Hi Guys, I've been playing bass for about two years now and I've began to notice that I get hand cramp in my little finger on my fretting hand after during practices. Can anyone recommend any exercises I can do to remedy this?
First, try some simple stretching exercises for your fingers before you sit down to play. After that, try various chromatic exercises, where you employ different finger combinations while fretting the notes. Finally, DO NOT try to "play through the pain." This will lead to an injury that will take a very long time to heal, and you do not want that.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Potassium!
I used to get bad hand cramps too. Especially when playing a very repetitive song with little or no position changes (whole lotta love, paranoid)
I'll eat a banana or two and coconut water an hour or two before playing and it helps tremendously. Potassium helps relax the muscles so they don't over tighten and cramp up.
i had issues like this, and exercise made it worse. if you over-extend a finger, wrist or shoulder over a period of time, you can have issues, and if you keep doing it, the issues can get worse. it's worth finding out from a doctor what the problem is before you continue playing through it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Jcrider303
Potassium!
I used to get bad hand cramps too. Especially when playing a very repetitive song with little or no position changes (whole lotta love, paranoid)
I'll eat a banana or two and coconut water an hour or two before playing and it helps tremendously. Potassium helps relax the muscles so they don't over tighten and cramp up.

And manganese.

You'll also want to run your fretting hand technique by a good teacher who teaches a "classical" style guitar. You can't use the "rock guitarist" style and avoid problems.

If you've got your bass slung horizontally down around your groin when standing, reconsider positioning it higher and at a 45 degree angle. The one looks cool, but it will kill your wrists and hands.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 24, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
And manganese.

You'll also want to run your fretting hand technique by a good teacher who teaches a "classical" style guitar. You can't use the "rock guitarist" style and avoid problems.

If you've got your bass slung horizontally down around your groin when standing, reconsider positioning it higher and at a 45 degree angle. The one looks cool, but it will kill your wrists and hands.

Great points about bass position. Playing the bass down around your knees only suits root 1/8 note pounding with a pick. E>G Ramones style. Anything melodic the bass is held higher
Quote by Jcrider303
Potassium!

Great, I will try it. In the early days playing hurt like hell. Then it disappears completely. Nearly 30 years on it comes back.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think part of the problem is my fretting hand position. I'm putting way too much pressure on my thumb, and i think that could be part of the issue.
Bass exersizes for dummies (don't yell at me) suggests pressing your finger lightly against your thumb and "flicking" it. It is supposed to help blood flow in your fingers. Also, if your pinky is pulling away from the neck when you are not using it, it will create a lot of tension in your hand
A society that trades liberty for freedom deserves neither and will lose both. Ben Franklin
Quote by anarkee
^hahahaha :| . That shit doesn't work anyway.

Wait, it doesn t get rid of your menstrual cramps?
And with that, my Bass guitar knowledge is complete
A society that trades liberty for freedom deserves neither and will lose both. Ben Franklin