Alright so recently I've been getting into playing the guitar again. I have a classic, electric and now I want to buy an acoustic-electric guitar. Problem is that I'm not looking into spending $500+ for a guitar because of it's name ya know?

So I went to my nearest Guitar Center and checked out some guitars. Currently I'm looking at the Yamaha FSX700SC (BUT I have to wait until Aug. 14th to pick it up because they have a 30-day hold policy in case it's stolen, and I really hate waiting) or the the Ibanez AEW40CD (Yea I know it's like $400 but my dad's willing to split it with me since he liked it also.)

To answer some questions about myself and my guitar experience:
- I'm an intermediate guitar player
- Looking forward to play it at home with friends or something and usually at some family gatherings with 50-100 people.

So yea what do you guys think about the 2 guitars I listed above? If not those 2, what other acoustic electric guitars do you recommend that will fit my needs and price range?

Thank you
Yamaha >>> Ibanez almost always.

HST, $250 is not a lot for an electro-acoustic guitar.
We get a lot of such questions....A "good" instrument for very little money. 200 dollars currently is about as "low as you can go" to get an actual playable guitar. There are cheaper ones, of course, some under 100 dollars.

To make an analogy with another area of interest of mine.....We refer to the very cheap bicycles available from Walmart as "BSOs" or, "Bicycle Shaped Object". Not really worthy of even the small amount of money spent.

When you buy a very cheap acoustic-electric, you have to figure that the electronics and installation represent a fair portion of the overall price, and thus compromises are being made in either the guitar or the electrics.
So, to be as politically correct as possible, you are not getting an optimal device....

By upping your budget just a bit....Perhaps to the 500-ish range, I think you could get a much more satisfying guitar.
You're really not going to get a very enjoyable guitar for $250 when you need a piezo as well as the guitar itself. Making a guitar costs a certain amount of money and when you're only talking about such cheap guitars, you don't have to spend very much more money to get a vastly superior guitar. In order for a manufacturer to make a profit on a guitar so cheap, they need to cut corners in every single stage of the design and manufacturing process. And there comes a law of diminishing returns where you get a vastly inferior guitar relative to not a particularly significant saving on cost. And in your particular price range, is that no less the case.

Get the best guitar you can possibly afford. Skimping a few bucks is a false economy. Yamaha really do make the best guitars in this price range across the board.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 23, 2015,
if you can go up $50, i'd recommend the yamaha FG700S - it's got a solid top, and honestly full body yamahas are the best in the budget range. i would NOT suggest a yamaha APXT2 - their thin body all laminate guitars sound very boxy. if you wait for the next GC/MF sale event, you can probably get $45 off the price of the FG700, which would put it within $5 of your budget.

ibanez acoustics in this price range look purty, but don't sound too good to my ear - ditto epiphones, and low cost deans the same and quieter. i'd have recommended the all laminate, full depth yamaha acoustic electrics, but i don't see them around anymore.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by partyhats26
Alright so recently I've been getting into playing the guitar again. I have a classic, electric and now I want to buy an acoustic-electric guitar. Problem is that I'm not looking into spending $500+ for a guitar because of it's name ya know?

So I went to my nearest Guitar Center and checked out some guitars. Currently I'm looking at the Yamaha FSX700SC (BUT I have to wait until Aug. 14th to pick it up because they have a 30-day hold policy in case it's stolen, and I really hate waiting) or the the Ibanez AEW40CD (Yea I know it's like $400 but my dad's willing to split it with me since he liked it also.)

To answer some questions about myself and my guitar experience:
- I'm an intermediate guitar player
- Looking forward to play it at home with friends or something and usually at some family gatherings with 50-100 people.

So yea what do you guys think about the 2 guitars I listed above? If not those 2, what other acoustic electric guitars do you recommend that will fit my needs and price range?

Thank you

I've heard those Yamahas are pretty good. If you go used you might be able to find something pretty nice. I found a Taylor 110 e for $400 with a solid case and stand on Craigslist (yesterday), for example. I don't know about the Ibanez, but you know they have guitar reviews on this site right? Not all guitars are listed, but a good number of them are.
I have a Fender GDC - 100 - SCE - NAT (acoustic/electric cutaway) made in Korea. Solid top, burly grain sides and back, black purfling, looks stunning. Gold tone closed tuning gears. I bought it for the sound especially the volume and long sustain of the top E. No setup needed though I may eventually shave the nut down a little. 1 5/8" width nut. I keep it tuned for open d maj songs (with 6 guitars I don't need to change tuning a lot).
$250.00 retail I paid $200.00.
Quote by patticake
if you can go up $50, i'd recommend the yamaha FG700S - it's got a solid top, and honestly full body yamahas are the best in the budget range. i would NOT suggest a yamaha APXT2 - their thin body all laminate guitars sound very boxy. if you wait for the next GC/MF sale event, you can probably get $45 off the price of the FG700, which would put it within $5 of your budget.
Here in the US, given the right phase of the moon, etc., you could own a Yamaha FGX-700 for a bit over $250.00.

If you need the guitar tomorrow, it likely won't happen. But, if you wait til Labor day, and make the right phone call, to the right online dealer,.

If we're gong to trash the Epiphones, we should probably be mindful of a couple of points. Within their same model name guitars, the acoustic only versions may be laminate, while the A/E version, has a solid top.

This happens with the "Dove Pro", the Hummingbird Pro", and EJ-200-SCE models. All the aforementioned guitars have solid tops, while the acoustic only versions, are full laminate. The laminate top versions carry an "Artist" model designation.

The Hummingbird and Dove "Pro" models, enjoy the same daily sell and MAP as the FGX-700. A ton of those have been sold over the years, the QA is excellent from Sammick, so I don't think they deserve a patent write off with out a listen.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 24, 2015,
Get the best guitar you can possibly afford.

I despise this advice.

I see it often for all sorts of things including bikes and houses of all things. There's so much wrong with it.
Last edited by gr7070 at Jul 24, 2015,
sorry, put up the wrong guitar model. thanks for catching that!

the epiphones that i'd recommend won't fall in his price range with electronics. the EJ-200-SCE is $150 over his price range. their lower priced models don't sound too good...

Quote by Captaincranky
Here in the US, given the right phase of the moon, etc., you could own a Yamaha FGX-700 for a bit over $250.00.

If you need the guitar tomorrow, it likely won't happen. But, if you wait til Labor day, and make the right phone call, to the right online dealer,.

If we're gong to trash the Epiphones, we should probably be mindful of a couple of points. Within their same model name guitars, the acoustic only versions may be laminate, while the A/E version, has a solid top.

This happens with the "Dove Pro", the Hummingbird Pro", and EJ-200-SCE models. All the aforementioned guitars have solid tops, while the acoustic only versions, are full laminate. The laminate top versions carry an "Artist" model designation.

The Hummingbird and Dove "Pro" models, enjoy the same daily sell and MAP as the FGX-700. A ton of those have been sold over the years, the QA is excellent from Sammick, so I don't think they deserve a patent write off with out a listen.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The idea of buying used is dependent on your level of expertise. I made the comparison to bicycles earlier...And this applies as well. It's quite possible to pick up a very nice-looking bike for a hundred bucks that will prove to need three times that much money to be rendered rideable.
A knowlegeable mechanic (like me) knows what to look for and can quickly decide if the minor repairs justify the price or if it's in need of major surgery.

Remember, the instrument is being sold for a reason. Maybe the owner just quit playing or the kid left home or whatever and you're getting a bargain. But maybe not.
$300 - Epiphone Dove Pro or Hummingbird Pro. I just bought the Dove last month and I can't believe it only cost $300, feels like a $600 guitar. Comes loaded with a soundhole-mounted fishman preamp and EXCELLENT Grover tuners. The looks aren't gonna please everyone, but it honestly looks better in real life than it does in pictures.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick