Page 1 of 2
There is a 2007 Jackson DKMG on Craigslist right now for $200 and it looks perfect, only thing that is really stopping me from getting it is the bolt-on neck. I'm pretty sure it's bolt-on, may be set. I know that on my cheap Mustaine V everything is perfect: the intonation, truss rod, neck, etc. I just can't seem to get the action to be playable from the 15-24th frets. The DKMG was originally like $900 or $1,000 so I assume that would be higher quality. Every guitar I've owned has been neck-through expect the Mustaine V so I really have no experience with other bolt-ons.
Get it. DKMG's are great guitars.

If the fact that it's bolt-on is stopping you, then that's fine. You're only missing out on so many awesome guitars that happen to be bolt-on's.

But seriously, what makes you think the Jackson will be be the same story as your Dean? The fact that you cannot get the action on that guitar low enough has likely nothing to do with the fact that it's a bolt on.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 23, 2015,
For $200 if it is in great shape go for it, I have a DKMG and a DKMGT (no tremolo) and they are both awesome, Made in Japan at the Chushin Gakki factory they were listed at $900-$1000 depending on the year and yes they have great build quality.

I know that some people are snobs about bolt on necks but I own several bolt on necks (and several neck thru and a set neck) and have never had an issue with the bolt on. If you can't get your action right from fret 15 on up it is a set up problem unless you are referring to the thickness due to the heal and not the string height. Personally that has never really been an issue for me I love both of mine and these usually sell used for $400-$500 if they are in good shape so $200 is a good deal, I paid $300 each for both of mine and they are mint! Like T00DEEPBLUE said there are a lot of great bolt-ons out there and honestly comparing a MIJ Jackson from that price range to a low end Dean is like comparing a hamburger to a prime rib

Here is a pic of mine the blue one came stock with EMG passives and an afterburner, it has been upgraded to the 81/85 set with 18volt mod and the afterburner was left intact it is a fire breathing monster :

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 23, 2015,
In some cases bolt-on is the difference between good and poor quality, but in Jackson's case it's just the difference between Dinky and Soloist.

This is a sweeping opinion not meant to be all encompassing at all but I personally think bolt-ons are basically ideal as it means anything being wrong with the neck isn't the end of the guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
A perfect DKMG for $200 is a freaking steal. Try to keep a straight face when you buy it.

Post some pics and we can give you more info on it.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by PiercedBand
I know that on my cheap Mustaine V everything is perfect: the intonation, truss rod, neck, etc. I just can't seem to get the action to be playable from the 15-24th frets.

First things first.

Obviously everything on your cheap Mustaine V is NOT perfect if you can't get the action to be playable from the 15-24th frets. What you describe is often a symptom of a nut cut too high. You can't get your action set properly if you 1.) Don't have level frets and 2.) Don't have a correctly cut nut.

If you don't learn these lessons now and if you can't get your current guitar to play well, it's more than likely that you won't be able to get better guitars to do so, either, when they have similar issues.

On to your bolt-neck dilemma.

Leo Fender developed bolt-necks to be cheaper and faster to build. The advantage, after that, is that if you do something really stupid to the neck of your guitar, you can rip it off and put on a new one. Over the course of a long time and a lot of guitars, I've never needed to replace the neck on a guitar.

Bolt necks, like pickup trucks, were developed to be utilitarian and inexpensive ways to get a job done. That doesn't mean that folks haven't built expensive tarted-up versions of each. Folks do some fancy things with each, but they're still a bit clunky and both have an air of utility about them no matter how much they're smoothed over here and there.

My personal preference has always been for the sleek, smooth Ferraris of neck-throughs or well-done set necks. But it really boils down to personal preference, what you need and how you use your guitar.

Bolt necks are rare in my stack of guitars. At the moment, however, two of my most-used guitars are bolt-necks (Variax JTV-89Fs). The construction type is being overlooked because the rest of the guitar has what I want, and because there's been some effort made to reduce the "clunk" factor where the neck meets the body. A tonneau cover for the pickup bed, if you will. They're not cheap guitars ($1200 apiece) in Korean form (what I bought) and they're three times that in US-made versions.

But before you buy, you still need to learn how to set up your guitars correctly.
Quote by metalmingee
A perfect DKMG for $200 is a freaking steal. Try to keep a straight face when you buy it.

Post some pics and we can give you more info on it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I saw one at GC for $299, if I didn't already have two I would have nabbed it instead of the Washburn Parallaxe PXM10, it has a bolt on neck but it has the Stevens Extended Cutaway and it has better upper fret access than my neck through's (still love my neck through's)
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I think I can post the picture, I'm using my phone so not sure if it will show up. But yeah it's in perfect condition and the guy who has it is the original owner so it's not like it has been through tons of trashy, grubby hands
Why would bolt on necks scare people? To me it just means the neck can be repaired, removed, etc. easily instead of major surgery.
There was a debate/experiment a while back as to whether/how much the neck joint they affect tone, and if I remember correctly the outcome was that it doesn't have any real noticeable impact.

The neck joint type shouldn't matter. How it feels and sounds is what matters.
Quote by PiercedBand
They scare me cuz the only one I've had with a bolt-on neck is terrible

Doesn't matter. A good guitar with a bolt on is a good guitar regardless, a bad guitar with any neck joint is a bad guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Very true. At least I could adjust a bolt on neck in minutes without surgery. I could change a bolt on neck in minutes for that matter. I just see it as convenience I guess. I do own non-bolt on neck guitars, each have it's place. My Ibanez RG is bolt on neck and I'll buy a new neck when the time comes as I have options.
Quote by Random3

The neck joint will have some impact on how it feels though.
Quote by PiercedBand
There is a 2007 Jackson DKMG on Craigslist right now for $200 and it looks perfect, only thing that is really stopping me from getting it is the bolt-on neck. I'm pretty sure it's bolt-on, may be set. I know that on my cheap Mustaine V everything is perfect: the intonation, truss rod, neck, etc. I just can't seem to get the action to be playable from the 15-24th frets. The DKMG was originally like $900 or $1,000 so I assume that would be higher quality. Every guitar I've owned has been neck-through expect the Mustaine V so I really have no experience with other bolt-ons.

-2007 Jackson DKMG. sounds too good to be true. but buy it anyway if it actually is.

-many fine guitars are bolt-ons. don't be silly. if the dkmg has a wrecked neck buy it anyway and get a replacement neck (they're all over ebay) and you'll still be a winner.

-your cheap mustaine v is cheap and should not be used as a benchmark of quality. get the thing set up as best as can be done.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 23, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
-2007 Jackson DKMG. sounds too good to be true. but buy it anyway if it actually is.

I agree $200 for a DKMG sounds to good to be true, if it is it's a killer deal, check to be sure it's not a DXMG with a flat top, passive EMGs and Shark Tooth inlays instead of the piranha inlays if it is that price is on point for that model but it would still be a decent buy, DXMGs were about $700 new and good used ones can be anywhere from $200-$350, I have one of them too and it is MIJ and quite nice I gave $175 for it and it is mint!

- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Tempoe
DKMG is made in Japan?, if so...wow

Yup DMKGs were made in Japan, the Chushin Gakki factory no longer manufactures guitars for Jackson, some of the DXMGs were MIJ as well, though some where from India it depends on the year.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Tempoe at #33514258
DKMG is made in Japan?, if so...wow

Yup. All the Jackson Pro Series guitars between 2006-2010 (or so) were made in the same Japanese factory as the old Jackson/Charvels were made in the late 80's and through the 90's.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by PiercedBand
Is there really much you could do for a broken neck on a neck-through?

Depends entirely on the break. I would say that if you have a maple neck there's next to no chance of a break in the first place except maybe at the head, but it'd still require some shenanigans.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by PiercedBand at #33514185
Is there really much you could do for a broken neck on a neck-through?

Neck breaks are usually not so severe that they're irrepairable. The large majority can be, but it depends on the nature of the break. Its not so much a matter of if a repair is even possible, but if repairing the neck is cost effective.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's definitely the DKMG, the guy just wants to thin the herd. Plus it couldn't hurt to look ya know?

And yeah I figured the cost of fixing the neck would be a factor in whether getting it repaired is worth it or not.
Quote by Random3
There was a debate/experiment a while back as to whether/how much the neck joint they affect tone, and if I remember correctly the outcome was that it doesn't have any real noticeable impact.

You're correct about that last.

Ignore that "debate/experiment" regarding the neck joint; it was an experiment involving no guitars whatsoever done very badly by a guitar builder in his workshop and published in his club journal. It was regarding sustain only (not tone), it was highly subjective, and the original article is never quoted, only some badly-done conclusions.
Quote by jpjr50
Why would bolt on necks scare people? To me it just means the neck can be repaired, removed, etc. easily instead of major surgery.

For most people that option is theoretical, not practical.
Set necks occasionally have headstock breaks (Gibson in particular) and the neck/headstock is repaired and the guitar goes on. In cases where the glue joint has issues, the neck is reset and it goes on. There's no particular advantage to a bolt neck there. It's brought more as a possibility than a likelihood.
Quote by dspellman
Ignore that "debate/experiment" regarding the neck joint; it was an experiment involving no guitars whatsoever done very badly by a guitar builder in his workshop and published in his club journal. It was regarding sustain only (not tone), it was highly subjective, and the original article is never quoted, only some badly-done conclusions.

I'm not sure if I ever actually read it but I'll have another look when I get home, I wasn't aware he was only measuring sustain though.
I was reading quite a bit the differences between set and bolt-on necks and I came across something that was an experiment on sustain
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Neck breaks are usually not so severe that they're irrepairable. The large majority can be, but it depends on the nature of the break. Its not so much a matter of if a repair is even possible, but if repairing the neck is cost effective.

I found this old 1989 interview with MSG on YouTube and Michael Schenker was showing the reporter the repair job on one of his Gibson Flying Vs from a headstock break. The luthier had done a bit of routing and repaired the break using pieces of three drumsticks as a splint running vertically from the neck through the bottom of the headstock it was sanded smooth, had no paint, it looked weird as all get out but it worked. Michael was proud of it, cheesing all the way it was probably one of his favorite Axes.

He shows the repair @ about 7:11 into the video.

https://youtu.be/hczdYkl0MDg
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

That is a pretty bizarre way to do it.

But hey it would be a strong repair. Most drumsticks are made from maple.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That is a pretty bizarre way to do it.

But hey it would be a strong repair. Most drumsticks are made from maple.

That's what I thought, plus the three sticks would have different grain patterns which would add strength plus whatever glue was used.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

There's always this method!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
What do you guys think of Jackson's Floyd Rose on the DKMG?

By the way, that headstock repair on the Les Paul looks like a good way to get lockjaw!
Quote by PiercedBand at #33514702

It's a Licensed Floyd. Replace it with a real Floyd.

It's a small price to pay for such a good guitar. It's one of those (few) situations were replacing a Floyd makes sense. Because the Floyd is the only achilles heel of the guitar. The rest of it is great.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by PiercedBand

By the way, that headstock repair on the Les Paul looks like a good way to get lockjaw!

The Jackson Floyd's are usually pretty stable I have them on three guitars and the stay tuned, if you wear it out you can always drop an Original Floyd in there for about $200 The original Floyd's are definitely better though!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

So in order to replace a Floyd do I just take one out and put the other one in and I'm done?
Quote by PiercedBand
They scare me cuz the only one I've had with a bolt-on neck is terrible

just one bad one. owned tons of bolt on neck guitars over theyears and rarely have had issues (unless the guitar was dirt cheap). had a coupe of set necks that just weren't quite right as well. go for it and i'm sure it will be fine. seems like you could easily get your money back out of it (and perhaps make some) if it doesn't work for you.
Quote by PiercedBand at #33514782
So in order to replace a Floyd do I just take one out and put the other one in and I'm done?

In the Jackson's case, yup. It's that simple. Sometimes knockoff floyds don't have the same dimensions and post spacings as the OFR, so replacing them is a nightmare. But this isn't the case with the Jacksons. Their old LFR dimensions are similar to the real thing.

Just be sure to get a version of the Floyd that has the appropriate length of block. Anything between a 34-37mm block will do. I know because I've replaced my DK2M's Floyd with a Schaller Lockmeister (essentially a German-made OFR with a Schaller stamp on it) and I unknowingly bought it with a 42mm block and it ended up sticking out of the back of the guitar. I bought a shorter 37mm brass big block to replace it and it fits fine.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thanks! Now all I have to worry about is just getting the money for the Floyd whenever I want to get it instead of that plus installation fees.
Cheapest way to get a good, reliable Floyd is to get a Floyd Rose Special and replace the sustain block and saddles.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by PiercedBand
Thanks! Now all I have to worry about is just getting the money for the Floyd whenever I want to get it instead of that plus installation fees.

I'd say if instead of whenever. The trem may be just fine. If the guitar is perfect it's most likely a case queen with no wear. Research how to perform setups and maintenance on a Floyd as well before you dive into anything.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Page 1 of 2