mostly to do with art and humanities, nothing that would actually help me haha.
A GED would give you more job opportunities, I don't see why it wouldn't be worth it.
Good luck man.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
They cover the same basics that we learn in high school, completely useless for uni.

eastern europeans
Quote by Dreadnought
GED is high school equivalency.

oh. makes sense then

Quote by Eastwinn
eastern europeans

best europeans

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
oh. makes sense then

best europeans

Yea, they made a country for all the slovenly ones to live in.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
maybe jam's just excessively casual
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Eastwinn
yeah probably tbh

nah srs tho nordics are master race

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yea, they made a country for all the slovenly ones to live in.

i just learned a new word

are you calling me slutty or dirty?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
also i'm watching their vids right now and it's reminding me how grateful i should be for my highschool chemistry teacher not giving a damn about standard curriculum

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
pick topsy-turvy
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
loose & careless

My favourite type of girl.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
edit:
also disorderly

I would also have accepted tacky.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jul 22, 2015,

sorry for derailing your thread op, carry on

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
*My weakness: Mathematical Reasoning. I've actually aced the others on the sample tests, it's this one I got like 40% on and completed only halfway through out of frustration.

i don't know what 'mathematical reasoning' is supposed to be, can you link me to a sample test?
Quote by Eastwinn
i don't know what 'mathematical reasoning' is supposed to be, can you link me to a sample test?

I'm not sure I know either, but it's what Pearson calls it. Go to the below link and uncheck everything other than the math bit

http://www.4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=38

I'm doing basic arithmetic and it's kicking my ass I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR LIFE
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 22, 2015,
It's mostly an American and Canadian thing. Most countries (to my knowledge) accept it as an equivalent to high school diplomas. More importantly, the US does, so who really cares?
Pretty much. I'm also tinkering with the idea of taking the SAT, but it seems like overkill since the colleges I'll be applying to are to Ivy League what eating food off the floor is to a significant spiritual accomplishment.
Is a film thread diploma not enough for you or somethin?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Pretty much. I'm also tinkering with the idea of taking the SAT, but it seems like overkill since the colleges I'll be applying to are to Ivy League what eating food off the floor is to a significant spiritual accomplishment.

Haha. Whereabouts?

The college I went to accepted GED people so you shouldn't have to worry.
I thought you lived in Syria? Also how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

if you were/are coming to America, you should know that a GED is not necessary to get a job. Unless you plan on working something higher up, but even then employers take experience over papers any day. I have a 2-year college degree and am working on my Bachelor's and I have just as much luck finding a job as someone straight out of high school just some perspective for you since I know it costs a lot of money
pinga
If that test is accurate, then the maths part is just percentages, fractions, geometry, some cartesian plane stuff and contextual problem solving.

Make sure u're good with geometry, circles, squares TRIANGLES (triangles are always shoving their 3-sided selves into everything), their properties (how to calculate the circumference/area of a circle/area of triangles) shit like that.

There was some stuff about parallel lines/angles, which this may help with,
https://grantgeometry.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/write-up-of-all-angle-rules.pdf

I'm sure u can find better sources

Also, are u allowed to use a calculator or do u have to do it in ur head/paper?

Anyway, with alot of those problems half the battle is figuring out wtf the question is asking. read it carefully and don't panic the first time u skim it and u can't make sense of it.

also +1 to khan academy, youtube may be helpful. I'd recommend staying away from wikipedia as half the time it introduces concepts that just confuse u or are not needed. Also see if you can find information from people who've taken the test b4.

as to how to study, just google the problems u come upon in the test. Read the explanations for ones u get wrong and then study the concepts behind it. Ur already getting 40% a pass is not that far away. anyway good luck mate
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Quote by Cb4rabid
I thought you lived in Syria? Also how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

if you were/are coming to America, you should know that a GED is not necessary to get a job. Unless you plan on working something higher up, but even then employers take experience over papers any day. I have a 2-year college degree and am working on my Bachelor's and I have just as much luck finding a job as someone straight out of high school just some perspective for you since I know it costs a lot of money

I don't mind. I've been working in Dubai for a couple years now. I'm 19, dropped out of high school four years ago. So this is less about employment and more about college and creating more opportunities by relocating.

Quote by steve_muse
Is a film thread diploma not enough for you or somethin?

You know I like you guys, but you have to stop calling buttery ticket stubs "diplomas".

Quote by bradulator
Haha. Whereabouts?

The college I went to accepted GED people so you shouldn't have to worry.

LA most likely. I'll be applying to community colleges, so I'm definitely not worried about qualifying I just need the HS equivalency.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm not sure I know either, but it's what Pearson calls it. Go to the below link and uncheck everything other than the math bit

http://www.4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=38

I'm doing basic arithmetic and it's kicking my ass I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR LIFE

Did that Mathematical reasoning exam to see how bad I've become, seeing as I haven't done any form of mathematics in about 4 years. Got 78% but dear lawd I've no idea how to workout the area of a triangle. Don't even care that I tried counting the squares, no shame. nope.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Gatecrasher53
If that test is accurate, then the maths part is just percentages, fractions, geometry, some cartesian plane stuff and contextual problem solving.

Make sure u're good with geometry, circles, squares TRIANGLES (triangles are always shoving their 3-sided selves into everything), their properties (how to calculate the circumference/area of a circle/area of triangles) shit like that.

There was some stuff about parallel lines/angles, which this may help with,
https://grantgeometry.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/write-up-of-all-angle-rules.pdf

I'm sure u can find better sources

Also, are u allowed to use a calculator or do u have to do it in ur head/paper?

Anyway, with alot of those problems half the battle is figuring out wtf the question is asking. read it carefully and don't panic the first time u skim it and u can't make sense of it.

also +1 to khan academy, youtube may be helpful. I'd recommend staying away from wikipedia as half the time it introduces concepts that just confuse u or are not needed. Also see if you can find information from people who've taken the test b4.

as to how to study, just google the problems u come upon in the test. Read the explanations for ones u get wrong and then study the concepts behind it. Ur already getting 40% a pass is not that far away. anyway good luck mate

Thanks for this. Yeah, geometry is what I struggled with most since I've forgotten most of the rules behind circumferences and altitudes and what not. It's funny, I did better at trig than I did with basic multiplication. So if they don't allow calculators, I'm gonna have to take a really long time on the MR test haha.
some tricks for math part

sometimes it's easier to just evaluate each answer and check it against the question. it takes more time but you're less likely to make a silly mistake. in fact, in this one you can figure that since frank makes 21 parts in 4 hours and therefore 42 parts in 8 hours, in 7 hours he should make a little less than 42. the answer is obvious then.

this question asks you to solve a quadratic and cube a number. chances are that x is -1, 0, 1, 2, or maybe 3. anything else would probably be too difficult. i use this trick even into university level math. given a polynomial i need to solve, i immediately try 2. always take advantage of multiple choice

otherwise, what gatecrasher53 said.
^ That's actually how I figured out (another form of) that question Just guessed 2 and then solved it. As for the first one, I need to relearn my algebra and expressing the same thing in multiple ways. Cuz I knew the answer, just not how to express it.

Quote by padgea7x
Did that Mathematical reasoning exam to see how bad I've become, seeing as I haven't done any form of mathematics in about 4 years. Got 78% but dear lawd I've no idea how to workout the area of a triangle. Don't even care that I tried counting the squares, no shame. nope.

Try going on Khan Academy and doing its 'Basic Arithmetic' tests. As in multiplying, adding, subtracting, and dividing.

I actually did better on Coursera with finance and calculus than with just multiplying positive integers.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 22, 2015,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Try going on Khan Academy and doing its 'Basic Arithmetic' tests. As in multiplying, adding, subtracting, and dividing.

I actually did better on Coursera with finance and calculus than with just multiplying positive integers.

I'll hopefully be using Khan Academy quite a bit over the next few weeks, looks like its got a lot of topics I've been meaning to learn again.
Had a quick go at some of those Basic Arithmetic tests, all was going well and then it asked me to divide a fraction by a fraction. I make younger me look like a deity.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
In my experience the GED test was pretty easy, the hardest part for me was the math, and it was just basic math you know? Like I had to learn how to do decimals and fractions and percents and that was the hardest part of the whole test.

The place you take the test at should have a course that gives you a pre test, evaluates what you need to study so they can help prepare you for the actual test, and next you can take the actual GED test and get your GED. (at least that is how it went for me)

There should most likely be some optional bonus stuff you can do to get the program to pay for your test.. simple things like taking a workforce test (this could only be for my state, but it is basically just a certificate that shows you are not an idiot for future employers and took initiative to have some extra fluff to your resume)

I think GED is totally worth it. I got a scholarship for getting my GED!!! I could have worked really hard for four years to get a high GPA in highschool to get this same scholarship... It was easier and saved me a lot of time. I feel it is something you are better off with, then with out
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Last edited by luvs2gro at Jul 22, 2015,
That's comforting to hear. I mean understanding written passages is basically my only talent, fixing grammar is part of my job, physics and social studies are hobbies of mine. The sample questions were really easy and that's why I sorta freaked out, because I couldn't find any samples that would mimic my impression of an exam's difficulty (even the SAT questions are kinda simple). Basically I just need to work on my math skills.

Thanks again, everyone. Appreciate the support.
Page 1 of 2