Poll: Would you rather talk to people or click buttons?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you rather talk to people or click buttons?
I prefer talking to humans when making purchases.
18 38%
I'd rather click buttons and receive items.
22 46%
Does it really matter, TS?
8 17%
Voters: 48.
Page 1 of 2
I recently discovered my local McDonald's has had ordering touch screens installed. In fact, the only interaction with the staff that occurred was the person who assembles the orders shouting numbers indiscriminately into the room.

I quite like that I can order food and not have to talk to another human being.

What would you prefer and why?

[Edit: Extend this idea to all restaurants, shops etc.]
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at Jul 22, 2015,
I prefer it because it makes me feel less guilty about ordering a meal that has 4 million calories.

That's probably why they implemented the system in the first place.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by whywefight
if you want decent human interaction mcdonalds is the last place you should go lmao

Yeah. Voted for person anyway for in general.
this is great because you put in your order then the person making it just has to follow the reference instead of telling a person who barely speaks english one time and then they will probably mis-hear you or forget and not ask you before serving the wrong food

anywhere that servers anything should have this system in place
This is what companies do when you hike up labour costs #europe
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
This is what companies do when you hike up labour costs #europe

Actually I read an article that explained this pretty well. The McDonald's locations in question (in Europe at least) did this for restaurants in high traffic areas so that more of their staff could be focused on preparing the food. From what I've heard, workers weren't laid off, just relocated to different positions. In extremely busy restaurants, this improves efficiency.

Now, the completely mechanized McDonald's opening in Arizona or wherever, that's more in line with what you're suggesting.

So really it's more like #america
I don't go to McD's so I don't care.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
i don't really care either way

places like wawa benefit from having touch screen ordering things because they allow you to customize all sorts of stuff and that's much easier than trying to figure your order with a human
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Amuro Jay
Actually I read an article that explained this pretty well. The McDonald's locations in question (in Europe at least) did this for restaurants in high traffic areas so that more of their staff could be focused on preparing the food. From what I've heard, workers weren't laid off, just relocated to different positions. In extremely busy restaurants, this improves efficiency.

Now, the completely mechanized McDonald's opening in Arizona or wherever, that's more in line with what you're suggesting.

So really it's more like #america

Check labor costs between America and Europe. Hint: Europe's is higher. But you're right, McD's would never do anything to subvert those labour costs. McD's just wants efficiency for you loyal customers! They love to see you smile
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Jul 22, 2015,
I'm pretty sure just the existence of labour costs is enough for companies to want to have as few employees as possible.
#bringbackslavery
I just went thru Canada Customs at Toronto airport, no human contact at all, pushed buttons, walked out. Bit of eye contact is all. Pretty cool.
Depends on the place of business.
McD's, who gives a toss?

An actual restaurant, with, you know, cutlery, and a chef? People.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Wonder when the touchscreens will start demanding $15 an hour to take a fast food order

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I can see how that's convenient for some people but I really don't get the whole "Ugh, I actually have to talk to people to get things? This is awful." attitude.

I also don't understand people who get plain burgers at McDonalds.
Quote by homeless-john at #33512876
I can see how that's convenient for some people but I really don't get the whole "Ugh, I actually have to talk to people to get things? This is awful." attitude.

I also don't understand people who get plain burgers at McDonalds.

because mcdonalds gunk is horrible so yeah i dont get it either just get a better burger elsewhere that doesnt have awful gunk as default
I prefer speaking over the phone to the hot sounding pizza lady

"pickup or delivery?" *imagine a hot voice*

"oh, uh, I'd like two pizzas please"

"..." *sexy silence*
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
I prefer speaking over the phone to the hot sounding pizza lady

"pickup or delivery?" *imagine a hot voice*

"oh, uh, I'd like two pizzas please"

"..." *sexy silence*

With extra hot sausage.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33512901
With extra hot sausage.

I provide the hot sausage

unfortunately, she just answers the phone, so the hot sausage goes cold.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
For fast food it's great, especially at the wonderland known as Sheetz. This is also ubiquitous at the Minneapolis airport, which is nice if it's crowded since you don't need to waste time waiting for a server to come around.

For anywhere else I prefer human interaction.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I prefer it because it makes me feel less guilty about ordering a meal that has 4 million calories.

Well, this thread is over.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It's easier to order while drunk too.
Quote by Carnivean
Check labor costs between America and Europe. Hint: Europe's is higher. But you're right, McD's would never do anything to subvert those labour costs. McD's just wants efficiency for you loyal customers! They love to see you smile

I have no doubt that McDonald's would fire their entire workforce at once if it meant more profits, but the fact is that in these select locations the people removed from the order-taking positions were not fired. After all, even if you're not taking orders, you still have to have someone handling cash payments.

We all know what they would do, I'm just telling you what has been reported that they actually did. And I know you're aware of that, but you'd rather be a smart ass than acknowledge that.
I think it's fine for ordering fast food, but for some situations human interaction is preferable. Like when you need help picking out an item that will work best for you or whatever.

But yeah if I'm in a McDonald's in the first place, I'd rather get in and out as quick as possible with as little interaction as possible so I can hide my embarrassment and shame.

Quote by Amuro Jay at #33513163
After all, even if you're not taking orders, you still have to have someone handling cash payments.

Also this is not true. Almost every grocery store has automated check-out systems now that take your cash and dispense your change for you. Fast food restaurants could easily adopt this. The only thing that employees are still needed for are to cook the food (and even that could potentially be automated) and to stock the resteraunt and provide customer service.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 22, 2015,
Are We Human Or Are We Dancer
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
people, because I'm always pleasant to staff and try to make their job easier by not being a total dick to them

And you can't tell a joke to a machine.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
We got one like that a few years ago, and it was quite nice to use.

One thing I like was that they had quite a few machines, and I felt less inclined to hurry up.

I'm also wondering if people actually would like to go to a building without any staff. It would also open up the possibility for people to vandalize and stuff, if there's literally no human being to watch over the place.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Is a machine more likely to get my order right in the end? Cause few things are more annoying than walking back in to get my order fixed.
Quote by DukeDeRox
Is a machine more likely to get my order right in the end? Cause few things are more annoying than walking back in to get my order fixed.

This is kind of funny, because machines are often seen as advantageous because they in fact reduce or take away the ability for human error.

It's more a problem that if a machine goes faulty, and there's no protocol to deal with what's happening, it doesn't have the ability to self reflect to see if it did wrong or not, or write/execute a fitting program for it by itself.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 22, 2015,
Think about it like this: who does McDonald's think they're appealing to? I wouldn't be surprised if eventually ads for fat loss pills started appearing on those tablets. It'd be ingenious really.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Depends on the place of business.
McD's, who gives a toss?

An actual restaurant, with, you know, cutlery, and a chef? People.

Exactly
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Y'know I half expected this to be a thread about sexing robots. Good job, Pit.
I now automatically assume the worst out of Pit threads.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick at #33513264
Y'know I half expected this to be a thread about sexing robots. Good job, Pit.
I now automatically assume the worst out of Pit threads.

I have a thing for smells so ocassionally, while I'm in the missionary position, I may just lean towards her armpit and smell them. Usually, it doesn't smell nice at all...but that's part of the enjoyment for me.

With regards to foot fetish, my interest is pretty obvious. Pretty much anything related to female feet interest me. Currently in the process of building a moving robotic foot to simulate tapping/swirling motion so I can make use of my collection of well worn women's footwear that I've amassed over the years. It's all above board...suspending yourself beneath a tapping robot foot with a hot girl's shoe on it that you paid £100 for on eBay.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I find talking to strangers really scary sometimes but I prefer it to automated machines because I like talking to people no matter how scary it might be and I feel happier afterwards. I also trust a person to make special orders more than an automated system.

If they implement it here I hope they don't have to lay people off - the one near my house has had (mostly) the same crew for over 10 years and they're all people who can't afford to retire and idk who else would hire them for a job with the same benefits as McDonalds.
cat
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I think it's fine for ordering fast food, but for some situations human interaction is preferable. Like when you need help picking out an item that will work best for you or whatever.

But yeah if I'm in a McDonald's in the first place, I'd rather get in and out as quick as possible with as little interaction as possible so I can hide my embarrassment and shame.

Also this is not true. Almost every grocery store has automated check-out systems now that take your cash and dispense your change for you. Fast food restaurants could easily adopt this. The only thing that employees are still needed for are to cook the food (and even that could potentially be automated) and to stock the resteraunt and provide customer service.

Fair point. Forgot about that.
Page 1 of 2