I'm looking to buy my first gig-worthy amp after playing for 8 years. My budget is $800 bucks (although, I can go higher if the said amp is exactly what I'm looking for.) I know for $800, I'm not going to get a perfect amp, but I need something to start off on. I should note, I intend on using pedals for distortion/overdrive instead of on-board gain. After about a month of research (without testing anything,) I have narrowed down my search into 3 different amplifiers: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III, Marshall DSL40C, and Orange CR120. All 3 seem to be what I'm looking for. I think either of these amps would compliment my Strat loaded with Lace Sensor Hot Golds very well. The Orange obviously sticks out as the only solid state amp, but at this point, I don't care as long as it's loud and sounds good.

I play strictly Hard Rock/Heavy Metal (by which, I mean AC/DC: Hard Rock and Black Sabbath: Heavy Metal) type music; stuff that needs a good, moderately-distorted amp that can maintain some clarity. I try not to go overboard with the gain. However, I do take my clean sound into consideration as well. I'm leaning towards the HRD, because I'm planning on using pedals to get my distorted tones. It seems to have everything I want: relatively high wattage for the price, great headroom, and great clean tone. If it takes pedals well, I'd have absolutely no use for the drive channel, which I have heard numerous times that it's awful. Fender amps are the platform most pedal manufacturers base their pedals on, so I think it's a safe bet.

The DSL40C definitely has a great-sounding on-baord distortion (from what I've heard, the crunch channel sounds awesome,) but it seems like more of a high-gain amp, so I'm not sure if I'll get the exact tone I'm looking for. If you're on the "Clean" channel, you can't switch between clean and crunch with the footswitch because the clean and crunch share the same channel. Also, everything shares the same EQ, which would definitely be a problem.

The CR120C is tempting because of its 2x12 speakers and high wattage, but the lack of a middle control on the clean channel really worries me. Also, I'm not a fan of the Orange gain. Orange gain sounds a little "modern" for my taste. I'd definitely use the clean channel with a pedal for a distorted sound, and probably use the entire gain channel as a boost. Other than that, it seems like a great solid state amp.

On a side note, I've heard about the Jet City JCA5012C as well, but I've heard some bad reviews about them. Also I can't find a place that has any in stock.

Which amp would you suggest? Are there other amps around $800 bucks (new or used) that might be better choices?
Last edited by INURAH at Jul 23, 2015,
Of those, the DSL is a clear winner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Of those, the DSL is a clear winner.

+1 DSL is what i would go for.

the HRD has a terrible gain channel/mode. unusable IMO.

the Orange SS amps are nothing to write home about. i tried one for a few minutes and i happily unplugged it. also if you don't like the orange flavor, the SS Crush is just going to make it worse (IMO). they are a mess.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hard Rock and Heavy Metal? Marshall, Mesa, Orange, Peavey.

I am a pretty big fan of the HRD but not for those styles of guitar. Vintage, Classic Rock, and Surf, the HRD will work great.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I own a HRD. I love it.

It is NOT a good amp for metal.

Orange makes good amps for metal, but the tube ones are better than the SS ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 23, 2015,
dsl obviously
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X